Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114553 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2016, 01:06:06 pm »

Alternativly, we have no medics, and everyone speciallizes in murder.
Seems sensible approach. Because everyone's goal is to murder the city.
So we should stab a wall?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2016, 01:11:35 pm »

Performance should be evaluated as a team. A medic shouldn't be missing out for patching people up rather than actively beating things to death.

Yes, that's the point I'm trying to make.  Though, simply evaluating everyone as a team isn't such a good idea--it makes incompetency (and competency) matter less to an individual, because if one person on a team is incompetent, they'll still gdt paid well due to their teammates carrying them.

Alternativly, we have no medics, and everyone speciallizes in murder.

Yes, that's what piecewise was going for.  I just think it is a terrible, terrible idea to have no medics in a game run by PW.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:00 pm »

It's a PW game. We're gonna need medics in some form or another. Or we could have straight up health potions that could come with their own !!FUN!! side effects.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2016, 01:41:52 pm »

Sounds like you just need to go to zero faith if you're injured and need to heal fast.
Well, someone was going to try it anyway.

Seeing as we've talked a bit about stats, can I complain about the char stat in ER? We mostly encounter hostiles, it works... oddly, infrequently, one can just as well say stuff oneself without rolling iirc, and those times it does work it's incredibly OP and weird (like in the shameful refugees who may suddenly turn into a well organised militia if Morgan Freeman rolls well and wishes it to be so). Oro sounds like we'd need even less of it, so could it be done away with entirely?

PW simulates crowd/civilian behaviour (running away from nasty invading kidnappers) pretty well, so the char stat often seems incongruous.
One wheel short of a wagon

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:13 pm »

Believe he said he wanted quicker character turnover, no medics is a step in that direction, yeah?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »

Yeah, one possible way to do it is make it so supportive actions/roles are dependent on items only (eg the aforementioned health potions) and explain it that every soldier send out into the unholy city is expected to be a self sufficient unit, with specialized experts staying in the relative safety of the city. This lessens need for teamplay and seems a loss in terms of option for characterization (for a lot of chars, their role/job is a big part of what defines them), but also makes some things easier (eg no need to try and balance teams you send out, though weapon/fightstyle synergies would still be a thing).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2016, 03:19:34 pm »

The need to not balance teams would be a good thing, I suppose, since PW has mentioned that teams would be randomly selected.  Random selection could result in an all-support team, or an all-combat team, either of which is more likely to fail than a mixed team.  Hmm.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2016, 03:47:57 pm »

Why not have non-combat personnel? Since the whole city is corrupted, that means you will be facing not just scary demons with fists and weapons, but living architecture, mechanized constructions, and evil auras. Why not a priest class that purges auras, rendering an item or location "clean," a mechanic class that disassembles and reassembles machinery, converting a machine of war into a wheat harvester, or some such, and a thief type class that opens secret ways, digs to the heart of a building to remove the building's core, shuting it down from within, so that others can enter and do the stuff they do? A healer class could be a passive healer - essentially a faith tank that provides health bonuses to the team by virtue of being nearby. A support class could provide bonuses to teammates that they wouldn't get alone. Shield of faith that flamethrowing maniac setting fire to the horde of robotic weasels trying to devour his head. Cast cloak of darkness on the thief as he navigates a catwalk to cut loose the Eye of Boody Dismemberment guarding the Room of Unnecessary Chainsaw Handed LizardSpawn.

Priest classes cold gain xp for per location or item cleansed, healers for amount of damage they redirect, support could gain xp either per successful buff, or per successful action of theteammate so buffed, or simply asa share in the xp gained by buffed teammates.

The need to not balance teams would be a good thing, I suppose, since PW has mentioned that teams would be randomly selected.  Random selection could result in an all-support team, or an all-combat team, either of which is more likely to fail than a mixed team.  Hmm.
Or this could happen. yeah.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2016, 05:19:57 pm »

-snip

I definitely like all of this and agree that having either everyone have a combat role and a support role or just support roles with combat usefulness would be great and add lots of customization. So for example you could have a bow-thief or a bow-healer and they would be different enough that they wouldn't just overshadow one another.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2016, 08:13:22 am »

I do wonder if random selection couldn't give problems with getting really unbalanced teams, or preventing people who like to play together from ever getting that chance. Say your char bonds with another while waiting in the city or through some event, and then you'd really like to go on an expedition together to further flesh out that relationship with shared experiences beyond just endless walls of rp some talking, that might be really difficult if it's truly random selection and there's a lot of players. Maybe some way where you can skip a sortie when you're chosen so someone else can go, but then for the next mission you are automatically (given the option to be) added to the team before the others are randomly added. And putting people in a list of people not eligible for new missions until the old pool is depleted (which runs the risk of the last expedition being under strength, though that could be hilarious in it's own right. Or just restarting the pool then but then not putting those people on the 'already went' list if they didn't go during the last pool as well).

More random locations ideas:

-location without gravity. Might be difficult to play straight for gm, but could give some interesting poritional gameplay.
-large muddy bombed-out fields (kinda like the cliche WW1 trench battlefield) with monsters made from barbed wire and pits filled with mustard gas. Watch your step.
-Imagine a very large and wide skyscraper. Now imagine someone pushed it over, perhaps over a large pit or swamp to prevent people just walking around it. Now you gotta navigate through that thing from 'top' to 'bottom', with lots of 'pits' (doorways) and difficult to reach passages, air vents to sneak through and all that jazz.
-inside Dev's head. This is the ultra-elite hard area, with literally no exit, because exits are for easy-mode scrubs  :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:39:01 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2016, 11:24:04 am »

You guys shouldn't worry too much about the mechanics yet, because I'm not.

For now, the setting and the area is much more important.

Related note, aggulutination. Learn to fear it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2016, 11:25:02 am »

Well that's ominous.

So there's a time limit?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2016, 11:29:54 am »

An area (probably a field with a few small hills) with living beings that resemble Electricity Transmission Towers, great multi-armed  metallic skeletal giants, with electrical wires dangling from their arms, with said sense ending in a line of circular ceramic insulators. Would probably be a really dangerous area, unless the players are either smart or powerful.
My inspiration came from Don Quixote fighting the windmills.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:32:18 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:54 am »

You guys shouldn't worry too much about the mechanics yet, because I'm not.

For now, the setting and the area is much more important.

Related note, aggulutination. Learn to fear it.

Thing is that setting and area could be different depending on the mechanics, seeing as how they are intertwined to some extend.

Anyways, I'll have to reiterate the earlier question then: what time period/technology level are we talking here?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

@Parisbre:The original, or the xkcd?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88