Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars IC  (Read 7931 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars IC
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2016, 07:48:37 pm »

"Well, all for?" Tokoda says, raising her hand in approval.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2016, 08:00:37 pm »

Gert nods.

"Seems a reasonable choice."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2016, 12:00:28 pm »

Fiori also raises her hand. She hoped they wouldn't have to voidtoss such a pleasant person...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:33 am »

During the voyage, the various crew take up tasks around the ship. Aside from the standard drudgery - cooking, cleaning, and sleeping - they undertook their own tasks.

Action: Fiori spends the journey trying to hone her connection with Cormyr and teach him some 'tricks'-by which I mean she tells him what to do, and he decides if it's worth his time. She wants to train other beasts, as noted, and this little fellow is a good start as any...
Fiori tries to teach a young dragon new tricks. Unfortunately, Cormyr seems to have picked up on the mood on the ship, and is rebellious. The mean strike native to dragons comes to the fore - and Fiori finds herself singed, clawed, and hidden from for her efforts. The rest of the ship is treated to several iterations of elvish curses.

"As for me, I happen to not be particularily interested in whomever becomes the captain as long as the orders are reasonable, but most importantly profitable in the end. I'm an enterpreneur at heart, after all. Which reminds me that I should see the entirety of this... void-worthy... vessel and see what we've got for bargaining."

Richard signs the paper, then does not vote for a Captain proposal and instead begins scouting the entirety of accessible ship areas to do an inventory check and see what scrap or machinery can be sold without disturbing the ship's performance in any way.

"Anything in particular I should not touch? Hmm hmm, pity there's no one here is there." Richard mumbled as he, during his check of the ship, ultimately stumbled into the engine room. Not being a mischievious gremlin nor a dumb animal, he merely gave everything a looksie from respectable distance of at least few meters.

Checking the inventory, you could probably sell the Captain's clothes and books for a fair few coins, or sell the miscellaneous bits in the hold for some. Worst comes to worst, you could sell your food, but then things would be really desperate. A starving crew isn't a good crew.

Still, the Captain wasn't so poor - there should be a ship coffer somewhere. An indeed, there is.

For the rest of the voyage, Tokoda adjusts the ship's course to deter pursuit while on her watch. During her off-time, she familiarizes herself with the inner-workings of the Fist of the Moon, looking to learn how to upgrade it later.

You take a course you're pretty sure any pursuer wouldn't expect. It's good enough that you don't lose any time, and you see no vessels after you in the times you check behind you.

You spend the rest of your time with that ancient weapon - the Fist of the Moon. While you're not entirely certain how to o about it, some kind of automatic loading, or demon-assisted aim might help. A simple spirit could make it shoot more powerfully, though magical assistance would mean it'd also consume mana with each shot in addition to your limited amount of shells. Still, being alive is typically better than being rich but dead.

Gert uses his downtime to talk to the demons in the works of the ship, querying them about the Not-There as well as any other information they are willing to give on the subject of demons to keep in the practice of talking to those mysterious creatures, while making sure the machines they inhabit don't break.

The two major demons in the ship are sealed in the engine and the life support.
Gottarjang, the drive demon, chitters that all is well on his front, and he is well fed. He looks like a bloated centipede - his flesh seems to bulge out the gaps in his exoskeleton - but his head resembles a carved human mask of ivory, marked with three scratches as if it had been clawed.
However, he gets rather irritable when you ask him about the Not-Here.
"Not-Here is Not-Here. Not here is where you should be." It chitters sullenly, and refuses to speak any more. Oh dear.

Axaspheous is the other demon, and rather unpleasant to look at - as if someone took a bunch of lungs, still breathing, and molded them into one being. It's more willing to talk, and remembering Gottarjang's reaction, you stick to safer topics. It tells you of how it maintains gravity and air as directed by the wards on the ship, and how they are made and maintained. You're not quite sure how some of it works, when it talks about using senses you're pretty sure you don't have, but you learn some about demons from what it says.

Of the lesser demons on board the ship, there's the gremlins in the boots of the voidsuits, so small and simple-minded they barely even have names beyond a syllable.
There's the demon in the demon-locked chest, but it doesn't seem keen on conversation, something that you find utterly unsurprising.

Also, ponder if I can find a way we can return to that-one-place-where-the-Captain-went-ded, in analyzing paths we can take to make a silent and secret landing--for future reasons.

You figure you could always go into orbit and berth on the opposite side of the rock to the docks, and walk in your voidsuits over to the docks - with a bit of care, you could doubtless sneak in without much effort.

If there's enough time to, with the whole iron chest fiasco, attempt to guess the password of the feywood chest.

It takes you less time than you expected to retrieve the fragment of lockpick and start again. Before too long, the iron chest pops open, revealing the ships coffer. Over three hundred disks of mana gleam up at you. That's... quite a lot. Unfortunately, you feel the need to inform the rest of the crew of your discovery, as you don't feel that they'd believe you if you said there was nothing in the chest. That does not mean, however, you told them quite the correct figure...

You have the opportunity to take some of the 320m for yourself, but too much would be suspicious. The ship wasn't doing that poorly.

After several days of travel, the pinpoint that is Culworkes appears on the horizon. The sight can't help but pick up the ship's mood - and the new captain wastes no time in berthing at the docks. As a smaller town, the docks here have no berthing charge, for fear of driving away business.

Still, it's not long since you've docked when Granite Ironblood announces his intentions to find his own way.

Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:31:13 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:50 pm »

Tokoda, standing at the wheel, glances over to Vaye. They were in orbit about Culworkes, and Tokoda had just gotten the landing vector. All she needed was "Permission to bring her in, Captain?" Ancestors, that would take some getting used to.

Tokoda gives Granite a friendly punch and a sad smile. "Take care of yourself, mate."

"Anyone want to find somewhere to sell off our cargo?"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:49:26 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »

Stunned in silence after being voted in, Vaye spent the rest of her duties double-checking that everything was alright--casting a glance here, peeking over there, and in general providing overwatch for the rest of the crew despite not knowing much about demonfriends and several other workings, jumbled as her knowledge was while being fatigued.

"You're free to dock, Tokoda." Vaye replied, preferring to call people by their names rather than their profession. Calling Tokoda a 'helmsman' didn't have that jive with her as of the current time. She tensed up as she felt the burden of authority hanging over her.

As soon as the ship met the docks, Vaye called upon all on board and issued a status update: What was found in the Captain's Quarters, what the current mission or quest was, and who were capable of completing it (and who would stay on ship).

She nodded with acknowledgement at Granite's notice of leave. "Well wishes on your path ahead. I hope we meet again one day."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:48:11 pm by Tiruin »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:31 pm »

"The thing is, we don't have neither that much cargo nor anything particularily valuable amongst it. We would have to peddle cheap wares for singular coins." Richard was still in grumbly mood that the ship didn't carry crates upon crates of expensive goodies he could pawn to enrich himself the crew.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »

Stunned in silence after being voted in, Vaye spent the rest of her duties double-checking that everything was alright--casting a glance here, peeking over there, and in general providing overwatch for the rest of the crew despite not knowing much about demonfriends and several other workings, jumbled as her knowledge was while being fatigued.

"You're free to dock, Tokoda." Vaye replied, preferring to call people by their names rather than their profession. Calling Tokoda a 'helmsman' didn't have that jive with her as of the current time. She tensed up as she felt the burden of authority hanging over her.

As soon as the ship met the docks, Vaye called upon all on board and issued a status update: What was found in the Captain's Quarters, what the current mission or quest was, and who were capable of completing it (and who would stay on ship).

Fiori had spent more of intervening time in trip (aside from being scorched and slashed by her 'pet') standing guard over Vaye, learning her habits-she was a bodyguard, after all...what exactly she was defending her from was somewhat ambiguous. During these times, she rarely talked, preferring to stay ever vigilant.

Only after a few hours, did she approach Vaye more directly, holding something in her hands. She was unusually tumble tongued, for one so sure of herself usually.

"Vay...Er, Captain Va...Er, Commander Alarai! I have something for you.

As an honor to our late Captain, I figured you can maybe wear this-it's about as close to a badge of office as he had. It should increase the morale of the crew! A strong Leader needs certain trappings of power, yes?"
Fio was thinking about the ornate vestiges her own Clan Chiefs and Queens had worn-much more regal than her slowly fading Ironleaf coat, try as she may to keep it in top shape...

Fiori handed over a battered Campaign Cap with a green cloth stripe around the rim to Vaye-the Captain had hardly been seen on board without his signature hat, and often made a habit of including it in his gestures and motions-it had been a part of him, and by extension the ship itself. He only took the hat off when disembarking at port, for what reason he had not discussed, at least with Fiori. No doubt just one of the many oddities any man might pick up in his life-thought it might have been an unconscious lack of command confidence at his baldness-and, Fiori had thought it right and just for the new Captain to wear it-feeling the loss of any singular life and it's sum of vast change, life experiences and small inconsequential habits, was truly something of a tragedy...it was odd of her to mourn a man she hardly knew personally (and a feeling the crew apparently didn't share), but she felt a keen sense of loss. She had never taken the deaths of comrades 'well'.

"...He never wore if off the ship...perhaps he thought it ill fortune...but, I suppose you will have your own way of doing things."

"As for our mission, we've not much to barter, as Richard says. We might use the ship funds to buy a hold full of cargo...or, perhaps we'll hit the locals up, to scare out some more...interesting work? I'm sure there's plenty to keep us occupied." Personally, Fiori didn't know much about Culworkes. If it had been a place she 'visited' before, she would probably have remembered.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:18:52 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »

"Call me as you have always did, Fiori. Or use my surname. I still don't feel I can say I'm worthy of being named Commander until I'm tested with that mantle." Vaye replied, putting on the cap with a sense of dignity and reverence; her thoughts wandered in Fiori's shoes, wondering what the bodyguard could've known of the now-gone Captain that nobody else did. It gave her a sense of family on board--or at least, a sense of camaraderie and fellowship.

"That said, how goes the ship's treasury, Callisto? Need an update on what the Captain's last orders were--and what his plans were in this trading port."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:56 pm »

"Aye aye, Captain. Burning retrograde in three... two... one... Burning." She pushed the throttle up, killing the ship's orbital velocity. The ship shot down towards the town, now completely in its gravity. Tokoda pulled the nose up, and throttled up to slow down the ship at the last minute before righting the ship, and drifting it into the docking bay under low power. She shot a smile at the rest of the bridge. "Sorry for the bumpy ride."

"The thing is, we don't have neither that much cargo nor anything particularily valuable amongst it. We would have to peddle cheap wares for singular coins." Richard was still in grumbly mood that the ship didn't carry crates upon crates of expensive goodies he could pawn to enrich himself the crew.
"We've got iron. Culworkes is know for its weapons. I'm sure we can find a smith who'll take it off us for a good price. Maybe we get a contract moving goods for them while we're at it."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »

"Sorry for the bumpy ride."

"As long as we don't explode into starbits, I consider it a good landing." Fiori commented.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 02:17:50 pm »

Granite departs from the ship quietly with a small bag of belongings on his back, and an uncertainty of the events to come though he knew it was going to be dangerous. If someone had killed their former Captain over something he had found then they surely would know what the ship looked like, with people watching for that ship without any distraction surely they wouldn't manage to live long enough to find whatever the hell the Captain had. Granite sighed as he strolled into the city, he owed the departed Captain a debt and he was going to pay that debt one way or another ...

When the crew examines Granite's old quarters they'll find a note that explained simply that he was leaving to look for the previous Captain's killers, and to attempt to shake off anyone chasing after them for whatever it was they were supposed to have discovered. It also has a quite extensive rant about the proper sharing of wealth should they earn any, and then actually live long enough to meet again.

Granite Ironblood departs from the crew.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 06:11:37 pm »

"Call me as you have always did, Fiori. Or use my surname. I still don't feel I can say I'm worthy of being named Commander until I'm tested with that mantle." Vaye replied, putting on the cap with a sense of dignity and reverence; her thoughts wandered in Fiori's shoes, wondering what the bodyguard could've known of the now-gone Captain that nobody else did. It gave her a sense of family on board--or at least, a sense of camaraderie and fellowship.

"That said, how goes the ship's treasury, Callisto? Need an update on what the Captain's last orders were--and what his plans were in this trading port."
"Yes! The iron chest had around two-hundred and eighty disks of mana. Not entirely sure what the Captain wanted us to do here - the demon-lock chest is still locked, I'll get to work on that, I suppose." He salutes, mockingly, and scuttles off.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:14 pm »

"So we weren't going too badly. We could make a reasonable go of this."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24:19 am »

Fiori watched the dock approaching with steady nerves. She didn't know if they would have a welcoming party waiting for them, but it was good to plan for that eventuality...ideally, she wanted a place that would limit the amount of approaches for hostiles to infiltrate or spy on their vessel, yet been secluded enough to avoid the eyes of inspectors and informants-and, of course, allow them to take off in a hurry, without getting tangled in space traffic. She just had to analyze the chaos of the situation...

"Captain, I may have an idea where we should make berth..."

Action: Right, moving us on! Fiori doesn't have any piloting expertise, but she knows tactical operations-try to choose a nice defensible spot for us to land our ship in, one that will perhaps allows us to keep a lower profile and escape quicker if needed. Point this out to Tokoda!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9