Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombies at the zoo  (Read 858 times)

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombies at the zoo
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »

I've been taking a great interest in ensuring that my dwarfs enjoy the magnificent spectacle of a wide range of creatures in my zoo in lovely masterwork steel cages. I like to get as many different creatures as possible. But there's always the problem of lifespan. The issue became especially salient when I captured a giant beetle. Given their short lifespans of one year, there seemed like little point in keeping one in the zoo only for it to die in no time. Also, I can't put grazing animals in zoo cages on account of them starving to death.

That got me thinking about the undead. Does anybody know if dwarfs appreciate undead zoo exhibits as they appreciate live ones? Let's say I imprison a necromancer and use them to revive dead creatures. Or if I embark on an evil area and chain up a creature outside so it turns into a thrall or husk. If it works it could be a great way of ensuring that my zoo exhibits are preserved for posterity, albeit in shambling, undead form.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies at the zoo
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »

There is a a story when a dwarf girl lost her arm.  The arm was re-animated and captured in a cage.  The cage was placed handsomely in the girl's bedroom and gave her happy thoughts.  The end.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:51 pm »

There is a a story when a dwarf girl lost her arm.  The arm was re-animated and captured in a cage.  The cage was placed handsomely in the girl's bedroom and gave her happy thoughts.  The end.
I remember that one!
It was terrifying
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:53:10 pm »

10/10. Truly heartwarming.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »

If I recall correctly, she got killed before the arm was raised and installed. A tragedy, really.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:11 am »

M. Night Shyamalan needs to get on that. Or Tim Burton.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!