Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game: Started!  (Read 13817 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game [looking for players!]
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:39 pm »

Questions to answer:
  • How we all met.
  • Why we are going to fly a ship together.
  • How we got the ship. (My Name is Immaterial had an idea about that.)
  • Where we are starting out. (Most charsheets seem to assume that we're somewhere in Human territory.)
  • Where we are going.
  • What our (primary/initial) mission is.
  • Whether we'll have a full chain of command, just a captain, or an enlightened anarchy. (I'm thinking of tactical situations here. Strategic decisions will be made more or less democratically, I presume.)
Our answers so far:
  • We crewed a ship together.
  • That's still up in the air, depending on what you mean.
  • Captain died, we 'inherited' it.
  • The Scatter.
  • Up for discussion.
  • Up for discussion.
  • Up for discussion

New straw poll: Who will give orders in combat scenarios?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2016, 07:16:14 pm »

I think that everyone is too self-interested to take down a conspiracy for any reason but financial gain.
Survival is always a useful motivator.  If the conspiracy decides they need you silenced in the most permanent way because of something your captain found, just in case s/he passed it on before dying, that's going to give the crew a vested interest in doing unto others before they do unto you. :P

Also, won't be submitting a sheet due to a wealth of interest, but posting to watch. :3

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »

Questions to answer:
  • How we all met.
  • Where we are starting out. (Most charsheets seem to assume that we're somewhere in Human territory.)
  • Where we are going.
  • Whether we'll have a full chain of command, just a captain, or an enlightened anarchy. (I'm thinking of tactical situations here. Strategic decisions will be made more or less democratically, I presume.)

At the moment, my take on those would be:
  • We crewed a ship together, or will be given a berth in return for services rendered to the original crew.
  • Because we need to get away from the nasty beings who killed the captain, or from some other trouble we're in. Some of us might just have been looking for a job, and these people told us we could start right away. Like, immediately. Get on, we're leaving!
  • The Scatter.
  • Far enough to lose our pursuers, if we have any. Then we'll see.
  • Make enough money to keep ourselves and the ship going. Maybe find out what our captain had found out, much to his detriment. Or do something completely different. Space is big.
  • It's good to have some form of command and control, especially in ship combat. For a crew of less than ten people, a single captain should suffice.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:48:13 pm by Mopsy »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2016, 08:02:18 pm »

At the moment, my take on those would be:
  • We crewed a ship together, or will be given a berth in return for services rendered to the original crew.
  • Because we need to get away from the nasty beings who killed the captain, or from some other trouble we're in. Some of us might just have been looking for a job, and these people told us we could start right away. Like, immediately. Get on, we're leaving!
  • The Scatter.
  • Far enough to lose our pursuers, if we have any. Then we'll see.
  • Make enough money to keep ourselves and the ship going. Maybe find out what our captain had found out, much to his detriment. Or do something completely different. Space is big.
  • It's good to have some form of command and control, especially in ship combat. For a crew of less than ten people, a single captain should suffice.
These are all great, except that people are split 2/2/2 between Chain of Command, Captain and Anarchy. MAKE UP YER MIND PEOPLE AND VOTE

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:09 pm »

Now it's a 3/2/2 split, apparently.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:48 pm »

I voted, if that matters.

Although Gilg has not checked my sheet yet.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2016, 10:38:52 pm »

I voted, if that matters.

I haven't been checked, either.

And yeah. I voted.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2016, 11:11:40 pm »

Thank you for voting. Since it looks like we're stuck at 7 votes, and such a close margin, I'd say that we figure it out IC, once the game's started.
I haven't been checked, either.
Gig could have checked the sheets and not had anything to say about them, is all.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2016, 11:12:57 pm »

That would probably be a better idea. Our characters may have opinions other than our OOC selves.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2016, 12:14:39 am »

Questions to answer:
  • How we all met.
  • Where we are going.
Our answers so far:
  • We crewed a ship together.
  • That's still up in the air, depending on what you mean.
  • The Scatter.
  • Up for discussion.
  • Up for discussion.
  • Up for discussion
What I think is that there are MANY ways the Captain can have vanished :3 Primarily, I bet this will be our prologue//intro INTO the game wherein we DO take off together, however our captain has vanished--not necessarily died. So cue freeform planning on what we can do--we may need a registration or valid license in order to escape from orbit, or anything in between. :P

What I believe however is within none of those options in the straw poll (or maybe because I don't understand the specifics ._. [voted Enlightened Anarchy? 3/3/2]). Where I'm thinking about it, the person who gives options can be just anyone--just someone who we can all reasonably trust what to do. Illustrating this point by pointing at other games, notably the FEF Forum Game Series, people can make plans in the OOC that people generally, usually follow (of notable mention is one called Swordstar :D She's awesome at doing that!).

And given the diverse situations we may encounter--we may pretty much need just that. This person can be in any specific role--as long as it encompasses overview of the battle and knowledge of the best way out (and someone who isn't a KEEL EM ALL type, and values life and diplomacy in balance too :v)

Like in one imagery that came to me: The Captain called us together to get acquainted while they took care of business. We wait for hours [in RP time being {hey we don't really know the time but I want to know you!}] until we get the note that he hasn't come back.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:24 am »

That's very true.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:17 am »

Sheet done!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2016, 08:21:06 am »

What I think is that there are MANY ways the Captain can have vanished :3 Primarily, I bet this will be our prologue//intro INTO the game wherein we DO take off together, however our captain has vanished--not necessarily died. So cue freeform planning on what we can do--we may need a registration or valid license in order to escape from orbit, or anything in between. :P

Like in one imagery that came to me: The Captain called us together to get acquainted while they took care of business. We wait for hours [in RP time being {hey we don't really know the time but I want to know you!}] until we get the note that he hasn't come back.
I actually agree that it would be more interesting to leave the Captain's disappearance as a mystery to solve. I went along with the "captain is dead" option mostly because it provides in-universe justification for setting out on our own instead of at least trying to rescue our well-liked skipper. Crucially, this only requires our characters to believe that the Captain is beyond help. What actually happened is up to the GM.

What I believe however is within none of those options in the straw poll (or maybe because I don't understand the specifics ._. [voted Enlightened Anarchy? 3/3/2]). Where I'm thinking about it, the person who gives options can be just anyone--just someone who we can all reasonably trust what to do. Illustrating this point by pointing at other games, notably the FEF Forum Game Series, people can make plans in the OOC that people generally, usually follow (of notable mention is one called Swordstar :D She's awesome at doing that!).

And given the diverse situations we may encounter--we may pretty much need just that. This person can be in any specific role--as long as it encompasses overview of the battle and knowledge of the best way out (and someone who isn't a KEEL EM ALL type, and values life and diplomacy in balance too :v)
Yeah, working things out OOC is an alternative to any sort of formal/semi-formal IC organization. It depends on whether or not you think that detracts from immersion. I'm not strongly against OOC tactics, but it does feel a little strange to have lengthy debates pro et contra on decisions that are supposed to be made in the heat of battle.

What we could do is appoint a captain (or even a full CoC) IC but leave their actual role in decision making open, to be determined as the campaign progresses. At one end of the scale, the IC officers would just be fig leaves for OOC decisions. At the other end, the officers would usually call the shots, but players could still bring up particularly difficult choices for discussion in the OOC thread.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:44 am »

Well, I voted for chain of command.

...Now we're 3/3/3...

• How we all met.
  • Where we are going.

Anyway, my ideas.

1. We shipped together. No prior contact unless established in backstory-clean slates, eh? :P
2. I think it's more-we're stuck together.
3. Agree with Captain 'died', we 'inherited' it.
4. Yeah, Scatter sounds good.
5. Figure that out IC.
6. ^
7. I honestly think we need a chain of command to keep things flowing-free form games need strong direction. If we spend every turn waiting for everyone to vote on a destination, we're going to make everything run slow as sludge-one guy can hold us up for weeks, and if the discussion peters out no one might be willing to go ahead. I know, because I've tried this. It doesn't work. When we are on planet, people have latitude to do what they want-but overall decisions about the ship need to be left to just a few, active people. IMO. A Captain and a second in command, and not much more.

I have pretty strong feelings about this.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154786.75 <--take a look at what happened to my game where just less than half a dozen people had to decide on three or four ways forward. A spirited discussion, then it just ends and no one picks it up, because no one wants to make a choice. LOL. I should have killed them all by now...as gig will probably blow our ship up if we spend too much time floating in space waiting for Tiruin to post. Srry Tiru. :I

This game is going to have an infinite amount of ways forward. We NEED a Captain to chart our course-it'll be up to that persons personal IRL and OOC charisma, however, to ensure everyone is happy with these choices. Otherwise mutiny.

I'm not against OOC or IC discussion about strategy, either. But in the end we need to draft some unlucky person to actually make that final decision-to go ahead and move us forward, and allow Gig to advance the game.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2016, 11:48:12 am »

[...]

1. We shipped together. No prior contact unless established in backstory-clean sla[...]...as gig will probably blow our ship up if we spend too much time floating in space waiting for Tiruin to post. Srry Tiru. :I[...]
Love you too Dwarmin :'( (And am totally sorry for disappearing at times when your games needed me posting D: I promised myself that I won't do it again though! [since I deeply respect your RP as it was my foundation into all this along with a certain Serious person's stuff that put me into this])

Also isn't it also possible that Gig can provoke us into all taking initiative without being caught in probably-personal-affairs-for-too-long? :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13