Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game: Started!  (Read 13797 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game [looking for players!]
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »

Richard Bartholomew Puddington got in trouble with the Chaotic Evil Consortium of Legal Con-Men and that means he needs to get off the world but no one wants to have him on their decks for obvious mafia-related reasons.... The moment he hears a rumor about some poor saps needed extra money to buy their ship, he shows up and tips his bowler hat:

"It came to my attention that you need extra investor."
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 05:00:28 pm »

Is the Cometship okay? I'd like to contribute to the conversation, but my contribution depends on my ship or lack thereof.
The ship weapon sounds good as a unique item, the actual ship does not. Bit too big, that.
The cometship is cool, though, and I might nick that as a type of craft present in the game.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What I have so far.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 05:54:06 pm »

So does mine, because I have no idea how random strangers would be willing to all pitch in to buy a ship.
Options: they worked on a large cargo freighter, saved up enough money to buy a ship, set out on their own. They crewed a smaller ship and the captain died, retired, or is out of the picture in some way. All are freelancers hired to do a job. Time share spaceship. Reality TV show.
Raelyn would probably just board any ship, so she could learn more about demons, and earn some money whilst doing so.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

Gert was asking around politely on one of the Scatter stations, and was directed to a small hodgepodge of a ship, wondering if this was a scam or not. He doesn't have any other jobs at this point, so he might as well try.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:14:12 pm by Pencil_Art »

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 06:33:16 pm »

Options: they worked on a large cargo freighter, saved up enough money to buy a ship, set out on their own. They crewed a smaller ship and the captain died, retired, or is out of the picture in some way. All are freelancers hired to do a job. Time share spaceship. Reality TV show.

I like the "vanished captain" option. It explains why we suddenly found ourselves with a ship on our hands and simultaneously provides an intriguing plot hook. Was our captain involved in some shady deal gone wrong, did he stumble upon something worth killing for, or is he just lying drunk somewhere? Characters who don't fit as ordinary crewmembers (Dr Puddington, etc.) could earn their place onboard by helping us get away with the ship, before we're caught by the authorities (strictly speaking, it might not be our ship to just sail off with) or whatever it was that disappeared the Cap.

EDIT: A focused "Hell Out of Dodge" prologue would let us familiarize ourselves with our characters, the setting and the game. Then, once we've escaped into space, we can have an in-character discussion about what to do next and how to go about it.

If people can take it in stride, then I think it might be cool to let all the proposed characters participate in the Prologue. Then, at the end of the Prologue, the GM would select the most active/creative/sensible/funny PCs that would make it onto the ship and into the rest of the game, and set up some reasons why the others didn't manage to get onboard. It seems like a reasonable way to evaluate the PCs and players, while for those who are not chosen, being in the Prologue is still better than nothing, in my opinion.

EDIT 2: On second thought, I can also see several reasons why a knockout prologue might be a bad idea (drama, unwieldiness, hard to merge with in-universe events). An ordinary waitlist is probably a safer bet. I still like the other ideas, though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:24:51 pm by Mopsy »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 06:45:39 pm »

It would be very interesting.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

The cometship is cool, though, and I might nick that as a type of craft present in the game.
Please do! I'm glad you liked it.

I like the "vanished captain" option. It explains why we suddenly found ourselves with a ship on our hands and simultaneously provides an intriguing plot hook. Was our captain involved in some shady deal gone wrong, did he stumble upon something worth killing for, or is he just lying drunk somewhere? Characters who don't fit as ordinary crewmembers (Dr Puddington, etc.) could earn their place onboard by helping us get away with the ship, before we're caught by the authorities (strictly speaking, it might not be our ship to just sail off with) or whatever it was that disappeared the Cap.
It would be very interesting.
Agreed. Should we roll with that, then?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 06:52:22 pm »

I'll vote yes, if it counts for anything.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 06:53:31 pm »

Yeah, that sounds good.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

Callisto wanted to get even more money and/or a chance to find the One Piece Goddess Pieces. Took the first crew that would accept him, i.e.; this one.
Why are the Goddess Pieces valuable, again?
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 02:30:31 am »

He found something and was killed for it, says I.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 02:41:15 am »

Clearly he found something and got killed for it cause it was worth a lot, and this is our epic tale to reclaim the treasure.

Also clearly we need Granite on the ship, because Granite is One Punch Dwarf. He shall punch the enchantments, and demons right out of the enemy space ship.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 02:42:51 am »

Impossible, but sure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13