Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Are there ways to make a little money on the internet?  (Read 7452 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are there ways to make a little money on the internet?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 08:50:02 pm »

But are there ways to make pocket change on the internet if your willing to put in a days work?

Yes.

If you're serious, then i recommend you look into Amazon Turk. It's miserable and slow, but $5/hr within the first several weeks is realistically attainable. It does however, take some time to build up your credentials on the site, and in the meantime you'll be making pennies. I have read claims from others that they've been able to earn as much as $15/hr with the more difficult credentials, but cannot confirm, as I gave up after a week or two.

If you do attempt this, check out the reddit thread and spend a couple hours reading before you sign up. There are things you can do to vastly improve your experience, a third party plugin that will help you avoid bad tasks, and also mistakes you can make that can mess up your account so that you no longer qualify for the more well paid tasks. Turk is real, it does work, and people post earning all the time in the low hundreds of dollars per month. However, it does require some diligence, and there is a grueling ramp up period in the beginning where you'll be making like 30-50 cents per hour. I think I was up to $2/hr by the time I gave up on it.

If you're not as serious, then you might consider swagbucks. It's considerably easier and more laid back. It is something you can casually sign up for without doing any research, but the earning are paltry. Again, i cannot confirm as I didn't stick with it, but my impression was that you could probably realistically expect to get a $25 gift card every month if you religiously invested an hour every day. With swagbucks I advise skipping all the videos and games and things and going straight to the surveys, as they pay much better, though not nearly as well as mTurk.

If you want to try swagbucks, here's a referral link. There might be a starting out bonus for you if you use that rather than simply signing up, I don't recall.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:05 pm »

A friend of mine does art requests (animu obvs.) and gets commissions for around 20$ apiece (it could be better if you can even draw backgrounds like a painter or something). If you're good with a (digital) pen and proportions, you can probably do just that, open up a bank/paypal account, start out on deviant art, read the popular trends (undertale is a pretty damned good fandom to start art requests, as well as kancolle), and start differentiating yourself from your competition. Then maybe after you gain some rep, you then go and open Patreon?

If you're willing to degrade your dignity you can opt to make whatever OCxOTP slashfic hentaoi pairing for even more moolah. Yes, there are markets for that.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51:22 pm »

A friend of mine does art requests (animu obvs.) and gets commissions for around 20$ apiece (it could be better if you can even draw backgrounds like a painter or something). If you're good with a (digital) pen and proportions, you can probably do just that, open up a bank/paypal account, start out on deviant art, read the popular trends (undertale is a pretty damned good fandom to start art requests, as well as kancolle), and start differentiating yourself from your competition. Then maybe after you gain some rep, you then go and open Patreon?

If you're willing to degrade your dignity you can opt to make whatever OCxOTP slashfic hentaoi pairing for even more moolah. Yes, there are markets for that.

Unfortunately the only thing I can do halfway decently is write... and even that is rather flawed... and writing is one of those "you HAVE to be good to get commissions" as opposed to being able to entice people with low prices like art can.

Also dang Turk is not an option. I am Canadian

---

I might have found a way to make money... I didn't know people offered money for it.

I am giving Hypnotic Sessions.

I honestly thought people only paid either certified professionals or "internet call girls" for it. Apparently there are quite a bit of people willing to pay.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:34:13 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 03:17:40 am »

Wait, whaaaaaaat?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 04:08:10 am »

If you're serious, then i recommend you look into Amazon Turk. It's miserable and slow, but $5/hr within the first several weeks is realistically attainable. It does however, take some time to build up your credentials on the site, and in the meantime you'll be making pennies. I have read claims from others that they've been able to earn as much as $15/hr with the more difficult credentials, but cannot confirm, as I gave up after a week or two.
That actually sounds really cool but bloody Amazon I don't care about your bloody gift card
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:42 pm »

Unfortunately the only thing I can do halfway decently is write... and even that is rather flawed... and writing is one of those "you HAVE to be good to get commissions" as opposed to being able to entice people with low prices like art can.

Also dang Turk is not an option. I am Canadian

---

I might have found a way to make money... I didn't know people offered money for it.

I am giving Hypnotic Sessions.

I honestly thought people only paid either certified professionals or "internet call girls" for it. Apparently there are quite a bit of people willing to pay.
Hypnotic sessions? Tell us more you've got me interested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 10:40:50 pm »

Well I haven't got a steady stream yet (I am getting help setting up)

Basically it is 30 minutes to an hour per person once or twice a week.

Where I use hypnosis to help them relax, self-help, and for entertainment. All with cost of about 15 bucks a session + tips (which is on the low end), within the confines of the laws and regulations of my country and region.

I've been doing this for 10 years so I am good enough.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:45:50 pm by Neonivek »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 07:30:53 am »

wait what is this hypnotic session how does it work
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 09:26:51 am »

Well I haven't got a steady stream yet (I am getting help setting up)

Basically it is 30 minutes to an hour per person once or twice a week.

Where I use hypnosis to help them relax, self-help, and for entertainment. All with cost of about 15 bucks a session + tips (which is on the low end), within the confines of the laws and regulations of my country and region.

I've been doing this for 10 years so I am good enough.
Wait you do this via skype or what?

Why are you assuming we all know exactly what you are talking about when we clearly don't?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 12:07:11 pm »

Ohh it is because I am not quite sure how to explain it AND I am used to the taboo surrounding hypnosis or outright ignorant denial of it to kick in.

So people suddenly being genuinely interested and not immediately going "well it is all fake right?" is new to me.

Let me see. Skype indeed but any chat program works. It can be done through text or with voice.

Hypnosis is split up into four pieces
-Induction: You attempt to lull the person into a hypnotic trance through various methods.
-Deepener: You deeper the trance
-Suggestion: The actual suggestion phase
-Awakener: awaken from trance

Trance being a natural state the mind goes into. Everyone does usually at least twice a day, right as you wake up and right before you go to sleep, and is a rather personal and individual experience. Though often dramatized as a sort of zombie or sleep like state in television, it is closer to both letting go while at the same time concentrating intently on one task. "The Zone" is a perfectly good example of a trance as an everyday occurrence.

Suggestions are also wide and diverse. Depending on the level of suggestibility, that is the subjects ability to manifest suggestions, and my ability to expand it, what I can do with it a wide category. So if I was trying to do a relaxing session where my goal is to make the subject as relaxed as possible I might make them feel hands kneading across their back, the warmth of oil being spread into their skin, the feeling of weightlessness, their mind going blank (yes this is relaxing).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »

Interesting.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 04:55:55 pm »

Ohh it is because I am not quite sure how to explain it AND I am used to the taboo surrounding hypnosis or outright ignorant denial of it to kick in.

So people suddenly being genuinely interested and not immediately going "well it is all fake right?" is new to me.

Let me see. Skype indeed but any chat program works. It can be done through text or with voice.

Hypnosis is split up into four pieces
-Induction: You attempt to lull the person into a hypnotic trance through various methods.
-Deepener: You deeper the trance
-Suggestion: The actual suggestion phase
-Awakener: awaken from trance

Trance being a natural state the mind goes into. Everyone does usually at least twice a day, right as you wake up and right before you go to sleep, and is a rather personal and individual experience. Though often dramatized as a sort of zombie or sleep like state in television, it is closer to both letting go while at the same time concentrating intently on one task. "The Zone" is a perfectly good example of a trance as an everyday occurrence.

Suggestions are also wide and diverse. Depending on the level of suggestibility, that is the subjects ability to manifest suggestions, and my ability to expand it, what I can do with it a wide category. So if I was trying to do a relaxing session where my goal is to make the subject as relaxed as possible I might make them feel hands kneading across their back, the warmth of oil being spread into their skin, the feeling of weightlessness, their mind going blank (yes this is relaxing).
I could imagine this working through skype but really, through pure text?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »

Well, it's mostly about 'if you think it will work it will work'?

What taboo even?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 05:34:36 pm »

Well, it's mostly about 'if you think it will work it will work'?

What taboo even?

Close enough really (though you can hypnotize someone who doubts it will work. It is just a large barrier). The only soft-requirement for hypnosis is language.

The best way to explain why text works is: Notice when you read you imagine someone speaking in your head? Even if that voice is yourself.

as for Taboo... People are afraid of hypnosis or believe it is so fake that those who treat it as real are con-artists.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 12:32:14 pm »

Notice when you read you imagine someone speaking in your head? Even if that voice is yourself.

So I guess it won't work for people who did a speed-reading course. (That teaches you to NOT read auditively, because that makes you read slower. This has to do with auditive memory being much slower than visual memory)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4