Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110822 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #1020 on: May 09, 2018, 07:40:59 pm »

Whichever team gets Space-birbs is the one I'll be joining. If its none of them then I'll take some more time to look into the others I guess

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 09, 2018, 07:45:04 pm »

My one shame is I cannot do maps to save my life.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:37 am »

Please Draig, no!! Cinder Spires is already the most complicated forum game I know on this forum, running another one would be suicide!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 11, 2018, 12:32:42 pm »

Please Draig, no!! Cinder Spires is already the most complicated forum game I know on this forum, running another one would be suicide!

[Mad Science Laugh]

That's exactly why I must! By running this, the relative complexity of Cinder Spires will be greatly diminished! It's logic, LOGIC I SAY!

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 11, 2018, 12:47:12 pm »

[Mad Science Laugh]

That's exactly why I must! By running this, the relative complexity of Cinder Spires will be greatly diminished! It's logic, LOGIC I SAY!
You still need to write turns for both of those, but as long as your masochism don't hurt anyone, I am fine.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 11, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »

what are the space birbs again?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »

There relating the Aztec feathered dragons to the birds

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1028 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:50 pm »

What if you could formally and permanently make equipment obsolete as a free action during the design or revision phase? What that does is make it so that equipment is no longer used for combat turns but is still available as research. I see this mainly as a way to help GMs with upkeep and players with not having too much junk to keep track of, it also makes sense that a military would retire equipment instead of having a constantly growing list of types of weapons that would begin to strain logistics.

I'm not sure what the reward would be. Maybe if you decide to obsolete a piece of equipment you can apply a bonus to a design or a revision roll? I don't think players should be punished for having too much gear or that hard caps should be put on gear, just that a mechanic should be put in place to allow useless equipment to naturally become extinct or to recycle a bad design into the next turn as a comeback (or a last resort) mechanic when one side is having really bad luck so that a losing side doesn't lose a ton of momentum when they critically fail.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:03:23 pm by Parsely »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 24, 2018, 05:50:21 pm »

What if you could formally and permanently make equipment obsolete as a free action during the design or revision phase? What that does is make it so that equipment is no longer used for combat turns but is still available as research. I see this mainly as a way to help GMs with upkeep and players with not having too much junk to keep track of, it also makes sense that a military would retire equipment instead of having a constantly growing list of types of weapons that would begin to strain logistics.

I'm not sure what the reward would be. Maybe if you decide to obsolete a piece of equipment you can apply a bonus to a design or a revision roll? I don't think players should be punished for having too much gear or that hard caps should be put on gear, just that a mechanic should be put in place to allow useless equipment to naturally become extinct or to recycle a bad design into the next turn as a comeback (or a last resort) mechanic when one side is having really bad luck so that a losing side doesn't lose a ton of momentum when they critically fail.

GMs tend to do that already when things are truly supplanted.  There's just that many different roles to play.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1030 on: May 24, 2018, 06:02:37 pm »

GMs tend to do that already when things are truly supplanted.  There's just that many different roles to play.
Eh? Is there an Arms Race where this is an explicitly mechanic and not just something GMs do because they've gone over the word count on a post? If there is I wasn't aware and I retract what I said.

Otherwise:
I'm not sure if you understood my suggestion? I know that GMs already push older designs into a "legacy" or "obsolete" category when they interpret them to be overshadowed by another weapon, but they do that to save space in equipment posts and because they can't write about every single weapon in battle reports, it's not an action the players make and no one is rewarded for it, that's just bookkeeping. I'm saying to put the responsibility on the players to decide when something is obsolete and reward that action with a bonus to a design or revision roll.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:56 pm »

Except for Draignean, he just makes a several page long google doc for each team instead.

I do agree that a (very small) reward for eliminating things from armoury is a good idea.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 24, 2018, 06:53:34 pm »

Except for Draignean, he just makes a several page long google doc for each team instead.

I do agree that a (very small) reward for eliminating things from armoury is a good idea.
Agreed. Maybe cost reduction?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 26, 2018, 02:19:50 am »

I've been working on a set of rules for an AR I'm mulling over. I've asked some questions about various ways to roll (some of which didn't even include rolling!), but I felt like exploring a new possibility. I decided to see how rolling 2d6 would turn out, with the catch being 6,7, and 8 all being "Average" on an unmodified roll. I wound up getting a sample size of 500 rolls, making sure to stop every 50 to get more accurate stats for various lengths of games. While obviously luck will always play a factor, I'm fairly pleased with the results.

The amount of rolls are arranged in order of total - 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12, and would be categorized as Failure(2), Buggy(3), Poor(4), Below Average(5), Average(6,7,8), Above Average(9), Excellent(10), Superior(11), Unexpected Boon(12).
Next to the individual rolls I total the combined Low, Average, and High rolls, which makes it easier to see how things line up.

50:3/3/6/5/7/10/3/4/4/2/3                      Lo:17 Avg:20 Hi:13
100:9/7/9/8/12/21/10/8/7/4/5                 Lo:33 Avg:43 Hi:24
150:9/9/14/10/22/35/21/11/8/6/5            Lo:42 Avg:78 Hi:30
200:10/13/18/14/34/41/25/15/10/6/7       Lo:55 Avg:100 Hi:38
250:13/15/20/19/44/48/32/25/15/10/9      Lo:67 Avg:124 Hi:59
300:14/18/23/28/53/54/37/28/22/13/10    Lo:83 Avg:144 Hi:73
350:14/21/26/35/57/61/48/33/26/16/13    Lo:96 Avg:166 Hi:88
400:15/22/31/43/70/70/51/35/28/19/16    Lo:111 Avg:191 Hi:98
450:15/25/31/53/82/79/58/43/36/22/16    Lo:124 Avg:219 Hi:117
500:17/27/35/56/95/87/65/49/37/23/19    Lo:135 Avg:247 Hi:128

In my opinion a near-50% chance to get an Average roll with a 25% chance of going either way isn't bad. I'd like to get some other opinions on the matter, but I think it's worth a spin.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 26, 2018, 02:58:55 am »

Uh. Why did you actually roll dice to figure that out? It's fairly simple statistics.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 78