Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100732 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #1185 on: August 28, 2016, 12:12:28 am »

The various inertial-fusion Orion variants are interesting as well, but have the disadvantage of lacking the entirety of that glorious sixties charm, and not making microatomic shaped charges ubiquitous in setting.

Dynamite's also pretty simple, and a lot more powerful than black powder as an explosive.
Yeah, focus on making better explosives: Nitroglycerin, guncotton, eventually picric acid and the likes... To do so on a large scale, you'd need to set up an industry for base chemicals.
Better metallurgy is also not that incredibly difficult, if you know what to go for. Some variant of the Bessemer process could yield large amounts of cheap steel, for example, giving you a major edge regarding materials.

My thoughts exactly.

Additionally, if somebody could set up a very simple hydroelectric dam or something, advanced stonework and crude coils, you might be able to set up enough electricity early enough to fuel the industrial revolution's need for iron with arc smelters.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 28, 2016, 05:35:51 am »

Sci-fi concept: Get transported to arbitrary point in history on earth (relative position in universe over time be damned!) wearing nothing but your underwear. How do you become supreme ruler of the world? Bonus points for how closer to modern history you start from.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 28, 2016, 07:10:21 am »

Sci-fi concept: Get transported to arbitrary point in history on earth (relative position in universe over time be damned!) wearing nothing but your underwear. How do you become supreme ruler of the world? Bonus points for how closer to modern history you start from.
That is too easy.  Someone appearing out of nowhere, wearing nothing but underwear, sounds like a viable alternative to this year's two major party candidates for US President. :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 28, 2016, 07:51:11 am »

AND IT'S OUTTA THE PARK.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 28, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »

That is too easy.  Someone appearing out of nowhere, wearing nothing but underwear, sounds like a viable alternative to this year's two major party candidates for US President. :)

...I cannot object to this.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 28, 2016, 01:35:25 pm »

The real question is, what morals to compromise?
If it's ancient there's almost certainly gonna be slavery, and we saw what happened when America tried to abolish that.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 28, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »

Yeah, but American Slavery was kinda uniquely bad. Most societies treated their slaves okay. Still slaves, just not 'beaten every other day and had about forty different ways to preemptively brand you to keep you from escaping'. Quite a few paid their slaves, even. It was more like an allowance, really, but still. Slaves were part of the household, not simply a labor force.

Unless you needed to build something or row a boat, that is. (and really that's just conscripted labor anyway) *shrug* Really, just getting people not to be jerks to their slaves would be an improvement there, and that's mostly the government anyway, so...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 28, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »

I think you have an idealized vision of greco-roman slavery.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 28, 2016, 01:59:07 pm »

^

Pretty sure once you start playing your slaves they become indentured servants.

Helots, for one, I think had it a little worse.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 28, 2016, 01:59:31 pm »

The real question is, what morals to compromise?
If it's ancient there's almost certainly gonna be slavery, and we saw what happened when America tried to abolish that.

I'm reasonably confident that Tyrant Strife's Army of Conquest and the subsequent Armies of Retribution will do a good enough job at minimizing the bloodshed once a long enough time frame is looked at.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:14 pm »

For me personally?  I don't.  I speak precisely one relatively modern language (English) well, which limits me to a very narrow period of time (maybe around 500 years) and a very, very limited geographic area for much of that time period.  I do not have the sort of knowledge that would be most useful for technological uplift, or even just to make myself useful in most eras.  I lack knowledge of local social mores, in eras where "foreign" is three towns down the road.  I am likely...socially disadvantaged in other ways as well.  If I don't starve, I die of exposure.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:41:07 pm by Culise »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 28, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »

I think you have an idealized vision of greco-roman slavery.
Who said greco-roman?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 28, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »

You don't.

I doubt anyone reading this thread has the required charisma, intelligence, knowledge, luck, physical strength, health and endurance, to pull it off, especially as they would begin with no preformed connections to give allies, no currency or resources.

I don't even think it could be done, by anyone - the world is pretty damn big, after all, and men are limited in ability, if not ambition.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1198 on: August 28, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »

Another issue would be being exposed to now-extinct diseases that haven't been tried and tested against our genetics for many generations, depending on how far back you go.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 28, 2016, 06:51:04 pm »

Either you'll die, or at best, be extremely poor.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91