Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100585 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:02 am »

AFAIK the Mass Effect guns are... whilst unconventional, basically like any other small arms.

I dunno. First ones I think were loaded with a big-ass block of matter at construction and never needed reloading 'cos the gun removes tiny little flakes before flinging them at the aforementioned Sub-light speeds or whatever.
Meaning the only issue with the gun became heat management. "Unfortunately" the later guns in ME2 and ME3 had "too much heat dissipation issues" and had to be "phased out" by guns with removable heat-sinks.

... Anyway. So, Ballistic weapons.
I feel like they could either end up functioning much in the same way as Fallout/Gal Civ, etc:
X armor is good against X weapon whilst Y armor is good against Y weapon - and then it's a big game of scissors, papers, rocks.

Or one way will be found to be irrevocably better against everything (or cheaper) and all militaries will adapt and use it- be it oldschool weapons or newschool ones.

-argument-
-argument-
shoo~
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2016, 07:28:14 am »

Uh... I think it's Lasers < Fields, Missiles < Chaff, Ballistics < Armor.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2016, 07:39:02 am »

Also RKKVs > everything not fast enough to get out the way.

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:40 am »

-argument-
-argument-
shoo~
Argument? It was nothing of the sort. He made a point, I made a counterpoint.

X armor is good against X weapon whilst Y armor is good against Y weapon

Isn't this Railgun vs Plate and Lasers/plasma vs ceramics?

Can someone tell me why missiles are good at penetrating armor?

With a missile, you can use a shaped charge. Shaped charges are very good at penetrating armour. Also with modern missiles, some shoulder-launched missiles are programmed to fly up and strike the top of a tank, etc, where the armour is weaker. For obvious reasons you can't do this with a bullet.

To quote wikipedia:
A typical modern shaped charge, with a metal liner on the charge cavity, can penetrate armor steel to a depth of 7 or more times the diameter of the charge (charge diameters, CD), though greater depths of 10 CD and above have been achieved.

A shaped charge focuses a huge amount of energy and pressure with a jet of copper or similar metal on a small area, so it's good at cutting through.
Counters mainly focus on disrupting the jet before it has the chance to form properly - i.e slat armour - or interrupting the jet before it can penetrate - i.e explosive reactive armour.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 03, 2016, 09:14:51 am »

Well, if you can stop a given amount of laser energy, you can stop a given amount of kinetic energy. Sure, RKKV carry a great amount of energy per unit of projectile, which make the projectile hard to detect, but apart from that there is nothing special about them. It's a way to direct energy to a target.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your RKKV boner is starting to get tiring.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:57 am »

Well, if you can stop a given amount of laser energy, you can stop a given amount of kinetic energy.
Not arguing for or against RKKV's, but I just wanted to say that this is not true, since lasers are using thermal energy. There's plenty of materials out there that are very strong, but have horrible heat dispersion abilities, or vice versa. Reflectivity of the material (and of the melted pool when it starts to melt) also play a huge effect against laser defenses. Aluminum, for example, is remarkably good at resisting lasers due to it's high thermal conductivity and the fact that it's very shiny (and becomes even more so when it melts). However aluminum is also incredibly weak compared to many materials, and as such would be able to defend against vastly more thermal laser energy than it could kinetic energy. Similarly you could just as easily have a material that functioned the other way; dull and with low thermal conductivity, but very strong, that would be able to defend against a much larger amount of kinetic energy than thermal laser energy.

This, of course, isn't to say that you can't build defenses against both, or possibly engineer/pick materials that defend against both (or maybe coat one material in another), but there's no guarantee that equal amounts can be stopped of each, or that the upper limits on our abilities to stop the respective types are the same.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2016, 10:44:33 am »

Psst. Tungstene. (Tungsten with '-ene')
Psst. Searching google for "Tungstene" only returns a card manufacturer and a bunch of results in french (for which it seems to be the french word for "tungsten"). Do you have an english name for me? :P

Though I'll note again that just because some materials are good at both doesn't mean that the overall caps are the same, since they are two different types of forces.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2016, 11:12:42 am »

Yeah good point. I guess another advantage of RKKV compared to lasers is that you don't have dispersion, so potentially bigger range. On the downside, they're not lightspeed, so it is at least theoretically possible to detect them and have active countermeasure or dodge them.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2016, 02:38:01 pm »

Well, if you can stop a given amount of laser energy, you can stop a given amount of kinetic energy. Sure, RKKV carry a great amount of energy per unit of projectile, which make the projectile hard to detect, but apart from that there is nothing special about them. It's a way to direct energy to a target.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your RKKV boner is starting to get tiring.

I apologize.

-WMDsnip-
Weapons of mass destruction make any other form of weaponry pretty much obsolete, so there's not a huge amount of point bringing them into it, to be honest. You could say the same if they tried using anything that they could nuke them to death.

Honestly, I'd say this is incorrect. WMDs in no way render other weapons obsolete, since they're usually fairly far to the side of overkill, making other things, like people with guns or precision missile strikes, far more practical in the majority of situations.

On the other hand, they can render most other conflicts irrelevant, which is a different discussion. I would, however, say that any thorough discussion of warfare in the future is badly flawed if it fails to consider WMDs. A large-scale future war, especially one taking place interplanetary or interstellar, is almost guaranteed to make use of them, and their presence must be taken into account.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:08:11 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »

Here's something rather specific:

In a universe I'm working on, technology is advanced. We're talking Star Trek, holodecks and replicators included. Due to a complicated situation, however, there is a deprived underclass of people* who adapt this technology for murdering people.

What sort of weapons would make sense for tech-savvy ghetto-rats living in a close-to-singularity world? Creativity is appreciated - the weapons are designed towards destroying morale rather than people.
*How do they exist in a Star Trek-style utopia? As I said, complicated situation.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:12:10 pm by Fniff »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »

How about some kind of projectile that is designed to create a lot of radiation. Enough radiation that the spot it was used in become unsafe for a loooooooong time afterward, making it a constant reminder that someone was murdered there. Depending on the level of murders in the area, some parts of the city might be dotted by localized radiation hotspots.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:30 pm »

The problem, I think, is having that work without both rendering large areas uninhabitable, because radiation that intense keeps going for a while, and doing it without ticking off the authorities to the point they just send in the army.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2016, 03:43:09 pm »

I think it could work in the universe. The majority of the population is in holodecks and the only occupants of 'reality' are either the gangsters or robots. Unless the gangsters did something stupid like irradiate a block of holodeck-people, the authorities wouldn't respond.

It could be a type of radiation that's noticeable but is only dangerous in large quantities. Are there any radiations like that?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »

I mean... Neutrinos? They can be detected with sufficiently large and precise equipment, and are only really dangerous in the quantities produced by exploding stars.

Or perhaps microwaves? Quite noticeable, definitely harmful, but not the kind of dangerous that, say, gamma rays are.

You could also use an alpha radiation emitter. The stuff is extremely easy to detect, and very harmful in the event of unshielded exposure. On the other hand, things like your dead outer skin layer and a single sheet of paper act as adequate shielding.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2016, 04:05:03 pm »

Well, if the majority population is happy in their technologically-caused wonderland, wouldn't it be much worse for them to be cut off from it? Rather than killing people, making them unable to interface with technology by whatever means?

As terrorism goes, it'd probably be a lot more effective in spreading fear than mere death - the victims are reduced.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 91