Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100674 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:34 pm »

What would happen if the mass of atoms was negated? Gravity doesn't really operate at those scale, but mass? What chemical process would actually be affected, and how?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:47 pm »

What would happen if the mass of atoms was negated? Gravity doesn't really operate at those scale, but mass? What chemical process would actually be affected, and how?
Not a physicist, but F=m*A applies to all forces, not just gravity, so it would affect how strongly electrons are bound to their atoms among other things.  The fine structure constant scales the ratio of electrostatic repulsive force and the gravitational attraction between two like-charged particles.  A lot of chemistry depends on this value, and you'd be fiddling with it directly.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2016, 03:56:10 pm »

sheb:

look at water. It has a very strong electric dipole moment. That is why its meniscus curls up against gravity in a test tube. (compare with the meniscus of say, hexane.)  If you made the water massless, it would likely take on some very odd physical properties, and the dipole forces would be free to interact much more strongly. quite likely, it would tend to climb out of containers that werent stoppered very well, and would take on interesting shapes when exposed to electrical charge potentials. its ability to dissolve ionic salts would increase as well.

Though to be fair, tech that can do this trick would allow you to destroy stars. It is gavity that holds them together and sustains fusion. sending a honking big field emitter into a stat would cause it to fissle out and blow itself apart.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »

Mass is gravity
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2016, 04:35:49 pm »

*facepalm*
Mass is inertia. Gravity is the interaction between separate masses.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »

... no inertia is the interaction

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2016, 05:03:27 pm »

Catmeat confirmed for interdimensional traveler.

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.
Inertia is resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion (this includes changes to its speed, direction or state of rest).
Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all things with energy are brought toward (or gravitate toward) one another.
That's ripped straight from Wikipedia.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

Gravity is the force
Mass is the property
Inertia is the consequence

EG
Gravity interacts with objects with the mass property, and with naked spacetime. The force is conveyed by hypothetical gravitons.
The mass property is what determines how "sticky" the object is to spacetime. It is conveyed via the higgs particle.
Inertia is the consequence of a massed object interacting with spacetime and with some other kind of energy. (space is elastic, yo.)

A water molecule with no mass will not be sticky to spacetime. Being massless, it will travel at C as a necessity. (the same way a photon does.) It has charge, charge-self-interaction, and spin properties.  Without mass, the attractions and repulsions of those forces will function more like EM feilds than discrete particles. You will have curious things indeed if you made water massless. It would likely take on some kind of plasma dynamic form. Reducing the mass would make the consequences (inertial products) of those charges and spin properties remaining the same become quite apparent. The situation I painted prior about water taking on unusual fluid and solvent capabilities are consequences of reducing the inertial requirements of the water molecules by meddling with their masses. It takes less energy to dissolve substances all of a sudden, for instance. (Heat of crystallization when in aqueous solution changes, specific heat of the water changes, all kinds of things.)

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »

Mass Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.
inertiaGravity is resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion
GravityMass is a natural phenomenon by which all things with energy are brought toward one another.
That looks better doesnt it

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »

No. it doesn't.

Mass is a property. Not a force.  Gravity is a force, not a property.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2016, 05:18:52 pm »

Mass Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.
inertiaGravity is resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion
GravityMass is a natural phenomenon by which all things with energy are brought toward one another.
That looks better doesnt it
No, that looks so much worse! It's straight up wrong. I literally copy and pasted from the respective Wikipedia articles. You can check for yourself! Here, I'll link them!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »

Catmeat confirmed for interdimensional traveler.
That is all I have to say on the matter.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »

It may look wrong because of languages restrictions.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »

I'm taking this to PMs. I'm not looking for a flamewar.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »

It may look wrong because of languages restrictions.

You're not wrong because of language restrictions, you're just wrong.

You'd go Up faster, sure, but also down.
Plus the power v weight ratio would have to be really high or you'd be going in circles.

As for "faster and more vertical mobility", making yourself weightless for a half-second would do the same too, and then you could safely land on a weathervane, or pidgeon.
Make you weigh more, but remember:
1) The servos could be used to reduce movement as well as increase it. Lower your arms and the servos, rather than ceasing to function, could function at a reduced rate allowing more finesse.
2) You'll accelerate down towards the planet you're on at the same rate. You'll have a higher terminal velocity and when you land it would be akin to FO 4's power armour landings (ie a loud smack, not a quiet one), but if you have exosuits then you probably have shock absorbers in the setting
3) I had a 3 and forgot it whilst I was writing 1 and 2

You'd also want a strong frame for when you turn the weight reducers off, or they get damaged in combat. If you can still move when they're not active, that's much better to take into dangerous situations.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91