Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100709 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »

You cannot run a ship without generating heat, and you cannot be invisible unless you generate no heat.

You can vent it in a particular direction though.
You're just putting the heat somewhere else. They will see the hot mass you are dumping and find out where you are.

If you want to do stealth right, you also have to cool your space ship down to close the temperature of the solar wind at your position, else people will spot you by your thermal signature. Theoretically this is not impossible to do, you can dump the heat generated by on-board processes into internal some sort of internal storage, but such an internal storage has a limited capacity so your time instealth is likely to be limited to a few hours at most.
That's not getting rid of the heat, it's just concentrating it into one really bright hot spot instead of a wider silhouette. It takes power to refrigerate your ship, which means you need to fire up your nuclear reactor, which can be seen from outside the solar system.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:46 am »

Not if you're surrounded.

The entire point of stealth is that you can position yourself advantageously.  I imagine that a submarine wouldn't be too stealthy if it went to snorkel depth in the middle of an enemy surface action group.  That doesn't mean submarines can't go undetected.

Also, some of the heat will be absorbed by the ISM and solar wind, so any ship with sensitive enough sensors could pick up the venting.

Deep space is cold.  Space close to a star where you need to worry about the solar wind is comparatively boiling hot (200 kelvin around the asteroid belt compared to 3 kelvin in deep space).  A ship that could detect something like that would give about a million false positives a second.

Useful chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunlight#Intensity_in_the_Solar_System
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:12:18 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2016, 09:21:11 am »

You expect most star cruisers to have a computer (i.e mother, father) and a few may have on board gravity without it being a spinny space majig, you could mayhaps hack the comp and bust the gravity to 2 points higher, all the crew get fatter and your boarders... board the ship wearing some gravity influencing gears, then simply walk to the crew and drop a stone on their heads set grav to normal and cable tie the ship to your ships bumper and drive it to the nearest pay and spray, voila no longer wanted by space cops.
You could fire a short lived black hole into people imploding them. You could even effect gravity to the point where the affected ship and crew end up dying because of time dilation (running out of supplies) then board the 'ancient' ship laughing to the space bank.
Engineer an organisim to look like a control panel/button and it releases a stress gas that zombifys the crew and you have a work force, space fuck you could even have the gas do anything. Its scifi. The craziness is only limited by the tech level your races use.
And yes the military uses charged particle beams, samsung probably invented them
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2016, 09:22:39 am »

Buh... Tha... Er.... No science...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2016, 09:50:09 am »

Oh sorry did you want to hear me say laser or peace and repeat what I learn in chemistry. Haha you funny human I smile now.
Dont let your view of science distort an idea for a story.
Real space battles are usually explosive , laser plasma, firearm free cause chances of depressurising the space boat.
We dont even know the limit of elements or what gravity is so dont even try to tell me what is or isnt possible cause I consider scifi a version of fantasy.
And to the oxyeating bombs or any chem/bio gas, you have to consider the crew will have easy access to helmets and life support suits.
I in no way care to attempt to know anything nor care if im wrong so dont bother explaning or memeing it away. I am simply throwing ideas at the writer for inspiration

laser
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:28 am »

I think the idea is that they want realistic stuff.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2016, 10:52:26 am »

I in no way care to attempt to know anything nor care if im wrong
Such is evident.
However, the OP asked about how possible certain weapons systems are based on science. Saying anything is possible because of sci-fi space magic defeats the point.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »

I would say that "Science Fiction" is what this thread is intended for. "Tech fantasy" is what our friend Catmeat would like to dabble in. The two are quite thoroughly different. Compare 2001: ASO with Star Wars.

And to be fair, the military is actually developing various directed energy weapons, including charged particle beams. Most of them are either directly inferior to ballistic weapons, or intended for a different, more specialized purpose. Crowd control, say.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

What about space missiles?

Too slow, too easy to shoot down.
What about REALLY FAST space missiles, fired in salvos of 50 or more?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:59 pm »

What about space missiles?

Too slow, too easy to shoot down.
What about REALLY FAST space missiles, fired in salvos of 50 or more?

They'd have to be going at pretty much c to stop the target from just hitting each one with any kind of weapon and deflecting it way off course. Over astronomical distances, a perturbation of a fraction of a degree is important.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2016, 02:40:45 pm »

Scenario: portals exist. You have a gun that, when active, creates a portal to the surface of the sun. The portal is 1 meter in diameter.

What happens to people near the portal and how many safety features would you need to make it not deadly to the shooter/entire population of the planet?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2016, 02:42:18 pm »

How long is the portal open?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »

Let's say the shooter can choose how long it remains open. What would the maximum it could be open before something awful like all the air being sucked out of the atmosphere happens?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »

Let's say the shooter can choose how long it remains open. What would the maximum it could be open before something awful like all the air being sucked out of the atmosphere happens?

Basically forever.

The first thing is figuring out where the portal would be. The Sun has no true "surface", but you can put it in the photosphere because that is the outermost layer. A google search tells me that the density there is roughly 10-9 kg/m3 compared with Earth's atmospheric density of 10-3 kg/m3, so the atmosphere would eventually get sucked out. However, the atmosphere is really big and it would take a long time for it to leave (someone else can find an exact number for this).

The radiation shouldn't be much of an issue either. The 1m portal will emit roughly 5 x 106 W (using a 1m diameter hole and a solar radiation at the Sun's surface of 6.29 x 107 W/m2). Compare this with an average car's 9 x 105 watts or the average wind turbine (2.5 x 107 watts) and you'll see that it really isn't much energy. Sure, enough to melt anyone within several meters, but not planet-ending.

The ionizing radiation shouldn't be an issue, either, since the the atmosphere is very very effective at absorbing that.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:46 pm »

You expect most star cruisers to have a computer (i.e mother, father) and a few may have on board gravity without it being a spinny space majig, you could mayhaps hack the comp and bust the gravity to 2 points higher
These are all fair assumptions, but if we do have artificial gravity, it will probably be easier to use centrifugal force than any sort of gravity generator.
board the ship wearing some gravity influencing gears
This assumes that gravity works differently than it actually does. You really can't just turn gravity on and off, based on our understanding of physics.
cable tie the ship to your ships bumper and drive it to the nearest pay and spray, voila no longer wanted by space cops.
You might want to also scratch off the serial numbers.
You could fire a short lived black hole into people imploding them.
The energy necessary to produce [a microscopic] black hole is 39 orders of magnitude greater than the energies available at the LHC. The LHC takes 120 MW to run.
That's 300,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the power the Sun puts out in photons. It's 1.2*10^47 MW. That is NOT a antipersonnel weapon.
You could even effect gravity to the point where the affected ship and crew end up dying because of time dilation (running out of supplies) then board the 'ancient' ship laughing to the space bank.
That takes a such a ridiculous amount of energy, I'm not even going to distinguish it with a detailed response.
Engineer an organisim to look like a control panel/button and it releases a stress gas that zombifys the crew and you have a work force, space fuck you could even have the gas do anything. Its scifi. The craziness is only limited by the tech level your races use.
No, that's Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction. Here's a video talking about the difference between Science Fiction and Science Fantasy.
And yes the military uses charged particle beams, samsung probably invented them
Source?
Oh sorry did you want to hear me say laser or peace and repeat what I learn in chemistry.
No, I wanted you to keep your suggestions within the realm of the scientifically possible. I wanted to see ideas that, without leaps and bounds in our understanding of the basic principles of the universe, we could see in our world.
Dont let your view of science distort an idea for a story.
The Martian was a critically acclaimed novel and film. It is a GREAT story, and it is founded in really great science. Science did not get in its way, it pushed the narrative.
Real space battles are usually explosive , laser plasma, firearm free cause chances of depressurising the space boat.
Fair enough. I'll have to talk about how to reduce the risk of boarding actions later.
We dont even know the limit of elements or what gravity is so dont even try to tell me what is or isnt possible cause I consider scifi a version of fantasy.
Let me quote the OP to you, emphasis mine.
So I've had a few ideas of scifi weapons to use in my games and stories. I was wondering if any of them would be effective, not so much practical as scifi weapons usually aren't very practical but if they would be possible. If they are in the realm of possibility I would also like to hear how difficult it would be to produce.
And to the oxyeating bombs or any chem/bio gas, you have to consider the crew will have easy access to helmets and life support suits.
Yeah, that was something I tried to work my head around. I also tried to think about what would happen if the atmosphere control system- oh, wait, sorry, you don't care about what is and what isn't realistic.
I in no way care to attempt to know anything nor care if im wrong so dont bother explaning or memeing it away.
A. Clearly. B. I enjoy this, so don't tell me how to live my life.
I am simply throwing ideas at the writer for inspiration
As we all are, but we're doing it within the parameters he set in the OP.

Edit:
Haha you funny human I smile now.
Catmeat confirmed for... troglodyte? Alien? Non-native English speaker?

laser
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:14:52 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 91