Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 230052 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 1
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 03:20:45 pm »

Ha indeed. You got lucky :P

I guess the first thing I'd like to ask Tomasque is to what extent the game(s) are bastard?

Edit: specifically regarding what roles we get in the game (are we going to have those exact four types of roles in the game every time) and the roles themselves (like... various cop sanities, millers etc.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:22:55 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »

I wouldn't say 'lucky' as much as 'keeping my role info hidden produced results'.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »

I actually hit you N1, and tried to be funny with my one-shot ignite! :o so hiding your immunity just made you look scummy :P

I could've still won if folk weren't so hung up on the bloody mechanics :P I thought that was a pretty good gambit...

Should just stuck with what I wanted to do and hit FoU instead. Don't know why I changed my mind at the last minute :'(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:32 pm »

Hector:But it provided a way to confirm Starver's role, so it worked.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 03:36:39 pm »

Nobody's role was confirmed. That's part of what bothered me about all the mechanics nonsense.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 03:37:33 pm »

Well, before you ninjaed me with that revelation, I was guessing that Before the fuller details get added, I was guessing that I was Drenched, then. Thus the reluctance to counter my accusation (losing the one and only step forward towards victory).  Wait it out, Drench just one more tonight and Ignite tomorrow and that'd be a straight win.  No need to do anything more fancy than stay alive.

(I then went on to say...) If you'd drenched FoU on N0, instead, perhaps Igniting today and then relying on a mislynch (through shear argument) would have worked.

So, a bit of right, but a bit of wrong.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 03:40:47 pm »

My drench was an unlimited use action... I was hoping to get TBF lynched 'cause he was the scummiest acting player, then drench you during the night. Given what you said your role was, I was hoping that I'd be able to win at that point, rather than try to bluff my way through another day (by saying FoU was an insane cop or something)

Edit: should also say that my drench was a night action, ignite was a 1-shot day action. Both were untraceable :(

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »

I had a one-shot Drench.  Which was, amazingly, water.
Which provided heavy evidence for Starver.   Because independent of my role, he mentions water being a weakness.
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 03:47:43 pm »

Well that was interesting. Now let's do it(or something like it) twenty more times!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2016, 03:50:14 pm »

On confirmation of roles, by the balance of probability I could prove to myself that it was likely that FoU was roughly twice as likely to be Investigator than Evil.  Similarly, TBF was twice as likely to be the 'Special' as Evil.  Unlikely that either were the role I knew to be my own (depends on the Mod's hidden agenda) and unlikely that each was the the other's most-probable.

Hector (as I said) was unreadable.  Equal chance of any role, but adjusted by the above assumptions you looked 'least not-Evil'.

FoU's revelation tied down several of my assumptions into fact (primarily FoU's presumed role and your presumed role, but also flavour details).  Too much to so easily be an accidentally convenient lie.  Then I just had to not look scummy myself.  (Though I was possibly the most expendable, so was perfectly willing to make myself a night-kill target if it still helped the power-Townies.)

I'm not sure I would have played the Evil role any better, although I know I would have done it differently.  Won't explain how, though, in case I find I need to use that tactic myself, later. ;)

(Ninjaed by two, now three...) TBF: I was at the start very tempted to pepper my opening statement with phrases like "I don't want to be a washout", or something better, to clue in the (assumed) Townie with the water-skill that I had something like that as a Town weakness.  But couldn't work out how to phrase it without it possibly backfiring.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »

Mhm.  I don't know if I'd have picked up on it in any case.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »

Not sure how you could consider those things without any information in the game, Starver :P you only had your role, so everyone else has a 1 in 3 chance of being any one of the other roles.

Just out of curiousity though, and since I'm arguing from a position of ignorance, would you mind telling us precisely what your role and its abilities were? Might be something in that that allowed you to narrow stuff down.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2016, 06:13:02 pm »

Not sure how you could consider those things without any information in the game, Starver :P you only had your role, so everyone else has a 1 in 3 chance of being any one of the other roles.
...to start with.  Then people say things that change those chances.

(This is the first time it's clicked into place.  I'm usually terribly confused for far longer.  Expect the reversion to the mean, in future games.)

By the way, I've got three boxes here.  Two with goats in and one with a car in.  (Big boxes.  With airholes.)  Do you want to change your mind?  But maybe that's not the puzzle I want to argue about. ;)

Just out of curiousity though, and since I'm arguing from a position of ignorance, would you mind telling us precisely what your role and its abilities were? Might be something in that that allowed you to narrow stuff down.
I'm waiting for our hosting/mod to put the remaining "I'll add this later." information into the relevent post, and I wouldn't want to pre-empt that.  I might even learn something about myself.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »

...to start with.  Then people say things that change those chances.

This is true, but what made what FoU and TBF said any more likely to have them in the particular roles that you thought they had versus the role you thought I had?

You mentioned after my first post that my silence was damning (to that point) so did that factor into it?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:35 pm »

Edit: specifically regarding what roles we get in the game (are we going to have those exact four types of roles in the game every time) and the roles themselves (like... various cop sanities, millers etc.)
It is very likely that every game will follow that set of archetypes - at least vaguely. That's all I'm willing to say about that.

The roles themselves might be repeated, but no, it will be nothing close to the same game 21 times in a row.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 237