Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859280 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10185 on: July 26, 2022, 06:35:08 pm »

The world would be a much better place if parents were taught to view children as people and not extensions of their desires
But why would anyone want to bear people?
I don't get it either but I wish they'd let me adopt.  Like yeah technically it's legal for me, for now, but maybe I gave up because it wasn't legal while I grew up, and also they keep trying to stop people like me.  like jesus christ, fine I guess you fucking assholes... it's the children who suffer though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: July 26, 2022, 09:28:27 pm »

In what way is a mother expressing a wish for a boy in a very uninsistent way entitlement?

I mean I don't see how wanting a boy but still loving the girl you get unconditionally is that stretching.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:35:36 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: July 26, 2022, 09:34:54 pm »

I hope it turns out well, because people change - often for the better.
Maybe expressing her disappointment over her child is just a bit of outlet, parenting is hard.

If that disappointment continues and festers, that would be bad.  And far from new.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: July 26, 2022, 11:33:59 pm »

I mean I don't see how wanting a boy but still loving the girl you get unconditionally is that stretching.

I deeply envy people who experience so much control and predictability in their lives that they can have children and put the preferred genital arrangement of the (born) child sitting on their hip in the same wishlist as "a bigger mattress."

Personally, I wish I could take myself away and give my mother a proper child so that she could be happy. This mother's voice had the same tone: "If I had a boy, it would be so much ..." Her kid was too small to have done any of the disappointing female things her mom was anticipating; she looked like she was about six months old or so. She hadn't even done anything fuck it up yet except be born.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: July 27, 2022, 12:17:13 pm »

Feels weird to express disappointment, like you were opening a present and it wasn't what you guessed, or something. Having a preference is fine, being disappointed not so much. I was hoping for a boy, got a boy, but if I had gotten a girl I wouldn't have skipped a beat. The point of having a kid is to have a kid.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: July 27, 2022, 03:09:49 pm »

Or to have child labour

Never underestimate the persuasive power of child labour.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: July 27, 2022, 04:36:28 pm »

Sitting at a coffee shop near a mom's group while one of them bounces her baby daughter and says: "I wanted a boy. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I really wanted a boy."
While this is quite upsetting, and concerning, it is entirely possible that the mother recalls her problems getting along with her mother, and worries that she and her daughter are in for the same god awful experiences. It's the sort of self-awareness that there is a problem, while being completely oblivious to the problems of male children.
And while it's easy to SAY, "Oh, we'll just not have those problems", a lot comes down to teenage hormones. Only so much a parent can do to fix those problems.
Essentially, the parent creates a strong loving relationship prior to the child reaching pre-teens, then tries to survive the pre-teen and teenage years with some sort of relationship, then rebuild the relationship after the child matures into a young adult.

I'm basically trying to think best of this parent. I'm not losing sleep over the internet vilifying them.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: July 27, 2022, 04:49:03 pm »

Yea, no, I see no reason to name it a concern at all really.

Parents-to-be get really into the whole sex of the baby stuff. There are parties specifically to reveal it, and it's no surprise they get invested. Dad, mum, granny, great aunt Elizabeth. All of them will have a stake.

Add to that basic fantasies. 'I'd like three children, two girls and a boy.'

Or simple realities. 'I've had four boys in a row, I realllllly wanted a girl!' This last, incidentally, was my very own mother who dotes on all her (now adult) babies.

The snippet of conversation Vector heard is completely innocuous to me. In the right context it's ominous, but.... that's not such a context.

yeah, it was just one entry on the laundry list of expressed desires, such as for Nice Men Who Are Over Six Foot Tall and a King Size Bed.
Oh hey, I'm one of those things! Get their number?  :P
But seriously. The other things listed alongside the preferred sex goes a long way to showing just how innocuous a statement it was.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: July 27, 2022, 05:04:35 pm »

How do you get things done as a bed?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: July 27, 2022, 05:10:35 pm »

When you're King Size you have your subjects do things for you. Your subjects are probably beds too, though. Not sure how it helps tbh.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:38 pm »

Yes, my position. I understand what it is you all are concerned about, I just don't think it's implied by the piece of conversation.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: July 27, 2022, 05:48:06 pm »

I'm not sure, but I still manage to get a bed in life, so it's all good.

When you're King Size you have your subjects do things for you. Your subjects are probably beds too, though. Not sure how it helps tbh.

No longer will the beds of the world sleep through their troubles. No more will they allow urine to seep between once-pristine springs. No more will they be fornicated upon, or lined up in shops, or experience the iniquity of drooling invalids!

Your comment reflects the old world order. The assumption that the beds of the world will not AWAKEN. And SEIZE their promised bedroom.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:50:56 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: July 27, 2022, 07:39:01 pm »

I'm very well aware that people get very excited about the prospect of one or another, the "matching set," and so on. It's definitely best to have one of each because then you can do up your Game of Life car like the transgender pride flag. If it was all the same then the colors just wouldn't balance.

Why, in my family, my grandmother wanted a boy and a girl with blue eyes, and a boy and a girl with brown eyes. And she got them! She didn't really want the brown-eyed girl, my mom, so she abused her for her entire life. But at least she had a matched team, which is better aesthetically, and gave her at least one kind thing she could say to my mother. Even though she was just a girl.

Just the thing to go with your salt and pepper shaker, your monogrammed towels and your silverware set. Thank God I'm not normal or they might make me birth a king-sized mattress!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: July 27, 2022, 08:27:10 pm »

100f. It's too hot to do anything today.

High of 103f expected later this week
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: July 28, 2022, 02:40:52 am »

I'm not sure, but I still manage to get a bed in life, so it's all good.

No longer will the beds of the world sleep through their troubles. No more will they allow urine to seep between once-pristine springs. No more will they be fornicated upon, or lined up in shops, or experience the iniquity of drooling invalids!

Your comment reflects the old world order. The assumption that the beds of the world will not AWAKEN. And SEIZE their promised bedroom.
But how will the free mattresses stand up against the king's king sized army of army cot mattresses?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 779