Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858992 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8970 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:38 am »

Linux is my daily driver for any laptop- I'd have to shuffle some data around to get a dual-boot running for my desktop, but it'd definitely be worth it. I haven't used it in ages, though, since I've had no good reason to use a laptop and mine hard freezes when the screen is moved and has a failing battery and overheats like it's nobody's business, i regret buying it refurbished. except when I need to pull data off an SD card.

Might go take it to camp at a library with these oppressively hot days, though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: June 11, 2021, 01:10:31 pm »

I do gaming, so I have windows.

I can't see any attraction to Apple. It's intentionally obtuse, you can't upgrade it yourself, all as a measure to force higher costs on their users.

Also, I used to work with them and they are the most underhanded, condescending, dirty little conniving assholes that it's ever been my professional displeasure to rely on for cooperation.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: June 11, 2021, 01:14:48 pm »

Only reason why I have it is that work was letting us have our old compies for $250 and I a. wanted to play Disco Elysium on it (didn't have my windows box at the time) but more importantly b. needed a teaching laptop and absolutely none of the peripheral hardware required actually worked with Linux.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: June 11, 2021, 02:00:01 pm »

I mean, I wouldn't refuse to use it or anything, but it's my last choice. It's not like its 2x the quality for 2x the price. More like 2x the price for a different UI.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: June 11, 2021, 02:20:44 pm »

Eh, Apple is proprietary and is higher initial price - because you are actually paying the whole price*.  With Microsoft and Google and Facebook, you are "always" paying due to rent-seeking and advertising behavior.

Linux costs no dollars, but often does have non-dollar cost.

I don't really care about "open" or "proprietary", but I do care about rent-seeking***.  Microsoft is indeed more open than Apple these days - but I still prefer Apple's modus operandi, at least today.

*This is for Apple stuff proper. I don't count downloading "free" iOS Apps, because those do have advertising in them.  When you buy a Mac, or an iOS device and don't download any ad-ware - that's it.  Apple isn't getting money for your eyeballs**.

**Ok sort of - Apple gets bucketloads of cash to make Google their default search engine.

***I don't count the Apple App Store 30% commission as rent-seeking, because they only get that cash at transaction time - it's not a continuous payment.  It might be a high commission yes, but it's not rent-seeking in the modern sense.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: June 11, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »

My beef with Apple, apart from the proprietary nonsense, is that they impede repair at every possible step. Really, that's related to the fact that they break standards at every possible opportunity, since repairability is strongly correlated with standardization. If you replace the home button on an iPhone at a 3rd party store, its fingerprint sensor will never work, because the security stuff associated with it is tied to Apple themselves. Only they can reprogram it right. I don't know why you'd store security information in a friggin' fingerprint sensor, but there you go.

IIRC, one of us tried repairing a MacOS laptop, and you can't even make a boot disk without paying for software! There's a free trial, but still. Rufus, usually the Ol' Reliable of boot disk production, will not work with MacOS. Buncha dicks Apple are.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: June 11, 2021, 05:06:50 pm »

Because then they can charge you for repairs.

Dats it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: June 12, 2021, 12:13:20 am »

apple is shit
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: June 12, 2021, 02:02:23 am »

(never mind it doesn't fit here)
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: June 12, 2021, 02:23:57 am »

(never mind it doesn't fit here)
I agree. Apple doesn't fit anywhere but the darkest, deepest sulfur cracks of hell.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: June 12, 2021, 11:11:47 am »

Rufus, usually the Ol' Reliable of boot disk production, will not work with MacOS. Buncha dicks Apple are.

They market this as "Our proprietary everything is of higher quality, and THE MAN just doesn't want to make compatible tools for our superior product that is designed to service you, the savviest of users".

The reality is "Ok, someone made a tool that lets them circumvent our paid service dept? Time to redesign our systems to defend against this financial attack".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: June 12, 2021, 05:36:03 pm »

I have these new Bluetooth earbuds, I love them, they sound great, but there's one flaw with them: the right earbud tends to emit a high-pitched buzzing noise. Really high-pitched, somewhere in the 15 KHz range. What kinda problem would cause that? It's annoying me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: June 12, 2021, 05:44:15 pm »

Obviously the government microchips in your bloodstream have gotten stuck in your ears.

Solution: Remove ears.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: June 13, 2021, 01:39:03 am »

Obviously the government microchips in your bloodstream have gotten stuck in your ears.

Solution: Remove ears.
You also need to remove all of your blood.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: June 13, 2021, 02:55:16 am »

I have never gotten why people make it seem like Apple is so much better than every other brand, because as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same as other stuff but it costs way more any you can only use special apple branded stuff with it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 779