Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859236 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8775 on: April 02, 2021, 01:30:11 pm »

No one I know did an April Fools joke this year...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106390.msg8265768#msg8265768

It's the holiday tradition you never knew that two whole people adhere to!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: April 02, 2021, 02:32:35 pm »

No one I know did an April Fools joke this year...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106390.msg8265768#msg8265768

It's the holiday tradition you never knew that two whole people adhere to!

we did not gheed their warnings

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: April 02, 2021, 05:31:40 pm »

The half-dozen things I have to opt-out of while installing Windows 10 are making me literally nauseous.  If I want Skype or any of the rest of their garbage fucking bundleware, I'll install them myself, jesus.

I guess I can't blame Windows 10 specifically for being 640x480 though.  That changes dependent on output device, so I guess that's just HDMI being a shitty overrated "standard".  I had full resolution on my brother's TV, but not on mine (both in Knoppix and in "Windows")

oh but the part where it crashes moments after reaching the desktop?  And hangs with "no signal" whenever I try to boot it back up?  that's pretty shit.

FUCK Microsoft, fuck Windows, and fuck Windows 10 in particular.  As if I even want this mobile app-selling "OS" - I'm only still here for the third party programs.  This isn't software development, it's just asset leveraging, you mindless corporate hacks.  How is this ass of a company even still relevant.  How are they getting away with the same monopolistic bundling shit.  Fuck.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: April 02, 2021, 05:33:18 pm »

It costs more for businesses to pivot to another OS than it does to just deal with their dumb crap, basically.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: April 02, 2021, 05:42:20 pm »

I would strongly recommend using Windows 10 Debloater to at least get the worst crap out of it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: April 02, 2021, 05:55:05 pm »

Upgrading from Waterfox Classic to Waterfox current, since websites are increasingly not working with Classic. Got it looking almost the same, but there are still several annoyances. It seems there is literally no way to get the search bar to clear automatically after searching. There are no addons that do it. (Even the one for Classic doesn't exist anymore, but I still have it installed.) Certain websites don't remain logged in if you open them in a new tab. (Not sure if that's due to some privacy setting, but it happens even when I set it to remember history.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: April 02, 2021, 08:31:10 pm »

I still can't get over the fact that one of my friends decided to tell me that he has a large collection of fetishes. Anything you could possibly be attracted to, he's probably into it. If you could make a cute anime girl out of the x86 instruction set, he'd probably want to fuck that. I won't think less of anyone for having kinks and fetishes, but the fact remains that he made the conscious decision to continue telling me even when I kept being disgusted at it. It cost him $0.00 to not tell me. Now I have to live knowing that. You just can't control some people. Dude needs to go to Horny Jail.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: April 03, 2021, 01:39:21 am »

Went to a friend's apartment and they were like "hey, let me show you this cool thing!"

Went down to the basement level where there was an enormous 1 ton bank vault door, with the clear glass on the back and the piston locks and all that. The door was easily 5 feet tall. The vault inside had been cleaned out and turned into like a game room or something.

Said friend goes "it's so crazy!" and swings the door gently toward the closed position and is like "try it!"

So I start swinging it back toward the open position, where the door meets the wall of the vault.

It takes a bit of effort just to get it moving but it does. And as it starts moving under its own momentum (just a gentle, 1 ton swing) I realize it's going to keep swinging right into the wall. My brain goes "don't let it slam in to the wall" and so I try to start braking its swing with my grip on the handle.

It's not stopping, not stopping, man maybe it's time I just let---

*pop*

My wrist folds over as the full actual weight of the door goes into the right plane.

No, I didn't snap/break/shatter my wrist. Just really, really hyper extended all the tendons and ligaments in there. I'm currently typing with both hands at normal speed as long as I don't try to do anything fancy.. Wrist still moves in all planes but is completely stiff, hurts like hell, and that hand has no grip strength. Still went around and drank a few beers and had dinner, and I don't consider myself exceptionally macho in that regard. Of course is this after 600mg of Ibprofen. As soon as the anti-inflammation wears off.....

I think I'll be ok but I'm down my dominant hand for.....? Probably a few weeks at a minimum. And I gotta move in a week, just called the truck today. Not quite the worst thing I could have done but pretty damn bad. Just glad I did most of my packing already, all I have left is to break down big heavy shit.....

Feeling like a complete dumbass. In my hubris I thought I had considered the physics involved. I did not.

That said, I consider myself lucky. If my hand had been between that handle and the wall it would have been turned to paste. Or on a lesser scale, shattered my wrist. I think I let go before any really extreme damage happened. Kinda reminds when I slipped and fell on the ice a few years ago and my full weight came down on my elbow at my side. Same similar kind of "everything feels like a steel cable in there" sensation.

I am perpetually amazed at how accident prone I am. Feels like I have something semi-major happen at least once a year. And I don't even want to think what this is going to do to my lifting in the gym. Literally everything is going to be harder/more painful/needs lighter weight because of this. UUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:50:05 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: April 03, 2021, 10:02:14 am »

Ouch. Try icing it every 4hrs or so for the first couple days and then use a heat pack on it. Tendon injuries really suck though, take a damn age to heal. Hopefully you didnt tear anything.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: April 03, 2021, 02:39:03 pm »

Yeah, my elbow has never been quite right since I fell on it. I imagine this is going to be similar. I actually do some wrist mobility work as part of working out, and I'm wondering how much worse this might have been had I not been primed for that sort of extension.

I don't think I've torn anything. At least it doesn't feel that way and I listen pretty closely to my body and there's lots of things I wouldn't be able to do if I had.

Today my arm works and I can type normally so, that's a good sign. There's still some swelling and the wrist area is pretty stiff and sore. But I haven't taken any Ibprofen yet.

Underside of my wrist is forming a bluish bruise though and this dark line has appeared right along where a tendon runs. So while everything works, there's clearly been tissue trauma of some kind.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: April 03, 2021, 02:41:38 pm »

Ooh, yeah, I did basically the same thing like (if not quite like that). A month ago, now? Four, five weeks? Had most of my grip strength back by the end of week three, I think. Which is when I incidentally went to the doc for something else and might-as-well'd an xray to make sure there wasn't anything serious damage since it was still hurting and somewhat weak.

Incidentally, if you have the finances for it, doc recommends getting it checked, like, now, instead of three weeks from now. Things could have gotten detached or somethin', and rolling the dice on it getting back into good shape on its own is, well... rolling the dice, on your dominant hand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: April 05, 2021, 09:53:43 am »

It's snowing. Another cold week incoming. Not as bad as the last one though, temperature will barely drop below freezing, and only at night.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: April 05, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »

Well, X-rays show a hairline fracture on one of my arms bones. Guess the sound I heard was more of a snap then a pop. Guess I’m in a cast for the next 4-6 weeks. I move on Friday.

FML. Was happier before I knew I had a fracture.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: April 05, 2021, 03:28:27 pm »

Well, I guess it's a good opportunity to get to know your new neighbors, when they help you unload the van.
Don't underestimate the willingness to help a stranger in casts.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: April 05, 2021, 03:31:16 pm »

"Howdy neighbor, I have beer, pizza, and a problem."

Good luck with the move!
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 779