Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858886 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8385 on: November 26, 2020, 08:21:14 am »

Yeah, it's just some niche one-man-devteam thing built on Ren'Py, and the dude is just fantastically good at breaking his own damn code  :P

Looking at some of the functions and the commenting, I think he might actually be dyslexic. Which, y'know, is great for a programmer! I had to plonk down a save, exit out, and dig up one of the files because he'd added a new random event that very version which required referencing a group of NPCs in the room.

Code: [Select]
$ the_group = GroupDisplayManager([person_one, person_two], primary_speaker = person_one)
TWO LINES LATER
Code: [Select]
$ the_gropu.draw_group(emotion = "angry")
Which of course meant that this new event he'd just added in and listed as a feature in the newest release was, in fact, completely untested and would break immediately upon firing.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: November 26, 2020, 10:30:34 am »

Parts of my notes I left in my phone had been erased. Mostly, a chunk in the middle. For that to happen, I must've mistapped a bunch of things when I wasn't looking. I really, really hate phones...

EDIT: And now I noticed auto-correct/auto-fill made some things more illegible than if they'd just been left as misspellings. Did I mention I really, really hate phones?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:22:14 am by ShinQuickMan »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: November 26, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »

It doesn't mean he's dyslexic, that happens often, but the fact he didn't test it even before pushing it out is not good.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8388 on: November 26, 2020, 01:29:03 pm »

My company has some typo'd function names and stuff in our codebase, but it all still works. I'm mostly too nervous to fix them because I didn't write most of the code and I'm scared of breaking unit tests somewhere weird.

Of course, unit tests existing at all sounds like a step up here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:24 pm »

Yeah, whatever you do, don't touch the typo'd names. Leave best alone.

I've had the "I'll just tidy this bit up" idea in a working code-base but it's lead to a rabbithole of hours of fixing new problems that caused, to the point where you just end up reverting to the previous version instead of dealing with the ever-growing list of broken dependencies.

Or you see something and think it shouldn't work that way, so you simplify it, find that it's lead to a cascade of changes, but it'll be worth it because you simplified it, only to come full-circle to realizing that the original way of doing it avoided some bug that you didn't take into account. An example might be an array starting from index "1" but you think that's a waste of memory, so you shift the entries to start from zero, only to realize that entry zero, while never used, is in fact used for some special logic somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:16:45 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: November 26, 2020, 05:30:16 pm »

Visiting family for Thanksgiving, sorta.  Mom+brother a few days ago, then dad yesterday.

First off, I've always liked Thanksgiving.  Its roots are deeply problematic, and I use that word with no irony- it's a good time to remember what some of my ancestors did to First Nations people.  But as holidays go, it's lovely how human it is.  Just a lot of extended family sharing food, often for the only time in a year.  A time to awkwardly catch up, warm up, and remember that these people exist.

Obviously it's different, this year.  I helped my mom and brother with yardwork, keeping a distance.  We talked anime and had a nice time being productive.  Then yesterday I visited my dad and his SO and well... I tried to stay safe, but I literally let my mask down a little, once or twice.  Stupid.  But I wanted them to see my face, and I'm almost certainly clean, just...  They're vulnerable...

The whole thing was just so exhausting.  When I got home I just passed out, sore.  Woke up before dawn, worried about mortality and things. 

My mom wanted me up in the mountains tonight for dinner, and she does a *great* job with turkey.  But I couldn't drive three hours for that.  Particularly being a potential vector, but also, just so very tired.  I'd have to stay the night, obviously, and my social "mask" would wear off and I'd start talking about things.  Like I did in DC.

It's hard keeping people at arm's length at this time of year.  Pun intended.
The state-based memory of hanging out with each of my parents is also... at least mildly upsetting.  It disrupts my ego.

Just when I'm starting to feel normal, everything's thrown off.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: November 26, 2020, 09:11:28 pm »

Yeah, whatever you do, don't touch the typo'd names. Leave best alone.

I've had the "I'll just tidy this bit up" idea in a working code-base but it's lead to a rabbithole of hours of fixing new problems that caused, to the point where you just end up reverting to the previous version instead of dealing with the ever-growing list of broken dependencies.

Or you see something and think it shouldn't work that way, so you simplify it, find that it's lead to a cascade of changes, but it'll be worth it because you simplified it, only to come full-circle to realizing that the original way of doing it avoided some bug that you didn't take into account. An example might be an array starting from index "1" but you think that's a waste of memory, so you shift the entries to start from zero, only to realize that entry zero, while never used, is in fact used for some special logic somewhere.

This is why I’m glad I own my own code base. Why the hell would anyone do shit like that in the first place. Recently, I’ve been looking into ways of avoiding “eval” for user input code that doesn’t involve implementing my own code parser, only to discover there are people out there who use “eval” as a magic fix-all because they don’t have a fucking clue what they’re doing. Anyway, for that specific issue I’ve decided to go with sandboxing and compartmentalisation (with eval), but wtf?

Is writing clean code *that* hard?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: November 26, 2020, 09:13:59 pm »

Are you using Python? You can use ast.literal_eval .
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: November 26, 2020, 09:32:38 pm »

Are you using Python? You can use ast.literal_eval .

I’m using JavaScript at the moment. Browsers provide good support for sandboxing, and you can run it in parallel to avoid CPU wasting attacks, so the issue is mostly resolved. Users won’t be able to hurt themselves, and a malicious third party probably wouldn’t have been able to hurt them unless their browser was already compromised. I just tend to err on the side of paranoia with these things, in case there’s some gaping vulnerability I’ve missed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: November 27, 2020, 01:12:11 am »

it's my years-long tradition to be badly perturbed whenever large holidays roll around, and this year is no different. I just feel like a worthless piece of shit, petty and stupid, a nobody that's doing nothing, an utterly futureless loser. In my impotent rage today I smashed an old vacuum cleaner of mine to pieces, showering my living room in dust, dirt, and the former plastic pieces of the vacuum. It wasn't a very good vacuum, that's the only consolation as I do a sloppy and depressed job of cleaning it up. I wish there was someone here to judge and punish me, but if you want something done right you just gotta do it yourself I guess.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: November 27, 2020, 01:52:43 am »

What is it about the modern world that leads to so many mental illnesses? I’ve seen it countless times and it seems to fly in the face of all the very real progress that has been made over the past century. I suspect the breakdown of community-level organisations has played some part in this, but I can’t help but feel there’s more to it than this.

For what it’s worth Joshua, you’re eloquent enough that I’m certain you’re no loser. I don’t really understand your circumstances and would rather avoid masquerading as a forum-therapist, so I’ll leave it at that. Good luck.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: November 27, 2020, 02:01:08 am »

I don't know if there's actually any hard data saying it's increased.

You can look at somewhere like India. In vast areas of India they live in conditions that are barely better than hundreds of years ago, so it's a good case study. About 200 million Indians estimated to have mental disorders:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(19)30475-4/fulltext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: November 27, 2020, 02:03:37 am »

You have to account for better detection rates.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: November 27, 2020, 02:30:43 am »

That would seem to suggest it’s largely independent of circumstances, though. Which is interesting, although a little disturbing if it means mental health is determined by factors like genetics. I suppose it could be empowering to know it’s not one’s own fault for feeling depressed. But, my outlook on this might be atypical.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: November 27, 2020, 03:03:31 am »

If someone is completely mentally robust, it tends to take some pretty heavy duty trauma to make them actually mentally ill. People are fairly resilient.

Consider actual depression, other people try and cheer them up, etc, nothing works. It's not just about some circumstance that made you sad. You can have some pretty horrible stuff happen to you that makes you sad, but ... even then, those people don't generally get diagnosed with clinical depression as a result.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:06:14 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 779