Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859153 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4740 on: October 25, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »

Sorry Kagus, but you're not to blame there.

I've been there and that seems exactly like the dynamic of an emotionally-abusive / passive-aggressive girlfriend or boyfriend.

They'll use some repeated petty jab at you then if you call them out on the behavior they'll play the victim. When you call them out on their own behavior, keep an eye out for retorts about your mother or statements such as "that's why your mother never loved you" which was a favorite line of my ex-girlfriend who was emotionally abusive in similar ways. (BTW my mother is perfectly lovely and that girlfriend never met my family. It's my dad I had conflicts with). The details might be different, but these sorts of things are red flags.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:28:39 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: October 25, 2018, 06:28:38 pm »

I'd been sort of eyeing up a good looking girl in class (sexist? Maybe. Often what happens? Certainly.)
Ummmmm. I don't think anyone in their right minds would call that sexist, as long as you aren't making the good looking person in question uncomfortable. (Heck, even if you were I doubt "sexist" would be the right word for it.) Womenfolk have been known to closely observe attractive members of their gender of preference, too, y'know.
Oh, you'd be surprised. I go to university; it's a hotbed for... well, 'SJWs' probably fits. There's something called the "male gaze" which is particularly relevant to the current discussion. Anyway, the particular world view of students is what I am surrounded by, so I often (unintentionally) make qualifying remarks which are generally not needed outside the lecture hall.

Ahhh drat. This is obviously minor but still niggling at me. I'd been sort of eyeing up a good looking girl in class (sexist? Maybe. Often what happens? Certainly.) Anyway, she sat beside me today and it turns out she's very likeable and had the rare quality of making me feel relaxed.

Darnation.

Once again, woe is you.  How difficult your life must be.  I shall weep and pray for your guidance from this awful place.
Well, I did say it was minor. :P

The real problem is that, like the last time this happened, I'll eventually start double guessing myself ad nauseum and get awkward. Ah well. C'est la vie. And societal navigation does add spice to a day. Strangely, that was my third friendly/amusing conversation with an interesting girl that day. Something of a record.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:30:51 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: October 25, 2018, 06:28:57 pm »

So is the "friend" portion of "Girlfriend" optional?

The "Girl" part certainly is
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: October 25, 2018, 06:32:08 pm »

Oh, you'd be surprised. I go to university; it's a hotbed for... well, 'SJWs' probably fits. There's something called the "male gaze" which is particularly relevant to the current discussion. Anyway, the particular world view of students is what I am surrounded by, so I often (unintentionally) make qualifying remarks which are generally not needed outside the lecture hall.

Reducing the concept of the 'male gaze' to men actually just looking at things, therefore looking is sexist is both ridiculous and reduces the entire concept to inanity. If the gaze itself is sexist then it doesn't explain why the 'female gaze' isn't just as problematic. For example the types of men shown on every romance novel ever create unrealistic body expectations for men, and there are height-related biases in dating, and a height-based income gap that dwarfs the gender-pay-gap.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:38:40 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: October 25, 2018, 06:37:34 pm »

The general idea of the 'male gaze' is that it creates an image of women that men can enjoy looking at. It's not just men "looking at things," it's men looking at women in an appreciative manner. Which is what I was doing. This reduces women to an aesthetic component manipulated by the male mind.

Personally I think enjoying looking at a woman's figure is fine, though. So long as you're not caught doing it. Others would say that it reduces the woman to a pleasure-image, not a person. Makes her a sexual object.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: October 25, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »

Good looking people make much more money. It's kinda silly to worry that people are looking at them.

But like I stated, it's equally true that men who women find attractive are plastered all over the media. Think Calvin Klein billboards. The same as you have female superstars who are ridiculously hot in ways normal women cannot usually match you have shit like Vin Diesel being adored by a horde of dumb teen girls. He's not up there because of his amazing acting ability.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:43:26 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: October 25, 2018, 06:42:05 pm »

I believe there is a much-less-discussed "female gaze" which was only thought of as the "male gaze's" inevitable companion.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: October 25, 2018, 06:44:31 pm »

Yup, it's not the concept which is flawed, it's when one side of a concept is the only side that's discussed, it's bias by omission.

For example it would be easy to make statements about how men are big consumers and that they buy many products to make them feel good about who they are, and call out that as shallow and the products as inane. But that would be grossly sexist since you'd be calling out on one gender for a behavior which both genders demonstrably indulge in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:46:22 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: October 25, 2018, 09:35:12 pm »

...Are you the sort of person who craves rapport with and acceptance from your peers, even when they are clearly your inferiors intellectually?
Otherwise I see no reason you couldn't simply tell them where to stick such an absurd idea if it comes up in conversation, especially in the context of giving you a hard time for having functional eyesight.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: October 26, 2018, 03:50:30 am »

I don't crave a rapport, per se, but not bringing it up does lead to a more peaceful existence.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: October 26, 2018, 05:21:33 am »

Looking at people is now non-PC.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: October 26, 2018, 05:38:55 am »

Looking at people is now non-PC.
The only PC thing to do is just mash the A button to make dialogue go faster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: October 26, 2018, 05:43:13 am »

*Passes by people who are playing a boardgame version of Fallout*

"HEY! That's non-PC!"

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: October 26, 2018, 05:43:55 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:58:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: October 26, 2018, 05:53:39 am »

Had a somewhat related incident a couple days ago when I was taking the train back home. I noticed out of the corner of my male peripheral vision that this one gal was repeatedly glancing at me while she was getting ready for her stop. Any movement from me would cause her to quickly avert her eyes and look at something else until I turned my head back to inspect the seat in front of me.

Finally, just as she was about to leave the train, I managed to catch her gaze. On a whim, I winked at her. She hurriedly looked away and exited the train before bringing her phone up and mashing away at it furiously.

I'm still not sure if she was looking at me because she thought I was attractive or because she thought I looked like a washed-up hobo. I'm not sure if "This cute guy on the train winked at me today" or "This creepy weirdo on the train winked at me today" is funnier. All in all I regret the action terribly, and am glad I did it.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 779