Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858916 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4440 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:18 am »

I mean, you could have just put a cap on the number of dice rolls that you could get with 6 chaining

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: September 20, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »

If you want the general formula, there's another sum to know, which is that (1 + 2 + 3 + .... + n) = n(n+1)/2.

Denoting n(n+1)/2 as "T", you get the series T * (1/n + (1/n)^2 + (1/n)^3 + ...), which isn't quite the geometric series since it's lacking a leading zero power term.

Your real answer will be the full series minus that leading term that isn't there, which is  T/(1-1/n) - T, which can be simplified to n(n+1)/[2(n-1)] for any n-sided die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 20, 2018, 11:32:27 pm »

I done went and slept in again. I feel like boiled garbage.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4443 on: September 21, 2018, 06:36:55 am »

If you want the general formula, there's another sum to know, which is that (1 + 2 + 3 + .... + n) = n(n+1)/2.

Denoting n(n+1)/2 as "T", you get the series T * (1/n + (1/n)^2 + (1/n)^3 + ...), which isn't quite the geometric series since it's lacking a leading zero power term.

Your real answer will be the full series minus that leading term that isn't there, which is  T/(1-1/n) - T, which can be simplified to n(n+1)/[2(n-1)] for any n-sided die.

Im so amazed by people who understand that stuff on a theoretical level. I'm just thinkering, like bashing numbers like a brain damaged toddler until they have an ok shape. I'm totally incapable of demonstrating the accuracy of what I do, but it...seems to work
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:41:13 am by Cathar »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: September 21, 2018, 06:57:43 am »

"Roll a dice, if it's 6, take 6 + another dice" would be flawed, since you can't roll a final result of 6, 12, 18 ... etc ... with that system, so there would be gaps in the distribution. Which wouldn't matter much for some things, but in other cases would lead to weird omissions, such as if you used that system to roll how many planets are in a solar system, no solar system could ever have an exact multiple of 6 planets.

So, do you take 5+NewDice when you roll a 6 or what? I'm guessing you take 6+NewDice, since 3.5 is the average roll on a d6. But, you really should count the 6 as a 5 (the highest non-roll-again value) before adding another dice.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:03:17 am by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 21, 2018, 07:16:10 am »

Reelya? MORE LIKE Reely likes editing his posts a
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 21, 2018, 07:22:33 am »

It's not very nice to ad hominem and try and start fights out of nowhere.

EDIT: pretty sure that sort of thing is against some forum guidelines:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38442.0
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:24:41 am by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 21, 2018, 07:26:36 am »

It's a pretty friendly, inoffensive joke. I don't get how it could be perceived as an ad hominem, especially when there is no real argument or debate going on in the first place.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 21, 2018, 07:28:17 am »

It's a pretty friendly, inoffensive joke. I don't get how it could be perceived as an ad hominem, especially when there is no real argument or debate going on in the first place.

It can be easily taken as an attempt to ice someone out of the forums. Consider sarcasm tags.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 21, 2018, 07:31:01 am »

And he edited his post! Talk about very justified friendly ribbing.

I've never even heard the phrase 'ice someone' before in a non-gangster context.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: September 21, 2018, 07:34:33 am »

It can be easily taken as an attempt to ice someone out of the forums. Consider sarcasm tags.

But sarcasm tags are oxymoronic

And he edited his post! Talk about very justified friendly ribbing.

I've never even heard the phrase 'ice someone' before in a non-gangster context.

I don't know if it's a thing in American English, but 'freeze out" (because it is "ice out", not just "ice") is a phrase here in Sweden
Love, scriver~

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 21, 2018, 07:39:33 am »

It can be easily taken as an attempt to ice someone out of the forums.
But... how? It's just mentioning that you edit your posts a lot. It's so innocent I can't even conceive how it could possibly be an attempt to harass someone or make them feel uncomfortable.

And I don't think sarcasm tags are really appropriate for a factual statement  :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:47 am »

I've had people hassle me about it before, as a response in a discussion we were having, in place of having an actual point rebutting what I was saying. It isn't a nice feeling, and it's the kind of thing that makes people want to stop posting.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:42 am »

I for one like you and your editing posts as necessary just the way you are, Reelya. Never change~
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: September 21, 2018, 11:24:45 am »

I honestly have to say the post-editing can cause confusion, even though I've been impressed by several of your posts (particularly last month, for whatever reason).  Whatever helps you build such nuanced arguments.

I'm pretty guilty of post-editing myself, though I *usually* manage to limit it to the brief timer wherein it doesn't mark the post as edited.
It's not that unusual for me to make 2 or even 3 edits within that timer, though.  It's a bad habit, I should preview more carefully.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 779