Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 792

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1094671 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4455 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »

If it makes you feel any better 4reels-ya you have one of the most recognizable and unique posting styles of anyone on the forum. Sometimes I'll just be reading posts without bothering to look at the poster, and something will strike me to think "This is Reelya" and my eyes dart to the left, and I'm confirmed every time. You can decide for yourself how good or bad that is.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4456 on: September 21, 2018, 03:49:44 pm »

Confusion over a math problem causes a giant brawl, kills five

Dorfy as hell

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: September 21, 2018, 04:12:10 pm »

If you want the general formula, there's another sum to know, which is that (1 + 2 + 3 + .... + n) = n(n+1)/2.

Denoting n(n+1)/2 as "T", you get the series T * (1/n + (1/n)^2 + (1/n)^3 + ...), which isn't quite the geometric series since it's lacking a leading zero power term.

Your real answer will be the full series minus that leading term that isn't there, which is  T/(1-1/n) - T, which can be simplified to n(n+1)/[2(n-1)] for any n-sided die.

Im so amazed by people who understand that stuff on a theoretical level. I'm just thinkering, like bashing numbers like a brain damaged toddler until they have an ok shape. I'm totally incapable of demonstrating the accuracy of what I do, but it...seems to work
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An easy way of visualizing a simple case of the geometric series is to do what one of my calc professors once called "the pizza proof". Just draw a circle, divide it in half, divide one of the halves in half, divide one of the quarters in half, and so on. You'll see that the sum of these pieces approaches 1 (the whole circle), and so at least for the case n=2 it's easy to see that 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... = 1, and that 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ... = 2. This doesn't shed much light on the general formula that 1 + 1/n + 1/n^2 + .... = 1/(1 - 1/n), but it at least makes it easier to remember.

For the six sided die example, I started by writing that the average roll would be:
(1/6)(1+2+3+4+5+(6+(1/6)(1+2+3+4+5+(6+1/6(1+....)))))
-- which can be rewritten as:
(1/6)(1+2+3+4+5+6) + (1/6^2)(1+2+3+4+5+6) + ...
-- which by knowing that other sum that I posted can be generalized to:
n(n+1)/2 * [1/n + 1/n^2 + 1/n^3 + ... ]
But you need to watch out, since the geometric series includes a leading term (1/n)^0, i.e. 1, hence the other step of subtracting n(n+1)/2 from the result of the series formula.

If you want to do as Reelya suggested to avoid gaps in the distribution, you could start with imaging what the infinite average roll for say a 4 sided die would look like:
(1/4)(1+2+3+(3+1/4(1+2+3+(3+1/4(1+...)))))
-- and generalize from there.

Fakedit:
For the record, I also usually edit most of my posts like 2-6 times after posting instead of proofreading, but this tendency is balanced by a burning desire to do it quickly enough to avoid the "post last edited" mark at the bottom, which I consider to be a blemishing compromise on any post's rhetorical ethos and aesthetic integrity.

In fact, I've already edited this post twice after posting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »

That feel when you go to your friend/ex for emotional support and he's all "What's wrong" and you're "Nothing let's just chat" and it's nice

and then an hour of theories about the future of the Marvel cinemactic universe
Did you know there's a Hobgoblin which is different from Green Goblin?  I do now

It's still kinda nice though actually.  I do feel better.

Edit:  Uggh I pissed him off with a fan theory, great.  I apologized, I didn't mean to, but whatever.  Whole thing is so hard to follow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:47:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: September 22, 2018, 08:59:17 am »

I knew that

There's also two separate Hobgoblins (Green goblin counts as not separate because legacy and father/son) and a Jack O'lantern who is a guy with a pumpkin on his head who stole green goblin tech.

Also does Ned already being in the Avengers movie universe mean that dince they changed him to be Parker's best friend will become the Hobgoblin? Which will mean that they will repeat the my-best-friend-is-the-Green Goblin arc, except with the wrong goblin? This upsets me a little.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: September 22, 2018, 09:07:47 am »

There's been actually 5 or 6 different green goblins at this point.
PLOT TWIST! The green goblin in the movies is going to be Bart Hamilton, a psychiatrist who learned where all the goblin tech and about spider-man's identity by hypnotizing Harry Osborn.
Ned Leeds is gonna get murdered in Germany and come back as a clone.

100$% REAL SUPER PERFECT LEAKS
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: September 22, 2018, 09:08:05 am »

There's also the movie "Hobgoblins", but I'm not sure that counts as MCU. Definitely watch Hobgoblins however.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: September 22, 2018, 07:05:56 pm »

If it's any consolation, those things totally break my mind too.

Good excuse to remove any sort of infinity from dice games, to be honest. :V

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4464 on: September 22, 2018, 07:15:47 pm »

But I want to know the average between 1 and infinity ! Explosive dice are a fantastic mechanism in some pen and paper rpgs, but because game designers don't understand more than I do about statistics, they come up extremely unbalanced. I want to understand because I want to fix a broken system I like, and removing the explosive dice is like...well removing the cornerstone of the system

I'll reread UG's explanation with more attention and try to understand better. My problem with maths is, I have a big hard time looking at things in the abstract, but once numbers define something I can visualize, it tends to get better.

I feel like I'm operating surgery with a sledgehammer...but the important thing is, it need to work in the end

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: September 22, 2018, 07:22:28 pm »

I'm a bit surprised that you think exploding dice are extremely unbalanced, the average effect of an exploding dice is very small, for bigger dice it's basically negligible. For most rpgs exploding dice mean you sometimes have a pretty spectacular round where something goes really right or really wrong, but on balance they don't really cause much that you need to be worried about. What rpg are you talking about? I'd be interested in how they have such a big presence.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4466 on: September 22, 2018, 07:37:43 pm »

For the system, I've been working part time fixing the houserules for a fan version of Advanced Heroquest. And like everything based on warhammer universe, it throws a lot of dices, and in this peculiar instance everything explodes. And as the game automates the GM, fairness is a very big issue to me.

But you'll also find an instance of explosive dices in L5R. That system however would be a practical nightmare to figure out, and I don't think the authors were math geniuses. If you want extreme unbalance (but well, that's a fun game until your character is one shot by a random goblin) you can try this one

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: September 22, 2018, 07:39:24 pm »

The mathematical average of 1 and infinity is... infinity. Hmmm...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4468 on: September 22, 2018, 07:41:53 pm »

For x= infinity

x = 1/2x
2x = x which is true only for 1

Infinity equals 1. So the average between 1 and infinity is 1

Even within the context of a joke this is stupid. I cannot into math. I'm out to commit sudoku
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:43:40 pm by Cathar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: September 22, 2018, 07:43:10 pm »

I think it's just a system using d6 where a 6 makes you roll again and add the result?
This means that 5/6 of the time, you get something normal for a d6. ~1/6 of the time, you get something between 7 and 11, which might be a lot of not really, depending on your system. ~1/36 of the time you'll explode twice, getting anywhere from 13 to 17. ~1/216 of the time you'll get something even bigger.

So most rolls will be 1-5, you'll regularly get things in the range of 7-11, and you'll get 13-17 maybe once per session... depends just how roll-heavy the game is. If you play the game long enough and you'll eventually see a 19 or higher, but something that rare is honestly not much of a balance issue.

It may be a better idea not to focus on what the average roll will be, and more on what specific outcomes are possible when you roll the dice, and how much of the reality pie each one takes up. For example, in this system it's worth considering that you will NEVER EVER get a 6. That's something you can't know just by looking at the average.

In fact, I find it helpful to play with this thing a little: https://anydice.com/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:47:51 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 792