Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: Gender quotas  (Read 36594 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Gender quotas
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2016, 06:21:32 am »

It seems like you do though as you don't think any woman could possibly pull someone from a burning building? Your last two paragraphs don't maintain internal consistency.
His source has fire brigade literally lowering their standard so much that even after women failed that lowered standard they let em on board

So if there's any consolation for the peeps who get roasted like a checki nandos

WE WAS TOLERANCE

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2016, 07:03:14 am »

It seems like you do though as you don't think any woman could possibly pull someone from a burning building? Your last two paragraphs don't maintain internal consistency.
His source has fire brigade literally lowering their standard so much that even after women failed that lowered standard they let em on board

So if there's any consolation for the peeps who get roasted like a checki nandos

WE WAS TOLERANCE

Loud, we should get gay married.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2016, 07:29:27 am »

So, is there anything more interesting in this thread, or is it simply more of nullBolt looking up stupid feminists so he can make a show of disagreeing with them?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:42 am »

As per usual, I'm too late to the thread to make any meaningful contributions, but damn, I thought the whole female-dominated Human Resources thing was mostly a weird impression I had of things, and not something common to most of western society. Seriously, pretty much everyone I know who works in HR is a woman, including my sister. Did I mention that pretty much all of her coworkers are also women?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2016, 08:21:43 am »

So, is there anything more interesting in this thread, or is it simply more of nullBolt looking up stupid feminists so he can make a show of disagreeing with them?

To me that's interesting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, though, I've done everything to keep the thread towards the point that started it. The firefighters thing is the best example of what happens when a quota goes horribly, horribly wrong. In most parts of society, it likely won't have as severe repercussions but I can think of a few areas where having unqualified or incompetent staff on board could lead to global repercussions, and those places will also suffer from quotas.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2016, 08:45:48 am »

Except you're arguing against a position no one is really defending.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:19 am »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-25/women-don-t-want-promotions-as-much-as-men-do

This one is pretty interesting:

In one of the studies, conducted on 650 recent MBA graduates, researchers had participants rank their current position in their industry, their ideal position, and the highest position they could realistically attain. Women had no doubt they could “realistically attain” the same level of success as men, but they listed lower ideal positions.

One explanation for why power stresses women out: They have less time in which to attain a greater number of goals. In another of the nine studies, researchers asked about 800 working adults to rank their goals, defined as “things that occupy your thoughts on a routine basis, things that you deeply care about, or things that motivate your behavior and decisions.” The women surveyed not only listed more goals, but a smaller proportion of those goals were related to achieving power.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:32:23 am by Reelya »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:51 am »

I am really tired of hearing this crock of garbage that keeps getting tossed around because it sounds good, because it's a lie that a simple google search could fix.

Yeah, like others are saying, you totally missed the point.

The entire situation this thread is portraying as a problem simply doesn't need to exist.

Analogy time

5 men and 5 women attend a party. At this party, there is one pie. The pie is cut into 8 slices. 5 men get a slice of pie, and only 3 women get a slice of pie.

"Oh, noes!" cries one of the women without pie. "This is unfair! For far more men received pie than did women! More women now suffer for lack of pie than men! The distribution of pie for both haves and have-nots is wholly unequal and unfair!"

"That's right," one of the men happily munching on delicious pie states. "In fact the ratios are skewed 30% vs 50%. That's not a 20% difference, that's a two thirds difference. 66% more men than women received pie. That's completely unfair and we should definitely do something about it."

"Shut up you misogynist pig!" she retorts. "You're perpetuating the problem and engaging in extreme gender stereotyping!"

"Wait, what?" he replies, confused. "I'm agreeing with you."

"You are a man and you're doing math!" she screeches. "The implication is that men are better at math you womyn-hating piece of trash!"

"Umm, well sorry," he apologizes. "I was just trying to help. I can't help it if I'm a man. LordBucket wrote this example, not me."

"Exactly! You have example privilege," she continues. "You have a fundamental privilege so utterly built into the system that you don't even perceive it."

"Ok, ok..." somebody interjects. "What are we going to do about this?"

At this point, quotas are proposed. There are 8 slices of pie. So, give 4 to men, and 4 to women. They'll just take a slice of pie from one of the men and give it to one of the women. Problem solved, right?

"But wait," one of the men with pie objects. "How do we determine which man to take pie away from? It's cherry, and cherry is my favorite. I don't really want to give it up."

"Why are we having this conversation?" one of the women without pie asks. "I don't even like pie."

"Well, I do!" the other women without pie replies. "And cherry is also my favorite. Don't go spoiling it for me just because you don't care!"

"It's the principal!" one of the women with a slightly larger than average slice of pie shouts. "You are so oppressed you don't even realize it! Take the pie from man, sister! It is your right!"

"Yeah!" people of both genders shout. "Let's make this right!"

And so, they take away a slice of pie from one of the men and ask the two women who didn't get pie to get in line. Unfortunately the women who really wanted it because cherry is her favorite, is fat, and therefore much slower than the other woman. So the fastest, most capable, of the women to get in line received the pie rather than the one who most wanted it.

"But wait," the man who had pie taken from him objects. "You gave my slice of pie to the woman who was faster to get in line instead of the woman who really wanted it. But I was the first in line out of everybody. I was waiting for pie while all the rest of you were still sitting chatting. How is it fair that I, of all people, should go without pie? I worked for it more than you did."

"But, wait," somebody points out. "There are two children at this party. Surely they we should make sure that they receive pie before anybody else, regardless of gender?"

"What?!!?!?" someone else responds, "are you openly encouraging discrimination??!!? I am so triggered right now!!!!"

"This is all completely unfair!" the fat women too slow to receive the slice whines. "I wanted that pie so much! I NEED that pie! What good does it do to try to enforce fairness if the people who really need it don't even benefit? You already took pie from one of the men. Take pie from another man and give it to me!"

"What if we cut the slices smaller so that everybody gets one?"

"I already said I don't want pie." the women from before replies. "Somebody can have mine."

"No!" everyone shouts in a panic. "That just makes enforcing equality harder! You take that pie whether you want it or not!"

"I'm still hungry," the fat woman cries to herself.

Do any of these arguments sound familiar?

Is the solution here to create "quotas?" At the next party shall they come up with some sort of complicated system of distribution and turn away people who want pie but don't meet those metrics?

Even if you do that, does it solve this alleged problem of "inequality?" No, not really. So 4 men get pie and 4 women get pie. Ok, but what if of those 8 people, 5 are white 2 are asian and 1 is black...and one of the two people who didn't get pie are black? So you now have equal distribution of pie by gender, but a disproportionate number of whites and asians are receiving pie.

So how do you fix that? Do you come up with new quotas? Do you punish the people handing out pie if they don't turn away people in line for pie who don't happen to match demographic distributions? What if they can't? What if the actual ratios of people don't allow even distribution? Let's say there are only 3 women at the party and 7 men? Do you give out only 6 slices, 3 to men 3 to women and then throw out the other two to enforce equal distribution?

For that matter, how do you even decide which metrics to use? Why does anyone care if men or women receive equal amounts of pie? What's so special about gender? What if at the next party somebody points out that only 2 people with blonde hair received pie, while 4 brunettes received pie. Is that unfair? Is that a horrible injustice in need of correcting?

...no. The whole thing is ridiculous. You don't solve a ridiculous situation by adding more ridiculousness to it.

The solution is completely obvious: make more pie, and stop worrying about all this nonsense. Make enough pie for everybody, and if somebody gets two slices because they wanted two and somebody else gets none because they didn't want any, that's fine and nobody cares.

Inequality is irrelevant. Even distribution by arbitrary metrics like race or gender or hair color is irrelevant. Satisfying everyone's wants is a far more desirable result, and you don't accomplish that by changing how you distribute insufficient pie.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2016, 09:56:00 am »

Oh, gosh, I'm totally convinced by that analogy that wasn't contrived to prove your point. Oh could I not see that if we assume there is no problem, there is no problem?

Also, I might be turning into mainiac.

More to the point, I don't think discussing quota in the abstract is useful, because, well, it depends on the specifics of the situation so much. There are plenty of areas where gender quotas aren't needed. I think everyone here agree that they are, at best, a necessary evil.

A more interesting questions is: given a situation where there is a clear discrimination (And they exists. Just picture the situation in some arabs countries for example), can quotas help? Are they better ways to fight discrimination? Do quotas helps fight peoples' prejudice in the long run, or do they reinforce them?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:04:43 am by Sheb »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:10 am »

Make more pie!

I think in the long run they might reinforce prejudice. Some men, not all, who would get glanced over because the employers need to meet the women minimum, could harbor resentment and discrimination when there was previously none.

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:56 am »

Oh, gosh, I'm totally convinced by that analogy that wasn't contrived to prove your point. Oh could I not see that if we assume there is no problem, there is no problem?

Well, I'm glad I've convinced you. Yay! :)

given a situation where there is a clear discrimination (And they exist

Certainly discrimination exists.

Look in the pie example, when the two women lined up, the faster one received pie. Discrimination based on capability. Or look at when somebody proposed that the children receive pie before anybody else. Discrimination based on demographic. Or imagine that the person cutting the pie deliberately cuts a larger slice for somebody. That's the scenario you appear to be most concerned about. Sure, that happens too.

All of those scenarios are irrelevant if you can simply get more pie, because there's more pie.

Just picture the situation in some arabs countries for example), can quotas help? Are they better ways to fight discrimination? Do quotas helps fight peoples' prejudice in the long run, or do they reinforce them?

Why do you want to fight discrimination? Why do you want to fight prejudice?

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to have the amount of pie that they want?

Make more pie!

Yep!

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 18, 2016, 10:17:45 am »

Make more pie!

How dare you imply people should make their own pie?!

I bet you're just a crustist.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2016, 10:26:45 am »

Well, because you can't make infinite pie. What if the pie is political power or representation? What make you think we're going to be making more pire, or that we can?

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:41 am »

Well, because you can't make infinite pie. What if the pie is political power or representation? What make you think we're going to be making more pire, or that we can?

You can contribute to creating a pie and, in doing so, claim of it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:49 am »

So basically, you are standing with Lordbucket in claiming that we should just not give a crap about equality at all? Because unless I misunderstand him, that's what he is saying.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29