Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Gender quotas  (Read 36631 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Gender quotas
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »

Well, if you seriously wanted to obscure the other two, you'd need to do that anyway. I mean, Mary Worthington-Smythe is unlikely to turn out to be a Brazilian male. Plus, obscuring the personal details that way would allow you to quote The Prisoner at every job interview.
I just clocked this is not a very workable system

Though I must admit I am quite enthralled by the notion of voting for a politician I haven't seen, heard or even know their identity, we shadow governments now
I suppose the novelty would wear off after you couldn't figure out if every single MP wasn't in fact the same person

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:02 pm »

if every single MP wasn't in fact the same person

One man, one vote.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:45 pm »

Holy shit my posts would actually improve the quality of the thread
As I said, what er need to do is obscure race and sex. That's the only way to prevent hiring and promotion decisions from being based on race.
Don't forget names, you can usually tell someone's background roughly based on name alone. Certain names for example are council flat, others are public school, others are big bank cheese e.t.c.
Well, if you seriously wanted to obscure the other two, you'd need to do that anyway. I mean, Mary Worthington-Smythe is unlikely to turn out to be a Brazilian male. Plus, obscuring the personal details that way would allow you to quote The Prisoner at every job interview.

"You are Number Six"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2016, 09:11:45 pm »

Everyone here is arguing about whether or not there's gender discrimination in the workplace, but... in this context that isn't actually my main concern. Even if there is tangible and quantifiable discrimination in the workplace, something I don't have much interest in arguing either way, I don't support a quota system, because I quite simply don't think the ends justify the means here.

Quotas mean, by their very definition, that gender MUST be considered on an application over other factors, legally. One can sort by merit, and find that they've messed up the required balance and have to specifically change their hiring to be suitable for the quota, but the opposite isn't the case; focusing on what actually makes a person suitable for a job is potentially restricted, hiring someone instead based on their gender is not, and may in fact be required. This isn't acceptable to me. Countering discrimination with further discrimination does NOT make a non-discriminatory atmosphere, just one where two discriminations are battling it out, and I'm one of those equality-of-opportunity-under-the-government guys:  I think that if we ever want a really equal society, the lawbook shouldn't be arbitrating on matters of race and gender. It's wrong when laws specifically hold women down -- it doesn't become any more right because the target is shifted.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »

So how much discrimination would it take for you to consider it too much to ignore?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2016, 11:12:36 pm »

Entirely determinate by the percentile equivalent that's it drags my attractiveness as a candidate down. As long as I'm not dropping more than 10ish points due to gender, it's all good.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2016, 11:33:33 pm »

The stratification effect is the biggest argument against quotas, at least for anything where there's ability involved. Quotas cause the selected pool of applicants to form into two groups, with a gap between them based on whatever sorting metric you originally used to grade applicants. This can backfire big time when you're trying to show that "anyone can do it" - you reinforce the idea that the group you "helped" are under-performers.

But stratification is only a serious issue when the number of swapped applicants is large: "large preferences" in the language of Affirmative Action, so it's safe enough to have "small preferences" (i.e. a relatively small number of people added due to the quota isn't going to cause significant stratification).

But if were only after a pretty weak quota, to avoid issues such as stratification, then we might as well just enforce more objective decision-making in the first place rather than worry about the quota.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:43:21 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2016, 11:42:15 pm »

Entirely determinate by the percentile equivalent that's it drags my attractiveness as a candidate down. As long as I'm not dropping more than 10ish points due to gender, it's all good.

Sounds legit.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2016, 11:55:30 pm »

Sounds legit.
It's a fair point. Trying to root out bias of all kinds Inquisition-style is kinda doomed to failure. If bias is there, but it's not significantly affecting how likely you are to be hired (which might as well be 5-10% like Strife said), then who cares?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2016, 08:21:00 am »

Uh, everyone who it is significantly affecting how likely they are to be hired? Anyone in a society where that imbalance is (at least perceived as) having a net deleterious effect for everyone, or at least more people than it's benefiting? Buncha' other folks, buncha' other reasons?

S'also worth noting that 5-10% on a societal scale is... not small. That'd be 15-30 million people in the US, if it's an ubiquitous effect (which it usually isn't, really, but still), around half that if it just effected the workforce. For comparison, OW, a universal 5% bias in the US workforce would effect just shy of two New Zealands. As in the entire country's population, a bit less than twice over. Stuff like that is why people care about small discrepancies, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2016, 08:44:37 am »

So how much discrimination would it take for you to consider it too much to ignore?

I would first like to see the numbers about how many new appointees in the discussed fields are currently male/female.

edit: I finally found these numbers referenced in a newspaper, albeit without source. Apparently respectively 31.5 and 28.5 % of new appointees in the positions covered by the quota were female in the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:57:20 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2016, 09:32:10 am »

edit: I finally found these numbers referenced in a newspaper, albeit without source. Apparently respectively 31.5 and 28.5 % of new appointees in the positions covered by the quota were female in the last 2 years.

So if the numbers are correct, the quota (30%) will achieve nothing other then causing bad feelings among people who don't like a quota system? I mean you've already got around 30% coming in without it.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:10 am »

So if the numbers are correct, the quota (30%) will achieve nothing other then causing bad feelings among people who don't like a quota system? I mean you've already got around 30% coming in without it.

It means that next year the government can point to it and say, "Look, the quota worked! We're an effective feminist government! Vote for us!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2016, 10:08:15 am »

If 30% of hires are female already then a "30%" quota isn't going to do anything, but it will do something: sexist people can now claim that the 30% of women who are there "only got in because of the quota". And many people will actually believe that without evidence. Hell, since the government will be keen to say their quota worked, they might even promote this half-truth themselves, in a good intentioned way, but still damaging to the professional credibility of the existing women in the field.

Even within the boardroom, you need to respect privacy of the hiring process, so you can't actually tell people whether they got in via quota or merit. But that is a double-edged sword as women now cannot prove that they got in on merit, and not part of the quota. The quota infantilizes women who got there on their own and gives potential ammunition to their critics. Hell, because you tick-off your "woman quota" starting from the most-talented woman in the room, the accusation of being just part of a quota could stick to even the most outstanding women.

So it could create a false impression that women didn't earn their place. And the more subjective the process is, the more damaging that can be. Let's say that the proportion of women hired would have naturally risen to 50% in the long run, but you have a 30% quota. Now, the 30% of women get suspicion of being "quota babies", and there is a push-back against mentoring additional women because "we already have our quota". A similar thing has happened in the past with black teacher quotas.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:15:59 am by Reelya »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »

Okay, so let's transition this topic to proposals about what will actually work as an effective measure, as there don't seem to be many proposed fixes that don't include quotas.

Personally, I am for publicly shaming any company without at least 30% women in top roles, legislating that they have to include an image of poop somewhere in their logo until they meet this criteria.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29