Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006672 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11370 on: January 16, 2022, 06:20:01 pm »

Ukraine's President Zelensky announced he would arrest former President Poroshenko on account of treason.  Poroshenko fled to Europe afterwards, but now has announced he intends to return to Ukraine. He called on his supporters to croud out the airport in which he is arriving back and stop police from arresting him. Now whole buses of people from around the country are travelling to the airport; police are stopping some of those buses. Some of the people on one bus have appeared on a national news program.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: January 18, 2022, 09:58:51 am »

News has leaked that the highest chief of the Danish Foreign Intelligence Service has been arrested last month, and has been imprisoned ever since. His arrest was supposed to be <state secret>. He is accused of <state secret>,  on basis of <state secret> by the Domestic Intelligence Service. (So basically what happened is the Danish version of the FBI imprisoned and is interrogating the director of the Danish version of the CIA)

Danish newspaper Politiken comments: 'Either Denmark is destroying it's own FI services by sueing it's high director on unfounded accusations, or, our country has a chief of spies that has endangered the kingdom.
Both options are, mildly formulated, terrifying and damaging to Denmark'.

Something is rotten in the kingdom of Denmark..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:00:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: January 18, 2022, 12:12:16 pm »

Ukraine's President Zelensky announced he would arrest former President Poroshenko on account of treason.  Poroshenko fled to Europe afterwards, but now has announced he intends to return to Ukraine. He called on his supporters to croud out the airport in which he is arriving back and stop police from arresting him. Now whole buses of people from around the country are travelling to the airport; police are stopping some of those buses. Some of the people on one bus have appeared on a national news program.

Well, Zelensky is a stupid Trump-like kind of a politician but he isn't THIS stupid to announce something like this officially. And this bus-stopping stuff isn't really something major. But yeah, it seems to be his priority when The Russian Army is at the border and a huge escalation in the war is very likely.

At least, it is entertaining to watch.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: January 18, 2022, 03:43:39 pm »

In what way is Zelensky Trump-like?

Also, isn’t Poroshenko hugely pro-Russian?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: January 18, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »

Neither is hugely pro-Russian. Both their blocs are quite corrupt however. Poroshenko was found to be taking money from the military and other misdeeds.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: January 19, 2022, 03:03:19 am »

*visible confusion*

No. Nothing in Poroshenko is pro-Russian. He is as anti-Russian as a politician of his caliber can get.

Well, there are conspiracy theories but those are exactly that.

As for Zelensky being Trump-like. He is also a power-hungry populist with zero actual political experience and

Neither is hugely pro-Russian. Both their blocs are quite corrupt however. Poroshenko was found to be taking money from the military and other misdeeds.

Citation needed
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: January 23, 2022, 01:26:28 pm »

The polls have closed for the wellbeing services county elections (why not welfare district elections or welfare county elections?!) in Finland. Completely new thing here that overhauls the administration of welfare services (healthcare, social, etc.)

Early counts suggest an even split between the National Coalition Party, Social Democratic Party, and the Center Party.

Looking rather centric overall. Why, I have no idea. Here's hoping the counts swing leftward, given the previous rightwing government's blatant attempt to privatize our welfare.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: January 23, 2022, 02:47:34 pm »

The US and Germany are evacuating their embassy staff from Kiev out of fear for war breaking out.

Lots of EU countries are sending defensive weapons to Ukraine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: January 23, 2022, 04:12:12 pm »

The US and Germany are evacuating their embassy staff from Kiev out of fear for war breaking out.

Lots of EU countries are sending defensive weapons to Ukraine.

And Germany banned Estonia from supplying some old formerly Eastern German howitzers to Ukraine

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11380 on: January 23, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »

Something is rotten in the kingdom of Denmark..
That is both really cool and really terrible

Cool because I love stories of interservice rivalry. Terrible because it's irl

And Germany banned Estonia from supplying some old formerly Eastern German howitzers to Ukraine
Germany's in a bit of a bind. They can be a toothless rag to keep suckling on the teat of Russia's natural gas, or they can start having a military foreign policy and reawaken the "oh fuck the Germans are back" question

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: January 23, 2022, 06:49:43 pm »

Update from the wellbeing services county elections: Nationally, it seems to be a right-of-centre victory overall. The Center Party is the biggest party in most counties (notably rural north), while counties with major cities appear to have National Coalition Party or Swedish People's Party as the biggest party. Turnout is 47.5%.

My county appears to be dead center. Center Party and Movement.Now will be kingmakers, unless Swedish People's Party decides to switch sides.

Finns, I am disappoint.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: January 23, 2022, 11:20:45 pm »

Germany's in a bit of a bind. They can be a toothless rag to keep suckling on the teat of Russia's natural gas, or they can start having a military foreign policy and reawaken the "oh fuck the Germans are back" question

I can say you one thing. Germany managed to achieve a status of an ally of Russia in minds of Ukrainians.

I guess good it's for them because it will significantly reduce the number of refugees going there after Ukraine will go full Syria.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11383 on: January 24, 2022, 07:13:57 am »

I can say you one thing. Germany managed to achieve a status of an ally of Russia in minds of Ukrainians.

I guess good it's for them because it will significantly reduce the number of refugees going there after Ukraine will go full Syria.
It's one thing to be neutral but if the Germans actively blocking other NATO allies from giving military aid to Ukraine, this is highly sus. They say it's because they don't sell weapons to places where there's "tension" but sell weapons to Egypt, Israel, UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, which of course are famous for no tension

It definitely seems like some backchannel deal has been made

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: January 24, 2022, 09:09:22 am »

It doesnt even need to be a backchannel deal, though there certainly could be one. Central Europe is utterly dependent on Russian gas, especially and obviously in winter, and especially this year with a huge energy crisis and with alternative gas sources having their own international ruckus going on (see: the crisis between Morocco and Algeria).

There doesn't need to be a literal deal, they just need to be terrified of a potential gas embargo to act as if there was one.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 793