Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1058765 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5115 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:12 pm »

Hey, I was just explaining to smjjames why you didn't post the link to the source. I'd rather discuss the state too, which is why I dug up the origin and linked to it (but the only thing I've been able to ascertain is that AOW refers to pension age).

But for the record, if you HAD found that on CNN, they'd probably have given you the background you want.  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:04 pm »

Hey, I was just explaining to smjjames why you didn't post the link to the source. I'd rather discuss the state too, which is why I dug up the origin and linked to it (but the only thing I've been able to ascertain is that AOW refers to pension age).

But for the record, if you HAD found that on CNN, they'd probably have given you the background you want.  :P

I thought you were also criticising Covenant, but anyway, MOVING ON.

As I said earlier, we'd have to look at the specifics of how the CBS got their data. The link that Antioch posted is just a descripion of what happened between two different years and the only description of the why is this bit at the end (english translation off of google:
"Individuals with a non-western background are often dependent on the assistance than those with a Dutch background. For various reasons it is more difficult for them to find work and keep . Thus, they often build fewer years of service at an employer, making them move more of unemployment benefits to help."

Though from the graph, it looks like it's a systemic problem that's been happening for decades and not something that started happening in like, the last decade.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:09:57 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:50 pm »

Does it refers to the same thing? It's not clear that the pics of Covenant refers to the same people as the one in the CBS stats. Are those foreigners or just dutch of non-western decent?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: March 12, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »

Yeah, who need background, The_Donald contains the whole truth.  ::)  Myself, I'm like you, I never trust the mainstream media, they might not agree with me! Imagine the horror!

Sure, the number are real, but it's not even clear what they refers to for exemple. I don't think they're immigrants at all, but rather Dutch descending from non-western immigrants for exemple. It's also not clear what part of the welfare state this refers to. It doesn't include stuff like unemployment benefits where non-western allochtone accounts for something aotal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: March 12, 2017, 05:38:14 pm »

Yeah, for this kind of thing, you have to be specific of what exactly you're measuring because even if you're looking at the exact same subject, immigrants on welfare in this case, changing even one parameter, like what part of the welfare state or even legal vs illegal can make it look completely different. Also, the one Antioch posted is of a specific subset of immigrants and not immigrants as a whole.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: March 12, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »

What do you mean "reticent about the state of EU politics"? Schultz is awesome, Macron is great, Wilders is a cunt, but his chance of getting into government are minimal (he probable doesn't want it, his kind fare better fromt he opposition. We've seen that with the NVA in Belgium for exemple).

It's quite galling that you blame me for not wanting to discuss stuff when I actually went to try to make head or tail of the data and put them in what context I could figure.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:55:45 pm by Sheb »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: March 12, 2017, 06:46:32 pm »

More like a wake-up call I'd say. With luck the stuff that came as tragedy in the 30's will only repeat itself as a (short) farce and won't last.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: March 12, 2017, 06:56:26 pm »

There's a few similarities with the 30's, yes, notably the Nationalism and populism, but that's pretty much the only similariry there are far more differences than similarities. There wasn't any kind of immigration crisis in the 1930's I don't believe, for one, other than the run-up to WWII that is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:02:55 pm by smjjames »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: March 12, 2017, 07:03:02 pm »

There's a few similarities with the 30's, yes, notably the Nationalism and populism, but that's pretty much the only similarity there are far more differences than similarities. There wasn't any kind of immigration crisis in the 1930's I don't believe, for one.

There was strong dislike for certain ethnicities that happened to be living in Europe, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: March 12, 2017, 07:03:52 pm »

Sure there was. All the damn Jews were trying to get into the US! Luckily you managed to stop them, at least to a degree.

Also for some reason the German biological clock went haywire, and they started migrating to the East for winter...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: March 13, 2017, 02:17:39 am »

There's a few similarities with the 30's, yes, notably the Nationalism and populism, but that's pretty much the only similariry there are far more differences than similarities. There wasn't any kind of immigration crisis in the 1930's I don't believe, for one, other than the run-up to WWII that is.

Well, in much of Europe we had ethnic minorities a plenty and not just Jews, even though they were usually not "recent" (aka less than a century) arrival. Central and Eastern Europe was a mish mash of Jews, Germans, Poles, Czech and Slovaks, Hungarians, Romanians, Ukrainians etc etc. German were the most ruthless and murderous, but they were far from alone. Ukrainian partisans massacred poles, Czech violently cleansed Germans out after the war, etc etc.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: March 13, 2017, 08:01:04 am »

Seems Wilder's PVV is largely financed by Americans. How is that legal?

Because it wasn't made illegal? Marine LePen is being financed by Russian banks herself. Washington DC would probably pout and go 'why are you locking us out? We wanna meddle.' If you tried to make it illegal. Not that we'd be able to do anything about it anyway.

Bit of a necro, but is this common in Europe? Not having laws against foreign campaign spending in domestic elections?

United Forenia Forever!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:48 am »

Depends on countries I guess. In France, the Le Pen thing was technically a loan, not a donation. In Belgium our campaign finance law are very strict, so it wouldn't fly.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: March 13, 2017, 02:19:53 pm »

Campaign donations of considerable size are frowned upon no matter the source or party in Dutch elections.
The system is quite different from the USA.

Some parties have a system where their politicians agree to turn in a -sometimes very considerable- part of their wage ( like the SP, they are by far the richest party) or have other systems were members pay some form of contribution. There are goverment subsidies too. Total campaign spending in the previous elections was aparently 10.7 million for all parties combined (we have quite a few).

Can't find much about the PVV but Wilders makes it a point not to accept any members to his party exept for himself, because, ehm because you can't trust anyone but yourself. That, and sharing power is difficult too. That means that he is completely dependent on outside donations. His finances are likely not that different in size from other parties, but it's hard to find anything specific.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: March 13, 2017, 02:55:03 pm »

Doesn't the PVV already have like 20 seats in Dutch Parliament though?
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 795