Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006693 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4065 on: November 22, 2016, 05:27:50 am »

So basically Europe doesn't think America is powerful anymore, so they want Russian overlords?
Russia has an economy the size of Italy, or at least, that's what I've heard, so I don't know exactly how would Russia be "overlording" over Europe, which has, what, five times the population and even more of that in terms of financial and industrial advantages?

I'm genuinely curious about it, because I thought that economy was the deciding factor in these sort of power games... but apparently, it's not?
I did not say that. Thank you for reminding me about the wisdom of avoiding the shitpost.

Perceived strength is more important than actual strength.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:55 am »

Wasnt wilders in a position of power and how would you call his movement if not fascistoid or alt right?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: November 22, 2016, 05:33:36 am »

Nope, technically Wilders was never in a position of power, his party has never been in government coalition, always in opposition. Although, like I said, there was one government coalition that relied on Wilders' opposition party giving support to it's plans to achieve majority. What I meant with a 'coalition endorsing opposition party'. Which didn't last long, as that government fell and we had new elections (in which Wilders' party lost a huge amount of votes and went back to being a marginal party for a while. It's been trending up again since the refugee crisis and Paris attacks).

And yes, his movement is populist alt right. I never said it wasn't.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:38:33 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:12 am »

I am glad your beautiful country has not succumbed to the forces of wilders.
Thx for clearing that up for me

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: November 22, 2016, 09:34:13 am »

'Succumbed to the forces of wilders', christ.

Meanwhile we have Merkel going for a fourth term, ready to flip-flop for the third time about multiculturalism being the best thing since sliced bread.

Given that multiculturalism is so ill-defined a term, that's not surprising.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: November 22, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

Major political developments in France:
New favourite to become French President, Francois Fillon, wants to drag Russia back into the European fold. Stop it sliding towards Asia
Francois Fillon, set to pull off stunning upset in French conservative primary tonight, favored fighting ISIL alongside Russia, Iran, Assad
Seems like all that Le Pen's Russian support was just a strategic ruse, deflecting all attention from real Putin's candidate.

Is this how the end of Euro-Atlanticism looks like?

EDIT: Apparently, there's also this:
Quote from: Internet
From Fillion's site using Google Translate:
4. A sovereign trade policy that protects our interests
- Reject European decisions going against the economic interests of France as the sanctions against Russia that seriously affect our businesses.

- Propose a new EU / Russia trade partnership that would offer our businesses new opportunities.
So much for "annexation of Crimea will forever alienate Russia from Europe".
So basically Europe doesn't think America is powerful anymore, so they want Russian overlords?

It's more that the liberal world order that's been in place since the end of WWII is cracking, for pretty much the same reason all over the place.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: November 22, 2016, 01:25:46 pm »

Major political developments in France:
New favourite to become French President, Francois Fillon, wants to drag Russia back into the European fold. Stop it sliding towards Asia
Francois Fillon, set to pull off stunning upset in French conservative primary tonight, favored fighting ISIL alongside Russia, Iran, Assad
Seems like all that Le Pen's Russian support was just a strategic ruse, deflecting all attention from real Putin's candidate.

Is this how the end of Euro-Atlanticism looks like?

EDIT: Apparently, there's also this:
Quote from: Internet
From Fillion's site using Google Translate:
4. A sovereign trade policy that protects our interests
- Reject European decisions going against the economic interests of France as the sanctions against Russia that seriously affect our businesses.

- Propose a new EU / Russia trade partnership that would offer our businesses new opportunities.
So much for "annexation of Crimea will forever alienate Russia from Europe".

It's more that the liberal world order that's been in place since the end of WWII is cracking, for pretty much the same reason all over the place.

Nonshitpost: because it isn't based on liberalism in the first place?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: November 22, 2016, 03:54:36 pm »

UK seems to be going full Big Brother mode:

The fact that you’re on this website is – potentially – state knowledge. Service providers must now store details of everything you do online for 12 months – and make it accessible to dozens of public authorities

Under the guise of counter-terrorism, the British state has achieved totalitarian-style surveillance powers – the most intrusive system of any democracy in history. It now has the ability to indiscriminately hack, intercept, record, and monitor the communications and internet use of the entire population.
I mean, British government was already kind of creepy, with CCTV cameras everywhere in London, but this is on a whole another level of what-the-fuck shit that is supposed to be reserved for fictional cyberpunk dictators only.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: November 22, 2016, 03:59:41 pm »

I forget if the Independent is one of those tabloidish British newspapers. I know the Daily Mail is, but not sure what others.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: November 22, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »

It sort of is, there's not a lot of good newspapers left in the UK, but I think it's meant to be one of somewhat better ones in that regard.

The news doesn't surprise me though, the Conservatives have never exactly been pro-internet freedoms.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4077 on: November 22, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »

It sort of is, there's not a lot of good newspapers left in the UK, but I think it's meant to be one of somewhat better ones in that regard.

The news doesn't surprise me though, the Conservatives have never exactly been pro-internet freedoms.
The Guardian, the Times, FT, and the magazines are the dankest newspapers left in the UK (not counting local newspapers, just because I can't say I know them all at all). Print media is becoming second place to digital media, where stuff like the magazines that can cater to a smaller but reliable subscription base readership can stay afloat whilst newspapers sort of dwindle in significance

The Independent was one of the best newspapers in the world (not being sarcastic) until they recently got bought out and "modernized", becoming another buzzfeed. Needless to say its quality declined precipitously in favour of being partisan, hip, edgy and cool

Russia has an economy the size of Italy, or at least, that's what I've heard, so I don't know exactly how would Russia be "overlording" over Europe, which has, what, five times the population and even more of that in terms of financial and industrial advantages?
I'm genuinely curious about it, because I thought that economy was the deciding factor in these sort of power games... but apparently, it's not?
Money isn't power, power is power
It's also unsurprising that money isn't the deciding factor on the international scale, since on the national scale people are saying money is secondary these days to stuff

whole lot of stuff

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:28 pm »

The Guardian, the Times, FT, and the magazines are the dankest newspapers left in the UK (not counting local newspapers, just because I can't say I know them all at all). Print media is becoming second place to digital media, where stuff like the magazines that can cater to a smaller but reliable subscription base readership can stay afloat whilst newspapers sort of dwindle in significance

The Independent was one of the best newspapers in the world (not being sarcastic) until they recently got bought out and "modernized", becoming another buzzfeed. Needless to say its quality declined precipitously in favour of being partisan, hip, edgy and cool

Money isn't power, power is power
It's also unsurprising that money isn't the deciding factor on the international scale, since on the national scale people are saying money is secondary these days to stuff

whole lot of stuff
Who says money is secondary?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: November 24, 2016, 09:38:56 am »

Nigel Farage is planning on moving to the US, and no, I'm not trolling you guys, honest :) .

Maybe he'll become the US ambassador to Britian, I dunno. lol.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 793