Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006926 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2895 on: July 16, 2016, 04:31:40 am »

Do you have some other definition of the world? When we discuss politics and various isms we better be sure that we are speaking about the same things.
Basically what you said, but a little looser.

Ok, Germany bans Nazism now. Is the BRD a totalitarian state?
A little, I guess? Of course it's not like they've got Though Police roaming around, but preventing people from publicly supporting the ideology is absolutely impinging on the idea of free speech.
That said, it is also completely justified (because Nazism), and UR, if you'd said "ban Sharia law" I would be inclined to agree.
But Islam is not Sharia, and on its own it's only kinda crappy compared to other religions. If someone said to ban Christianity because Biblical law is barbaric and totalitarian, I would be similarly concerned.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: July 16, 2016, 04:40:06 am »

Yeah, I think UR is using some kind of "No True Muslim" argument, since he said earlier than a lot of people who identify as muslims aren't muslim.

Still, the concept of a state being "a bit totalitarian" is ridiculous.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2897 on: July 16, 2016, 04:58:01 am »

Does it have to be black and white totalitarian/nottotalitarian?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: July 16, 2016, 05:20:19 am »

Is it totalitarian to ban totalitarianism?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: July 16, 2016, 05:37:13 am »

So the Turkish military coup has officially failed. More than 190 killed, over 1000 injured, and 1500 arrested. There are videos where army using tanks ignored civilian and drive directly over them. Some opened fire on civilians that were marching toward them to disarm the military. Big part of military was still loyal to Erdogan, and also he used civilians to get out on streets and protest/encircle and try to disarm the rebel military positions. 

It was started by one of replaced generals with support from Fethullah Gulen from Pennsylvania , at least thats what Erdogan is saying. "Erdogan pinned the blame on a Muslim cleric living in the U.S. for starting the attack."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:40:12 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2900 on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:13 am »

So the Turkish military coup has officially failed. More than 190 killed, over 1000 injured, and 1500 arrested. There are videos where army using tanks ignored civilian and drive directly over them. Some opened fire on civilians that were marching toward them to disarm the military. Big part of military was still loyal to Erdogan, and also he used civilians to get out on streets and protest/encircle and try to disarm the rebel military positions. 
That was a shitshow

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: July 16, 2016, 05:48:42 am »

I think this is the first time a military coup in turkey failed, at least for the last 4 or 5 times it happened, not totally sure.
Make love not war

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2902 on: July 16, 2016, 06:18:09 am »

This isin't like the last 4 or 5 times. It was small, disorganized and really shitty coup, so apparently people are suspecting that this was all actually set up by Erdogan to gain more power. I mean, the coup never actually did achieve anything apart from shooting on civilians and driving them over with tanks, there are only 1500 arrested people and so on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:56 am »

Latest news: The Greek army reports that a Turkish navy vessel has just been hijacked at Gölçük naval base. The crew has been taken hostage, and the ship is en route to Greek waters.
There's more than 1500 arrested people. Turkish authorities report 2839 military have been arrested.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:24:46 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2904 on: July 16, 2016, 06:24:36 am »

I hope the Greeks will be allowed to sell it to pay off some debt

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: July 16, 2016, 06:25:29 am »

I hope the Greeks will be allowed to sell it to pay off some debt

<psst, psst, mr Putin. WTB naval vessel with NATO technology?>

Earlier this morning a Turkish army helicopter landed at a Greek base. The crew of 8 people have asked for political asylum. Turkey has asked for their extradition.

Hmm my newspapaer edited the message about the naval vessel. Instead of the crew, they now write that the Turkish commander of fleet has been taken hostage. I wonder what 'commander of fleet' is supposed to mean. They mean the captain of the ship, or the admiral of the Turkish Navy?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:39:34 am by martinuzz »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: July 16, 2016, 07:07:43 am »

Erdo just fired 5 members of the supreme board of judges and prosecutors. https://twitter.com/DailySabah/status/754283343093653504

ISIS is going to love the way things are turning out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: July 16, 2016, 07:14:15 am »

Erdo just fired 5 members of the supreme board of judges and prosecutors. https://twitter.com/DailySabah/status/754283343093653504

5?
Yes, that, plus 2745 judges have been suspended. Looks like Turkey will have no one upholding the law until Erdogan has figured out who he can trust.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:17:29 am by martinuzz »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: July 16, 2016, 07:16:54 am »

5?
Yes, that, plus 2745 judges have been suspended.

Yes. Enter Islamic Turkey.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 793