Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006713 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:36 pm »

Easy. Crusaders are massacring muslims children and women in Syria with their bombing campaigns, you got to avenge them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »

Easy. Crusaders are massacring muslims children and women in Syria with their bombing campaigns, you got to avenge them.
Along with a vaguely logical notion of "if we kill enough of them, they'll leave the Middle East". Despite that not having worked for a very long time now. Unfortunately, the conclusion drawn by extremists is "we just haven't killed hard enough yet" (much like conservatives in the US who, despite losing, think the answer is to double-down on the crazy).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:44 pm »

Worth noting that as far as terrorist attacks go, they are becoming less effective as years pass. Compare the 3000 from 11-S to the 300 to the Madrid bombings a couple of years later, and to the 30something in this one.

I mention this because I think it's important to bear in mind that terrorists are *not* getting stronger, and things are not getting easier for them. These attacks are meant to cause panic. If we keep our cool we defeat their purpose.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »

Worth noting that as far as terrorist attacks go, they are becoming less effective as years pass. Compare the 3000 from 11-S to the 300 to the Madrid bombings a couple of years later, and to the 30something in this one.

I mention this because I think it's important to bear in mind that terrorists are *not* getting stronger, and things are not getting easier for them. These attacks are meant to cause panic. If we keep our cool we defeat their purpose.

Well, in the West at least. But yeah, big networks mounting international attacks like AQ in 2001 simply don't exist anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 22, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »

"his ego was bruised", when translated into "they insulted his honor", was a valid casus belli just a few hundred years ago, so I don't see what's so hard to get about it. "Insults are washed away with blood" and other stuff like that, you know?
I don't understand WHY people see the need to do it, though. If someone insulted *my* honour I'd not go and stab them in the gut, or shoot them or something similar.

Also, just because it was the case a few hundred years ago doesn't mean I'll understand it now. It's not a case of 'I don't understand the definition' or anything, it's just the kind of moral impetus to go and do this that I really, REALLY do not get.
Well that's because you've been taught as a modern civilized person to not respond to insults with physical harm. People who have been trained otherwise, on the other hand, may consider such behaviour as inconceivable dishonour and "worse than death".

Thankfully for us, such behaviour is evolutionary disadvantageous and so people who are stuck with these outdated believes are ultimately doomed to die to civilized world's superior firepower, precision and reach. And that's good.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 22, 2016, 04:07:46 pm »

"his ego was bruised", when translated into "they insulted his honor", was a valid casus belli just a few hundred years ago, so I don't see what's so hard to get about it. "Insults are washed away with blood" and other stuff like that, you know?
I don't understand WHY people see the need to do it, though. If someone insulted *my* honour I'd not go and stab them in the gut, or shoot them or something similar.

Also, just because it was the case a few hundred years ago doesn't mean I'll understand it now. It's not a case of 'I don't understand the definition' or anything, it's just the kind of moral impetus to go and do this that I really, REALLY do not get.

Maybe the same reason rebels might commit sabotage attacks to sap the strength of an occupying force?

I don't really get it either other than general vague hatred at the west and wanting the west and the US to get out of MidEast affairs. .

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:47 pm »

if people are going to keep reacting to them the same way they've always reacted to them, aren't terrorists just as successful as they were before?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »

if people are going to keep reacting to them the same way they've always reacted to them, aren't terrorists just as successful as they were before?

The US has steadfastly refused to send a ground army to fulfill ISIS's "prophecies," so now ISIS has to try to provoke someone else into playing Rome, I guess.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what they ultimately had wanted for some time. At the moment, most the forces that are fighting them in a ground war are Muslim forces. But at the same time, they launched two other attacks recently, one in Egypt and the Other in Turkey, so at the same time would not bet on that being a goal for them even if I believe it is so.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:14 pm »

Terrorists have become more deadly even if they don't do it through a single isolated attack, plus, you forgot to mention Paris and the rest of the Word outside the West. oh, we also forgot to mention the Russian airline terror attack, which killed more people than in Madrid.

Terrorists also understand that they don't need to pull off an expensive and extremely complicated 9/11 to disrupt the West when they can achieve good results by simply walking through the incompetent European security to completely shut down the capital of the European Union. plus, they can also easily disrupt the West while making a profit out of it by running people smuggling networks onto Europe.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:59:33 pm by Vilanat »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:23 pm »

Even though when comparing the casualty rates of 9/11 to Madrid to London to Paris to Brussels, it might look like casualties are getting less, islamist terrorist victims worldwide have increased, even very rapidly since the Syrian war started in 2011.

80% of all victims from islamist terrorism are muslims from Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nigeria.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 22, 2016, 07:32:58 pm »

As usual, certain reddit moderators are banning almost every single comment that they disagree with or don't like, preventing any real discussion of the recent events.

http://archive.is/vA4wp
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 22, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »

Go to 4chan? vOv
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:42 pm »

What do gun laws have to do with a fucking tragedy caused by terrorism?
Did gun control get so damm engraved in your current generations that somehow you don't need a way to defend yourself?
Sheesh no wonder my grandparents decided to never go back to Europe after world war two.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 22, 2016, 07:47:07 pm »

As usual, certain reddit moderators are banning almost every single comment that they disagree with or don't like, preventing any real discussion of the recent events.

http://archive.is/vA4wp

What does that have to do with the EuroPol thread?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 793