Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Personality Test thing (16 Personalities)  (Read 7889 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Personality Test thing (16 Personalities)
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 12:00:11 am »

Personally, I've always thought personality tests are entertaining but generally a load of bunk and bad methodology. However, the various flavours of the Myers-Briggs test very consistently peg me as some variety of INTP (INTP-A in this case). Well, I'll settle with this: the test can be used to acquire some sort of distributive data, but it's a: not predictive, at least to any useful degree, and b: more about your self-perception than your actual personality.

I mean, the consistensy with which people get results they're satisfied with on tests like this is pretty amazing, I'd bet. I think it would be a useful experiment to have a question like 'How do you feel about your results on this test?' I predict the results are going to be 75%+ positive.
I'm a week old post .-. but it's something I should clarify (along with my last post).

Anyone taking a psychological test alone, should note that any psychological test does not fully reflect the wholesome personality of the person--They focus on aspects, and are not to be used to make holistic conclusions about who or how you are, but a guide towards knowing your potential and where it's generally leaning. (This is why free counseling and interview//assessment is given in universities and other academic facilities who are able to host psychological testing, because the test alone cannot give clarity to the results you get; you work with another person who has the expertise to precisely orient you to where those results apply, and give insight to what you have.)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't really know what to think of this.

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

As a side note, I've often found that the sliding scale used by the website in question is a very imprecise way to do things, considering that answering questions as !!ENTIRELY POSITIVE ALL THE TIME!! drastically skews your results, even though such fully binary answers are nearly never applicable. Using that, I could turn my standard 70%I 5%N 90%T 15%J score into a 100%I 0%N/S 100%T 100%J

So don't answer every question in an entirely yes entirely no fashion unless it actually warrants it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 10:54:14 pm »

* Tiruin realizes she was still not that specific :P

Online personality tests are considered as pseudo-psychological, in that their appeal due to how it is presented is fancy, what with all the images and concrete definitions of our abstract personality; in discernment grounds, these tests are considerably a lot less valid than held with aid by a professional (ie The Psychometrician. That kind of psychologist that is more less known to everyone else and considerably harder as a field of study than Psychologists. :P). They're more used for fun or for skimming where you're generally leaning towards, but should not be used as an end-all/all-in idea about yourself, given the vast and dynamic nature of 'where do I draw the line on how much I know who I am'? -- Do that with a professional (or a friend who is a professional; same case, both are friendly folk).

I was not that clear when I wrote my earlier note, but when I talked about personality testing, only a Psychometrician is able to deliver those things upon request (their field of study covers objective testing as well as Intelligence tests, in brief. The assessment is considerably the easy part--the !!FUN!! part is actually working with the metrics and stats behind the test to get an accurate result :3 Trust me--doing these tests on yourself with these professionals is both !!FUN!! and a ton better than getting an internet test.)

But yeah. Being concise--
I don't really know what to think of this.
Stuff like this is ok. Because it [IS NOT DESIGNED TO ACCURATELY TELL WHO YOU ARE AS A WHOLE] (utilize it as NOTES in the least, towards knowing *certain aspects* of yourself, instead of the general gist of 'this test can tell me more of who I am!').
Inclusive with that is the basic fact of self-reporting. People can be curious given the questions, since sometimes the questions are indistinct (ie Wait, I should only pick one? Both describe me! :I), so that also affects the end result.

But yeah. VERY BLUNT tl;dr (because it is VERY important to understand how tests work, and I'm really concerned if people don't :-\): Online psychological tests are as fancy as horoscope questions (but I didn't like how the earlier poster said it being just like horoscope stuff, because it isn't exactly like that :v)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:05:10 pm by Tiruin »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 11:53:30 pm »

Welp, I'm an INTJ-A; according to the infographic above, part of a lowest minority.

Info:
http://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

EDIT:
Assertive? I don't generally see myself as the assertive type.

EDIT EDIT:
At least my celebrity/character equals are pretty badass.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:01:35 am by Itnetlolor »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:25 am »

Apparently I'm a ENFP-T... Nice.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:01 pm »

Nother one for INTP-T.

The description page is... off here and there in my case, though in general its not as bad a bunch of Barnum Bait as many of these thingies.

Some of the description was a bit too... salving for my taste. Something to do with whatever that premium page is, in a 'Oh soothsayer, tell me more about this highly intriguing future of mine!' kind of way.

Its bunk of course, but at least its bunk that makes you think a bit  :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]