Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You ever not get a game because the DLC was too expensive?  (Read 5972 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You ever not get a game because the DLC was too expensive?
« on: January 03, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

So I was looking at quite a few games in the winter sale and I noticed that a lot of the games I ended up not getting are ones that were relatively cheap to buy but had expensive DLC attached.

I didn't have to get the DLC but for the most part I felt like I had to...

How common is this for you? Will you sometimes just not buy a game on the basis of the DLC price?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You ever not get a game because the DLC was too expensive?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:05:34 pm »

I did for a long time with EU4, because there were so many DLC that even on sale added up to be a lot. And to be honest, I bought the entire set for 5 dollars on G2A cause I'm not spending 50+ dollars on DLCs (100+ not on sale), most which were kinda useless. And I already bought the CK2 collection not that long before, and that one has a ton of DLC too, but it came out to be a lot better sale price for it.

Other than that, I do that with total war, I wait for it to be one big collection and then wait for the collection to go down in price (looking at you DLC whoring rome 2 total war). And by the time it is a good price, there is already a new total war, so I end up actually not buying total war at all (since shogun 2) because there is always a newer better one, and the old one is already old. So I pretty much never buy total war games anymore, and warhammer total war is gonna be the #1 worst dlc whoring game ever to exist, so I won't be buying that any time soon if at all.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:09:39 pm »

CK2 Irks me because a lot of the DLC really should have been bunched with other DLC...

Some of it would be like if Rome Total War sold a barbarian faction but their units looked exactly the same as Roman ones unless you bought the DLC to add the Barbarian Faction models as well.

But... That is Paradox Interactive for you... Hardly the developers fault.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »

EU4(Own the base game, it's trash compared to EU3, and I'm not willing to pay to get a game into a state of worth playing when I already have it's predecessor) CK2(I own some of CK2, but once I stopped playing for a while and stopped getting the expansions, the heap of them that came out since then have totally killed my desire to get back into it.) CIV5 (like EU4 I own the base civ5, and don't think it's a great game, and am not willing to pay to upgrade it.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:33:43 pm by Criptfeind »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:53:16 pm »

Warmachine Tactics, the DLC scheme alone killed my desire (And the later reviews that it was a poor game to begin with as well)

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:06:39 pm »

EU4(Own the base game, it's trash compared to EU3, and I'm not willing to pay to get a game into a state of worth playing when I already have it's predecessor) CK2(I own some of CK2, but once I stopped playing for a while and stopped getting the expansions, the heap of them that came out since then have totally killed my desire to get back into it.) CIV5 (like EU4 I own the base civ5, and don't think it's a great game, and am not willing to pay to upgrade it.)

All of that is pretty reasonable and you've probably heard this before, but you're missing out with Civ V.  :P

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »

Oh man, vanilla Civ 5 is terrible but Gods and Kings + Brave New World make it a pretty good game. You should give it a second chance with the two expansions, it's worth it when it goes on a deep sale.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:55 pm »

Mostly Paradox games for me too, but also Distant Worlds.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »

Was looking at Helldivers, but it came with day 1 DLC for things that really sound like they should have been standard fare.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 11:07:36 pm »

Was looking at Helldivers, but it came with day 1 DLC for things that really sound like they should have been standard fare.
Same, and you just KNOW they're going to release more since it's the magicka team. By the end it'll have costed a fair bit more than a lot of games I enjoy playing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:09:37 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:22:49 pm »

The funny thing is that if you added ALL the DLC together for Magicka you... don't really get that much more added value.

Not relative to the cost at least.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 11:25:07 pm »

I'm currently waiting on Dragon Age Inquision GOTY edition to come down to a reasonable price for this very reason.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 12:34:31 am »

Almost every game that I own DLC for has been skipped over for a year or more while waiting for a GotY version that had the DLC included at a reasonable price.
A great number of games I simply will never buy because of the great volume of DLC, and a lot of others I would never buy unless they all got rolled into a final version.
There have been several game versions that are disingenuous and are deterring me from ever buying GotY-type versions because they are arbitrary for what they actually include, and even worse, "complete" versions not actually being complete with all DLC. At least once I've supplemented my "complete" version with DLC acquired elsewhere because of this.

Price point, volume, deceptive naming/content. Any of those will make me pass on a game (and it's DLC) unless there's a *serious* discount (85%+ generally)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:56 am »

There are many games, notably the Total War series, where I no longer bother buying the basic game at all. Rather I wait for all-in-one-package or at least a deal where the important DLCs and the basic game are both -75%. Many companies seem to basically have a business model nowadays where they split things from the basic game in development (like the ability to play certain factions, c'mon) and sell them separately.

In Paradox games, getting into them certainly requires the same kind of investment, though it isn't the same kind of money milking like with Total War. After all, the DLC actually provide considerable changes and improvements to the game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:12:47 am »

Didn't Call of Duty: Black Ops have some like $3,000 in DLC if you got everything?  They had a separate $5 DLC for every gun skin or something.
Pages: [1] 2