Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You ever not get a game because the DLC was too expensive?  (Read 5973 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: You ever not get a game because the DLC was too expensive?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 05:36:52 am »

There was/is some Train Simulator thing that cost a couple of grands if you got all the accessories, at least. I think the most expensive games in my personal sphere of interest would EUIV and CK2 if you bought all DLC at the full price, but even that would top at a few hundreds? Can't be bothered to check.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 10:21:19 am »

EU4 (skipped it even on sale twice). I'm not that excited with the game and, well, what's the point without the major expansions?

CivV (have the base game but do not play it), I got disappointed with the base game and I'm not willing to risk to try the expansions.

I think they did it right with CKII, they put it on sale bundled with most of the expansions. Later I even bought one expansion separately. Actully, I think I bought it 3 times total so far IIRC :D But the price was always nice.
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:03 am »

EU4 can be a major cash sink.  Personally I'd recommend getting EU3 Chronicles instead.  Not only is it a lot cheaper, EU4 changes around so much with each patch it's borderline crazy.

Rarely do I buy new games much these days.  I'd rather wait a few years and get everything bundled together.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »

I posted about it in the WTF thread, mass effect 3.

Game is on sale for $9.99 on origin. Not great, but maybe I'll get it just to finish the series. Game + story DLC only (not even cosmetic crap)? $65.00

Yeah, no thanks EA, you can keep it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:05 pm »

I bought Dungeon Defenders while it was on sale before they started shoveling tons of worthless kitschy crap cosmetic DLC out, then wished I hadn't bought it.

Same with Magicka, bought it early and liked it, then they added loads of useless DLC and I never went back.

I put off buying Borderlands 2 for a long time because of the long-ass list of cosmetic DLC. Eventually I did pick up the major content DLC's and the level cap increasers and ended up enjoying the game a great deal for the most part. It did save me some money by convincing me not to buy the pre-sequel, though, regardless of its eventual DLC.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »

I've been holding off on EU4 due to its continual deluge of DLC and will continue to do so until it's bundled together into one package for a reasonable price. Besides, I already have EU3 and still enjoy it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »

Nah, but I hardly ever get DLC anyway.  I will often not buy a game if I see too MANY DLC's though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »

Sims 3 and Sims 2....  I'm still looking at that +100 dollar prices with the 66% discount on Sims 3.

CK2 could fit in that category too, but the price point is much lower then Sims 3... so I got em.  (I even wait till I get the hankering to play and for the DLC to go on discount.)

Payday 2 is all about that DLC.

Was looking at Helldivers, but it came with day 1 DLC for things that really sound like they should have been standard fare.
Helldivers has been out on the PS4 for more then a few months already.  So yea, the PC version will have day 1 DLC.

Mostly Paradox games for me too, but also Distant Worlds.
Distant Worlds did eventually combine all the DLC+game into one package... http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »

Witcher 3, that 50% price tag enticed me until I saw there was a fair bit of DLC to go with it... that was only 33% off.

Considering I've yet to get around to finishing the first Witcher game I'm 99% sure that by the time I get around to starting the witcher 3 the Directors Cut version will be out and gone on sale at some point.
Pages: 1 [2]