Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population control through poverty  (Read 1560 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population control through poverty
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

Is is possible to prevent escalation of both invasion and immigration by keeping fortress worth low?

You'd have to avoid mining out veins of precious metals and clusters of gems.

You'd have to leave everything rough, no engraving.

You'd have to melt down the nice things your craftsdwarves make while skilling up.

You'd have to use happiness-makers that don't involve valuable hardware.

But would that be enough?

ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population control through poverty
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

dunno... maybe.

step one, make a TON of cheap barrels, bins, and bags, with plenty of beds.

step two- legendary dining room. make one near your food storage, and keep the dwarves happy with it.

step 3- i would make sure to have a cistern of water inside, with a well, if you want to avoid needing too much booze.

just dont use stone/wood crafting. bone crafting for very basic armor and bolts.

key point, would be no artifacts.... and that means murduring dwarves! doors on all workshops, and lock em as their claimed. let em die, and no artifact to boost your wealth suddenly by more than your current total.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

Someone around here did the "boring challenge" - embark with seven peasants and no gear to a warm, calm location with water, and just leave the dwarves be. Don't touch the keyboard, except to hit space whenever there's an interruption.

Apparently they lasted basically indefinitely, and were quite happy because they were all friends, despite the fact that they only had water to drink and vermin to eat.

I don't think anyone has a good handle on what exactly determines immigration (I don't know if the aforementioned "boring challenge" fiddled with the population cap), so I don't think there's necessarily any guarantee that just keeping wealth low is enough. Though so long as you have fewer than 20 dwarves, artifacts won't be a problem, as no dwarves will become moody.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Though so long as you have fewer than 20 dwarves, artifacts won't be a problem, as no dwarves will become moody.</STRONG>
Whoa.  Is that so?

I was thinking of something more in the 20-30 range for population, rather than 10-20.  But this warrants consideration.

ΘπÆ┼

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

It's all on the wiki.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

Even if you could what would be the fun in that?

DF doesn't really have a goal or any point at which you can say "well I won the game" so it's really just about seeing how massive and decadent you can make your fortress before you either get bored or it's destroyed

I guess if your goal is to have a tiny farming community of a bunch of hick dwarves growing plump helmets, drinking swamp beer and committing incest then you could just dig out a small farm, some bedrooms and call it a day.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

just use the init file to control population levels. If you have population over the cap specified in the init file then you will get zero migrants apart from nobles who arrive seperatly.

To control wealth the only real way is to get rid of it. Everything up to and including excavated space is added to the talley. So what you can do is find a map with a magma vent or chasm and dump everything you don't need into it. Chasming is easy but dangerous. Dumping into any magma will melt all items with little exception.

However if you turn temperature off to improve framerates then magma will not melt anything. You can get around this by dumping stuff into a magma vent tile that is solid magma all the way down to the bottom of the map. Items dropped into the vent will sink to the bottom, hit the bottom layer of magma and vanish just as they would if you dumped them into a chasm.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cbfog:
<STRONG>I guess if your goal is to have a tiny farming community of a bunch of hick dwarves growing plump helmets, drinking swamp beer and committing incest then you could just dig out a small farm, some bedrooms and call it a day.</STRONG>

"Whell look-ee 'ere,  s'lookin' like we got arselves somebody what has a problem wit' some good, down-home sister-lovin'. Itellyouwhat, jus' cuz y'all like yur forts one way don't mean nothin'. Here at our fort, we ain't need no seige t' have a good time. s'Just us and we like it fine tha' way. You got a problem wi' that? Then stoop down here an' say it to my face.

Oi, Limul, pass me that there barrel of swam liquor. Tellin' off these here humans makes a dwarf mighty thirsty."

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Even if you could what would be the fun in that?

DF doesn't really have a goal or any point at which you can say "well I won the game" so it's really just about seeing how massive and decadent you can make your fortress before you either get bored or it's destroyed

I guess if your goal is to have a tiny farming community of a bunch of hick dwarves growing plump helmets, drinking swamp beer and committing incest then you could just dig out a small farm, some bedrooms and call it a day.</STRONG>

The game has no predefined goal.  That does not make the goal to build the largest most unmanageable population.  That means that the game has no predefined goal.  No more, no less.

In my last game fortress wealth ran away with the fortress and I ended up with what seemed like seasonal sieges and massive annual or biannual wave of idiot migrants with replacement nobles.

In my current fortress I want to keep more of a handle on wealth and the growth it brings while I prospect, gather certain raw materials, and get the hang of some design issues.  

I do appreciate the advice with which this thread has provided me.

ΘπÆ┼

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I guess if your goal is to have a tiny farming community of a bunch of hick dwarves growing plump helmets, drinking swamp beer, committing incest, and making deals with dark ocean gods that bring them white gold out of the depths and breed with their women to form hideous hybrid monsters then you could just dig out a small farm, some bedrooms and call it a day.</STRONG>

Fixed.

In addition:

quote:
Apparently they lasted basically indefinitely, and were quite happy because they were all friends, despite the fact that they only had water to drink and vermin to eat.  

Friendship!

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...