Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Arms Race - 1784: British Loyalist Design Phase  (Read 12072 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1784: British Loyalist Design Phase
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:46 pm »

Well, if we're worried we're being too tame on the cannon, we could always try to do breechlaoding using fully cased brass rounds :P

I mean, we do have percussion caps, which are the prereq for that.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

DP for great justice!

After thinking things over, I actually think we're good on the artillery front for a turn(after all, we do have that stolen 12 pounder howitzer as well as our awesome cannons) and can try to keep our naval advantage. Or we can try to help our cavalry. So here's a couple options:

Brittania class Steam Frigate:A new, 200ftx100ft steamship that utilizes an Archimedes Screw(1 full twist) and rudder system instead of paddlewheels for propulsion( though failing that, paddlewheels work as a backup). It is armed with 1 contiguous gundeck consisting of 28 6-pounder guns(14 in each broadside) as well as 2 6-pounder chasers. It utilises a newer higher pressure steam engine and boiler, and the coal bunkers are designed to provide some amount of extra protection to the boilers from the side.(only change from my previous suggestion is to try to get a high pressure engine)

Imperial Cavalry Pistol Mk. 1: this break-action pistol uses new, fully enclosed brass cartidge rounds consisting of a primer, gunpowder, and bullet all encased in a snigle brass casing for easy and quick reloading. It is also rifled for extra accuracy.(Went break-action instead of revolver for slightly more simplicity. Will likely hurt firing speed overall a bit, but should give a good shot at getting cartidges, and at least making percussion caps cheap)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2016, 01:14:17 am »

If we are going break-action, I suggest multiple barrels.

However, I still think we should go with better artillery, and revise the cavalry a carbine of some flavor. Afterall, if the sidearm is the best thing in the world I cant think of toomuch that can benefit more than one aspect of our military, whereas if we get a really good cannon design and then help out the cavalry, well, thats three areas updated, and two locales that are somewhat iffy shored up.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2016, 02:14:56 am »

I could vote for that steamship, if it has other supporters. But if we do that, we should be committed for a revision on it too, since it is unlikely to work well on the first attempt. especially since we also need it to become fast enough to enforce the blockade.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2016, 03:47:17 am »

Technically speaking, a steam frigate like the one I describe wouldn't be for catching raiders, but for freeing up our faster ships to do so by allowing a few of them to counter the mullards. I'm expecting we'd need to copper the hulls of our sailing ships to run down the blockade runners.

Anyways, my vote currently resides with the pistol, since cartridges allow for a hell of a lot of stuff, from easy breechloading cannons to bolt action rifles(or any sort of repeating rifle really) to practical revolvers, and basically any modern firearm you can think of. Hell, we could try to do a Gatling Gun if we get cartridges!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2016, 04:02:24 am »

I still think we need to develope ways to enforce our blockade this turn. I think it means coppering our bottoms/adding sails, so we need a design we can use without a revision to perfect it. I think the steamship is out of our reach for that purpose.
If we want a cavalry weapon, I would be more in favor of a carabine base on our current rifle as previously proposed. we can try getting cartridges for that. ( it will likely be expensive, since it is derivative of our work on percussion caps and those are still expensive)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:00 am »

Good point. Lemme see if I can come up with something like that:

Imperial Cavalry Carbine Mk.1:A cut down version of the Imperial Rifle, the Carbine is designed to be used while mounted on a horse. Thus, it is shorter by a fair degree, and uses a modified breech and hammer that, instead of simply striking a percussion cap, hits a pin that impacts the primer in a fully self-contained metal cartridge(usually brass), allowing better sealing and quicker reloads, even while bouncing in the saddle.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:35 am »

Imperial Cavalry Carbine Mk.1:A cut down version of the Imperial Rifle, the Carbine is designed to be used while mounted on a horse. Thus, it is shorter by a fair degree, and uses a modified breech and hammer that, instead of simply striking a percussion cap, hits a pin that impacts the primer in a fully self-contained metal cartridge(usually brass), allowing better sealing and quicker reloads, even while bouncing in the saddle.
+1. hopefully we at least get cheap percussion caps with this, if not full cartridges.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]