Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21850 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »

For those who finish their sculptures in the given time allotment, those are the submissions that will be judged for THIS contest, and THIS prize.  I think there should be a second deadline for those unable to make the first one, and those submissions should be judged separately.  It's much the same for marathons - there's the real fast guys and everyone else.  Generally, with a bit of a gap between the two.

Er, what is the deadline for the judges to submit their scores for each submission?  To appraise each piece thoroughly and judge based on that appraisal will also take some time, but shouldn't take too much time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:58:09 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2016, 03:10:06 pm »

You should check out the "Lazy Newb Pack" for 42.04 - It includes Armok Vision and the DFHack version needed to run it.

So, I found Linux Lazy Newb Pack and that says nothing about Armok Vision, and doesn't even say which version of DFHack it includes.  The last one it mentions is "dfhack v0.40.24 r2" but that's from two versions (of the LNP!) ago.

Is the "Just unzip it, duh" response a Windows thing?  If someone will tell me "It won't run on Linux, stop trying" then I can stop wasting a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do it, and focus efforts on getting DF working on a Windows box instead.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2016, 03:19:40 pm »

You should check out the "Lazy Newb Pack" for 42.04 - It includes Armok Vision and the DFHack version needed to run it.

So, I found Linux Lazy Newb Pack and that says nothing about Armok Vision, and doesn't even say which version of DFHack it includes.  The last one it mentions is "dfhack v0.40.24 r2" but that's from two versions (of the LNP!) ago.

Is the "Just unzip it, duh" response a Windows thing?  If someone will tell me "It won't run on Linux, stop trying" then I can stop wasting a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do it, and focus efforts on getting DF working on a Windows box instead.

I don't know about the LNP for Linux, but Armok Vision definitely has a Linux version, current releases available for download here (scroll down a bit)
https://github.com/JapaMala/armok-vision/releases

--nomad_delta

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »

I don't know about the LNP for Linux, but Armok Vision definitely has a Linux version, current releases available for download here (scroll down a bit)
https://github.com/JapaMala/armok-vision/releases

That's where I started reading.

Installation:
You must already have Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24 with DFHack R4 installed. Nothing else needed for this release.

All of my previous comments about DF 0.40.24 and DFhack R4 are based on this.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the Armok Vision thread is pointing to the 0.7.1 release instead of the 0.7.2 release that you linked.  I was eventually able to find the 0.7.2 release, but it still says it needs 0.40.24.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:35:52 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2016, 03:42:53 pm »

I asked the same question in the Armok Vision forum and it seems that the 7.2 release works for the 42.xx game files.  (Although, you'll have to "jiggle the toilet handle a bit" on occasion, so there's still some kinks to work out.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2016, 08:23:30 pm »

I think if I cut back some of the goals, it might be possible. FPS is holding steady and right now it's just hours (and hours and hours) of watching the bucket brigade and occasionally burrowing to avoid undead or invaders.

There's been some dfhack to look around for sources of FPS drops, and to fix this bug. I am  consdering dfhack to clean up surface nut/seed accumulation if FPS start to drop more, but right now it's still playable. FPS is pretty much my main concern at this point.

I'd hoped to have two complete, separated forts, one with the regular cultists, and a buried 'service' fort underneath, but I expect it to take time to attract visitors/migrants to populate the upper temple.

Edit: On reflection, I'd rather take longer and do a better job, than call it done when it's really only half-finished. Still trying for two weeks, but that is a pretty insane goal to attempt. If it's not done, that's okay, I'd rather take a penalty or be disqualified than do a bad job.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:37:40 pm by gchristopher »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:42 pm »

Well.  I copied my fortress directory to the Windows partition on my home PC (which I never use, but I left in place).  Rebooted into Windows.  Found the DFFD download page for the 0.42.04 Windows LNP.  Downloaded that.  Made the data/save folder, moved (tried to copy, but don't know how to copy in Windows) the Temple directory into the data/save folder.  Then... tried to figure out how to do things.

I was able to get Armok Vision to run.  It turns out you have to explicitly enable DFHack first.  Then you get a window where there's no instructions or anything.  I found the forum thread for it, and after about 11 pages, there was finally a post with some instructions in it.  Turns out you can use the right mouse button to move the camera around a bit, and WASD keys to move the camera around a bit.  And you're supposed to use a mouse scroll wheel to zoom or something.  Well... crap.  That means I would need a mouse with a scroll wheel.  I don't have one of those handy on my home computer.  Also, I couldn't see any of the silver walls of the temple.  All I can see is the charcoal base.

Next, I tried Stonesense.  That seemed a little better -- at least I could get it to render some of the silver walls.  But once again I am stymied by the fact that it wants a mouse with a scroll wheel to do things like increasing the Z levels that are rendered.

I guess I'll have to try to repeat all of this on a different computer, where I have access to a mouse with a scroll wheel.

(This is part of why I allocated a few days to try to figure out how to get pictures of the fortress.  I knew this was going to be !!Fun!!.)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2016, 11:16:15 pm »

Stonesense can take an "entire embark view" using ctrl-alt-F5 simultaneously.  You just have to make the image smaller by pressing "q" a few times (from what I remember.)  I used that for my Luckiest Tourist game and tiled the images to create the world-map.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »

It seems my work computer hates stonesense.  Every time I try to bring it up, I get the stonesense window with initialization messages, and then Windows telling me Dwarf Fortress has stopped responding, and the process is killed no matter what I click or don't click.  I can launch DF with or without DFHack, but as soon as I type "ssense", it's all over.  Didn't have this particular problem on my home computer, so it could be the version of Windows (different), the video card, the video driver, ... who knows what.

I guess I will have to go on a quest for a scroll-wheel mouse.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »

I had a similiar issue with stonesense when I updated to Win10.  After I updated my graphics drivers for Win10, stonesense worked.

I did however started stonesense from LNP starter window by double-clicking the stonesense from the utility tab.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »

We don't have administrator rights on our work Windows PCs, so upgrading drivers is right out of the question....  Oh well.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2016, 05:00:34 pm »

For those who finish their sculptures in the given time allotment, those are the submissions that will be judged for THIS contest, and THIS prize.

Prize? PRIZE!? What this is?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »

For those who finish their sculptures in the given time allotment, those are the submissions that will be judged for THIS contest, and THIS prize.

Prize? PRIZE!? What this is?
I will take the challenge as a judge. Also, I'll add a further prize into the mix:  Whichever temple is judged the single greatest in all categories, I will recreate in Sketchup and the winning entree will be able to be walked through in first person.  (Armok Vision would be easier, but the it's 3D architecture program "Sketchup" that allows me to render scenes like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2016, 10:44:54 pm »

What better way to honor a diety of muck can there be than for your cave-adapted dwarves to vomit, repeatedly, on every single tile, higher and higher into the sky, as they build?

Can't beat Dwarf Fortress for epic high fantasy.

edit: construction speed has been aided by having no invaders or even surface wildlife anymore. (region-pops confirms, everything is dead.) Hopefully that's fixable once the temple is open for business. However, we do keep getting the same three intrepid kobold thieves a couple times a year! I leave cookies out for them in hopes we can be friends.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:29:41 am by gchristopher »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2016, 09:43:43 am »

I have not committed to digging for the magma source, and still in the middle of deciding between pump stack or magma piston.

The issue with magma piston method is I want to use a digcircle pillar of 13-tile radius for aesthetic and difficulty factor.  But there is about 10z worth of imperfect pillars that I may need to dig out and let it be removed from the pillar's use.  And doing so, my pillar will be 10z below the surface of where I want the magma to fill my ever complicated moat. 

I also have the option to use a more simple rectangle, but I would lose the circular architecture.  And another option to use the planned pillar and build the pump stack here instead.

So while I construct the above ground (magma) moat walls, I am on my 2nd batch of 30x green glass tubes and corkscrews.  I would need around 120 sets of screw pumps.

Now, since I am doing making progress to go the pump stack way, I started thinking of expanding my "ocean water power generator" with some `ugly' rectangle bunker style architecture .  I added raising bridge to shut close the water source pipes just in case zombies from his haunted ocean come visit--I would not want them hanging around my power source"

With some power available, it was followed with some more (+3z) above ground constructions to house the water "pipes" and cistern for the option to make obsidian casted walls.

--

Oh yeah, one more note.  I set my cap to 200 initially, with 1:1 child pop.  One of the first migrant wave child grew up to be a peasant already.  I still have a military of 2 training instead of doing hauling and constructions.  I am still getting migrants waves.  I may need to divert the temple construction into my planned community above-ground housing over the 2 'reserved' heavily forested 48x48 tile areas.  I may just go for 3x3 2-story houses using obsidian instead of orthoclase blocks.  Definitely wood floors.  Ahh, this may be a good project to use silver and gold bars.

I only have 3 bedrooms assigned.  I only have around 24 3x3 bedrooms, and 24 2x2 bedrooms, but all are unassigned.  Why?  The temple isn't ready!  I'm sure I'll make more living quarters after I figure out how the magma moat plays out.  Maybe a nice flat next to an infinite magma pool facing east for the "deity of dawn" portion.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13