Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21878 times)

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:46 am »

[awesome-sounding cult stuff] .... Maybe becoming a were creature is perfection in the eyes of Ad. ...
Please please let it be a tortoise.

Or is that the only active were-curse in this world?

It certainly seems that way I had a human ninja turtle sneak in (probably seeking pizza and settling scores with villanous martial artists) roll through and brutally maul a potter migrant whom I really wasn't concerned about (didn't worship Ad, it was inevitable)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:41 am »

I think I'm in year 3 or 4. 

And I have little idea how to make a temple other than use the location after the meeting zone.
I know about putting a coffer.  And instruments.  So my idea is to have legendary crafters make masterwork instruments.  I also read some about some instruments are made pieces, but that it is procedurally generated.

--

I gave up on looking for each dwarf's deity after the 3rd migrant wave, but I at least gave a profession "?trid worshipper" to maybe 4 dwarfs so far.

But I have not designated yet a temple, so I do not know how to make someone an official temple priest or some such.

--

Anyway, I chose a 3x3 embark with the first 2 columns on the heavy forest biome, with the right column on a haunted ocean. 

The land was not flat as I hoped, so I am flatenning the forest at z+1 above the water as I go. 

--

f?trid is the youth of brilliance, god of metal, fire, dawn, sun.  So ideas:

Sun: I requested sunstones from the caravans and I got only a few cut gems.  Can I use cut gems for windows? Oh well, so much for the idea about representing the sun.  So I am going an above ground building to look like a sun.  I'm just finished my 3rd sun-ray building in and over the ocean when it froze over the winter.  Good thing too that the pack of 8 otter corpses (un-nerfed) has left the map.

Dawn: I suppose the sun and dawn can be of similar idea.

Metal: Well crap, I did not see any (yet) iron or nickel.  So I traded for those meltables, specially steel anvils.  I managed to make 9 magma-safe minecart and 1 set of screw pump and did the magma filling room and use the filled magma-filled minecarts to setup the forges near the surface. 

So thus far, I managed to make 2 fill-ups to finish: 2 magma forge, 4 magma smelters, 2 magma glass, and 1 magma kiln.  And working on smelting the abundant silver and tetrahedrite and started on some gold bars. 

Fire: Magma seems to be the answer so I'm thinking magma pumpstack up to the surface, all 100-120z.  But since I have not seen any iron, I am slowly making green glass.

It does not seem that I can finish a getting the materials for a pump stack by this weekend.  My 3rd attempt to magma-filling is stalled when the haulers refuse to move the minecart stockpile from up top down to the filling room. Lazy dorfs.

I had hope when I got a Giant Brown Recluse spider from the elf trade, and I had an uninvited guest that breaths fire!  But unfortuately, the spider died in its cage before I was able to setup some webbed traps in the caverns.  It would have been so cool to have fire breathing happening on the surface.

--

For above ground construction, I have little metal to begin with, so I used the most abundant items: wood floors, and orthoclase block walls for its color yellow. 
I did not find bauxite for the red I was hoping.  There's some kaolinite--maybe I'll quarry those for color accent after I figure out what comes after the 4th sun-ray wing / building.

--

I have 0 military, and only starting to make steel weapons and armor.  But then, I rather have haulers and construction builders than military training.  So I'm conflicted if I should pursue this military.

I have no assigned bedrooms, despite having at least 3x3 rooms with beds, cabinets, and doors.  Although I have my manager, bookkeeper, and mayor assigned to their rooms.

--

As of last night, I have around 5 metal crafters that are enabled, so I think they will level up as I use the silver and gold to make goblets.

I have crappy artifacts like a chalk mug, a leather cap, and turtle-shell something that made me enabled fishing which I have being the ocean is haunted.

I only met 3 kobold thieves who stole goods when my haulers were too lazy to clear the trade depot.

No goblin sieges or ambush so far, and no were-anyting type attacks yet.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:32 pm »

"too lazy to clear the trade depot."

You settle on a beach and expect your Sun worshipping dwarves to work? They're busy tanning and sipping margaritas.

Also as far as I can tell all a temple meeting area offers is a mood booster similar to intoxication. They work slow when they can't worship especially if overly passionate about their chosen diety. I've just designated it set it to God of choice then instruments and performers offer Musicians and dancers a chance to cut a rug if you provide enough room in the meeting space.

My current problem is only instrument I've managed to provide is a giant stone triangle that is beat on... I have an orchestra of these that are sounded prior to dropping pagans through the "Moon Door"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:28:13 pm by Duck Slayer »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2016, 12:57:54 am »

Every block is by bucket brigade, and the FPS of falling magma is around 5. What was I thinking??? The dwarves are supposed to be the crazy cultists. Not me...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2016, 01:14:55 am »

I am giving on magma pump-stack, and instead will be doing magma-piston from z99 down to z-13. 
This ought to be fun for I have not a magma piston ever.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:17 am »

I realized immediately that 2 weeks real-life time is not enough for any massive megaproject, so I tried to come up with something achievable in that time frame.  I'm nearly done.  The actual construction is done, but there's some clean-up (removal of temporary stairs/floors for access during construction) to be done.  And then I have to figure out how to run this Armok Vision thing, which might be a whole adventure of its own.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:08 am »

I realized immediately that 2 weeks real-life time is not enough for any massive megaproject, so I tried to come up with something achievable in that time frame.  I'm nearly done.  The actual construction is done, but there's some clean-up (removal of temporary stairs/floors for access during construction) to be done.  And then I have to figure out how to run this Armok Vision thing, which might be a whole adventure of its own.

I unzipped it into the Dwarf fortress folde,r and ran it.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:26 am »

At this point, I'm still doing constructions above ground.  It's a massive 3x3 embark, and building on 5 of the 9 region tiles.

I'm surprised the elves haven't declared war because I already deforested 5 out of 6 heavy-forest biomes.
So I decided to start 2 dwarf to train full time in full steel, just incase some invader climbs up 2 to 3-z walls during my constructions.

Somehow the haulers make moving my minecarts from 1 stockpile around z94 down to z-13 very low priority.  So I am force to move magma faster. 
Despite having 2 magma glass, I have less than 10 sets of green glass tubes and corkscrews.  I messed up the logistics as I was just collecting sand and making green glass this whole time, netting me 200+ green glass.  Now it's complaining that I need sand to use green glass to make tubes and corkscrews.  Heh, TIL.

I found a clear-ish 13-diameter pillar for my magma-piston.  I'll figure it out along the way on how to handle incomplete wall pillars.
But I have not started any digging yet for this magma-piston as I try to figure out what I'll do with the magma.  Maybe an 2 wide circular moat around the center first, then around the rays eventually.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2016, 11:44:57 am »

And then I have to figure out how to run this Armok Vision thing, which might be a whole adventure of its own.

That... seems to contradict everything I'm reading, which says Armok Vision uses DF 0.40.24, and an older version of DFHack, which requires manually extracting the older version of DFHack and clobbering the existing files, which in turn assumes you have already extracted a Lazy Newb Pack of some variety, and are not just playing vanilla like I am at the moment... and how do you get a 0.42.04 fortress map into DF 0.40.24 in the first place?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2016, 11:48:42 am »

Do we want to increase the time limit to 3 or 4 weeks?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:37 pm »

And then I have to figure out how to run this Armok Vision thing, which might be a whole adventure of its own.

That... seems to contradict everything I'm reading, which says Armok Vision uses DF 0.40.24, and an older version of DFHack, which requires manually extracting the older version of DFHack and clobbering the existing files, which in turn assumes you have already extracted a Lazy Newb Pack of some variety, and are not just playing vanilla like I am at the moment... and how do you get a 0.42.04 fortress map into DF 0.40.24 in the first place?

There is a link to the new version of dwarf vision in the thread itself. DF hack is easy to install. Just put it in the DF folder.  On that note, I think you are right, I have mine in its own folder.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »

If we do, i'm for it. Several people weren't able to start right away, it seems. I started the first day, and pretty much ran it nonstop.  I have a large dwarf made of iron, and a large square forgotten beast. It may help even the playing field a bit.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2016, 02:14:47 pm »

Obviously that sounds good to me because it's just taking too long.

Having a first round deadline sounds good, though, regardless of the exact date.

I'm not attached to "winning," and as long as the judges are willing to keep looking at entries, I'd be happy seeing anyone welcome to jump in and have their creation scored above mine, even if it's past the deadline.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »

After the entries have been posted, each judge will look over them and rate the temples from 1-5 in the four categories:

1. Relation to deity
-How well does the temple relate to the deity it supposedly represents?
-For example, a temple for a water deity would score high if it was built in an ocean with waterfalls raining down from all sides, but poorly if it was built inside a volcano made entirely from metal.

2. Difficulty to build
-Pretty self-explanatory.
-In this case, a temple built in an ocean or in a volcano would both score pretty high.

3. Architecture
-Do you use only rectangular rooms for your temple, or is the overall shape and construction of the temple more creative?
- A water or volcano temple could score anything here, it just depends on the creativity of the design.

4. Aesthetics
-Basically everything that's not temple shape. Color, instrument placement, etc. all go here.
-This is basically the 'other' category. What's in your temple that's distinguishing?

After each judge looks over the temples, they send their scores to me. I will average the scores and post the results soon after.

Judges:
1. TheCheeseMaker
2. vjmdhzgr
3. evictedSaint
4. Paulus Fahlstrom
5. Timeless Bob

Contestants:
1. jwoodward48df
2. nogoodnames
3. k33n (possibly)
4. SimRobert2001
5. Sanctume
6. nomad_delta
7. greycat
8. TheFlame52
9. gchristopher

It would not be fair for those who finishes in the original time limit. 

Just thinking out loud, since there is 1-5 categories, let's say a judge values each equally at 20 points each to total 100, or 100%.

It may be fair-ish deduct points for each day or week delayed?

So say 2-week limit, max points is 100.
At 3-week or 3rd week submission, max points should be 90-95 a penalty of 5 to 10 points.
At 4-week or 4th week submission, max points should be 80-90, a penalty of 10 to 20 points.

Or a deduction point of 1 per day maybe, 7 per week, 14 in weeks?  But this sounds more complicated.

So perhaps -10 if turned in on or before Jan 31
So perhaps -20 if turned in on or before Feb 7

Edit: LOL I'm sleep deprieved and read "1-5 in four caterories" as 5 categories, thus the 20 x 5 = 100 thought. 

TLDR: 1 letter grade less for each week late turn in, roughly 10% penalty.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:31:19 pm by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »

Obviously that sounds good to me because it's just taking too long.

Having a first round deadline sounds good, though, regardless of the exact date.

I'm not attached to "winning," and as long as the judges are willing to keep looking at entries, I'd be happy seeing anyone welcome to jump in and have their creation scored above mine, even if it's past the deadline.

That is true too for me.  I'm doing it for fun rather than winning.  I just don't want it to be open ended and the entire thing might just fall down page 2 of forgotten. :p
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13