Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 22338 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »

Engraved is a fine Lorbam Edëmdesor rendition of a superiorly designed image of a asparagus. The image is the symbol of The Glove of Winds, a dwarven civilization.

A what.  :o

Engraved is a superior Lorbam Edëmdesor rendition of a superiorly designed image of macadamia trees. The image is the symbol of The Held Palisade, a local dwarven goverment.

Not much better....

I also get several images of a pig demon, who apparently slew some dwarves (and I don't know whom else) in multiple instances a few decades ago.

The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Olon Minehush by the pig demon Werima Wildcouple the Hateful Poisoned Sacks in Tomegleam in The Points of Weight in the midwinter of 78 during Kök Stokko, "The Assault of Boots".

The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Goden Talklashes by the pig demon Werima Wildcouple the Hateful Poisoned Sacks in Tomegleam in The Points of Weight in the late autumn of 89 during Kök Oza, "The Assault of Roars".
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:12 pm »

So, are we free to update to the next game update, or should we stick with .04 for the temple?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2016, 07:53:28 pm »

Congratulations everybody! We're at the half-way point currently, and so far it looks like everyone is having a fun time with the world. Remember to finish your temples and and post your update by next Sunday.

Do we judge as each one comes out, or do we wait until everyone has submitted before giving scores?

I would say we probably should wait and do them after the deadline is and all the entries are posted, but you can choose to do them all at once or one at a time.

So, are we free to update to the next game update, or should we stick with .04 for the temple?

Yep! Do whatever you feel like.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2016, 08:09:57 pm »

Looking forward to judging each submission!  It sounds like there are quite a few good starts.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »

I'm pretty excited.  I am a huge fan of aesthetically pleasing fortress designs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2016, 11:13:04 pm »

Might have to forfeit, school's demanding a lot of work. Still think it'll be fun to look over other temples. (Not as a judge, though it'd be cool if I could switch, but just as an onlooker.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:44 pm »

I think the odds of finishing by next weekend are medium-to-low, but will keep trying!

Here's a report on Hamlet Nisgaksebshos Rath Disuth, "Frostmires the Temple of Nightmares" up through year 5!

First, there was some pre-embark dfhackery, mostly to increase the challenge available for embarking. Two things were done.

1. Make it rain dwarf blood. There was no evil weather anywhere in this world!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Tweak elevations and biome locations so there's a playable biome near the evil mountains, because what Fun would things be without undead and freakish weather?

Here's the location:

And here's the result when we arrive at our shiny, new (freezing, hellish) 3x5 home! The whole embark, including the stream, is frozen year-round, which is going to cause no end of headaches throughout the game.

Embark: 01-01-100

We dig a tiny hole in the ground and hastily begin felling trees. A foremost concern is to quarry a couple stones from the nearby hillside, along with a few pieces of coal!

We'll need a stone door before something nasty comes along!

Frantically, supplies are carried underground. On the mountainsides all around us, it is snowing dwarf frozen blood!

Time to get REAL used to the following cancellation message, because it's going to keep happening for the rest of the game: (and not just for turkey pasturing)

Leaving a mining pit open to undead attack sounds like a bad idea, so a double-slit aquifer piercing is attempted. On 4-9-100, it succeeds! We are through the aquifer!
(Though we could have probably gone around it through the mountain areas.)

Early-summer: 4-15-100: Dark Gnome Corpses show up, a lot of them! Our run of good luck is over, but thankfully we have access to stone and coal for trap-making!

Just after that, we pierced the roof of the first cavern layer and got it floored over, fast! (Oops! That was the second cavern! Apparently we missed the first one entirely.)

5-14-100: The gnomes wander off and we sneak out to dig out and roof over small areas for a refuse pile and surface farm plots. Now we have year-round agricultural production, which simplifies planning!

Year 1 Report 01-01-101: 18 dwarves, 15 adults and 3 children, make up the Worshipful Nooses at Nisgaksebshos Rath Disuth, the Temple of Nightmares. We have built a small, self-sufficient fort, with bedrooms, kitchen, farming and workshops. We've hauled up magma for a glass furnace and smelter, and magma for a forge is being carried up the stairs.

At this point the fortress begins a cowardice-based strategy for survival when walled in by evil biomes. All access is blocked by walls, doors and bridges, with a generous helping of cage traps at the few available entrances.

3-22-101: A ninja turtle stealth weretortoise is screaming across the map, tearing dark gnomes limb from limb! Wow! And it was an elf. Crazy.

Year 2 report 01-01-102: 40 dwarves, 10 children. (Hit the 40-dwarf population cap!) Work has begun on a pump stack to bring up the huge amount of magma that will be required to properly honor Ozor.

The aquifer has been pierced in a second location to allow the pump stack through. This was much easier after having already gained access to magma.

We still have not captured a giant cave spider, which will also be needed, so better traps are being planned.

3-12-102. Pull the lever! This is our first attempt to activate the magma pump stack!

Success! We now have a high-volume magma source. Now to cast a ton of obsidian for construction material! (We'll need around 1000 obsidian blocks for above-ground obsidian casting, even recovering the lower levels after casting to build the upper levels of the forms.)

Year 3 report 01-01-103: The same 40 dwarves have been mining and crafting. Wait, what game is this again? Anyway, we have a ton of materials, and the outer world has gone strangely quiet. It's time to return to the surface and begin to build!

The symbol of our civilization is Two Giant Wombats. Truly epic stuff. The symbol of our local site is a dwarf. Creative choice there, guys!

Almost all effort goes into two goals: building obsidian scaffolding and aboveground pump stack, and creating clear glass. We're taking advantage of the lack of creatures to get that work well underway!

7-2-103: First contact with any kind of invader! Three kobold thieves wander by the construction site! Next time let's leave some cookies or something out for them.

Working in freezing biomes is a lot harder than anticipated! For obsidian casting, we first have to fill each layer with ice, because aboveground water pumping is impossible. So every single block requires two trips by a bucket-laden dwarf. This is going to take forever!

Late fall: We've trapped a giant cave spider! This marks a major milestone for success: webbed cage traps are now a possibility.

12-22-103: The first magma is poured into the form! We can now start recovering blocks used in constructing the forms.

Year 4 report: 01-01-104 Magma pouring of the lower levels has begun, along with an incredibly tedious bucket brigade for water. The other major push is still to make clear glass. We also need an ice machine to give us a better source of ice boulders!

4-2-104: Three more kobold thieves? Where are the cookies? We want them to come back! It's lonely around here, with almost no surface animals, undead or goblins.

4-20-104: Oh sh*t! The Weretortoise Cobi Espoele Nocam Irum has come!
4-21-104: He transformed into a human and left. That was a close call, as several workers were on the surface and our traps are still minimal.

6-18-104: We've trapped a polar bear! This might be part of a great welcoming committee. The elves have also brought us a breeding pair of grizzly bears and a giant black bear.

7-2-104: More kobolds! Three again: This time I'm remembering their names: Fruler, Jrakus, Dragakaplilus. Come back, we have piles of free crap for you to steal and help increase our framerate!

12-17-104: The Forgotten beast Nula Iquilacethutha Obi Imeri has come!

And is promptly collected by the webbed cage traps set up for the occasion!

Year 5 report: 01-01-105:

Construction is happening, aided greatly by the extremely low rate of visitors! (Trapping a bunch of undead in a hallway probably helped with that.)

There is a Dark Gnome Corpse left lower arm hanging three z-levels up in a tree branch, kicked up there by a Ninja WereTurtle.

We struck adamantine early in the magma search and though there's only one spire on the map, it was gigantic, producing almost 300 wafers so far. That will come in handy later.

All of the peasants were trained up to level 1 in Mason, and a large stack of bituminous coal was been set aside for their moods. This is starting to pay off, as the early spate of useless craftsdwarf artifacts is starting to give way to glorious coal artifact furniture. (Sadly, you can't set furniture on fire, but it's part of the planned mythology.)

There's still no contact with the goblins, sadly.

FPS is still above 90 most of the time, thankfully. A lot of effort is going into that. Population limit will stay at 40 until there's more than just the utility fortress underneath, which will probably be at least another 5-10 in-game years.

Oh, also, the amount of cave-adapted dwarf vomit on the surface is starting to compete with the blood rain! Yum!

edit: Spoke too soon about the goblins! :) They showed up early summer 105, a small siege of two squads. Looks like we have to stop abusing the lack of invaders and set up some actual fortress defense! (To date, 5.25 years in, there's no militia and something like 5 cage traps at the entrance, and that's it.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:58:30 pm by gchristopher »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:35 am »

What do you use to get the 3d image?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2016, 03:46:14 am »

Armok Vision.

You should check out the "Lazy Newb Pack" for 42.04 - It includes Armok Vision and the DFHack version needed to run it.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2016, 04:35:44 am »

Armok Vision.

You should check out the "Lazy Newb Pack" for 42.04 - It includes Armok Vision and the DFHack version needed to run it.

Thanks. Full disclosure: I've started to run DF hack, and used to to clean up the tiles. I also used it to help me pick out the correct type of material that I need instead of scrolling over and over in the menu. By GOD it is so much easier.

But, construction of an additional temple goes well. I was going for complete iron, but in Armok vision, it looks completely black. But, i'm making a earthenware forgotten beast.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:49:12 am by SimRobert2001 »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »

Frostmires, the Temple of Nightmares.

Chapter 1: The Strange Mood of Ozor

Winter, Year 39. Mountainhomes, The Mechanisms of Slapping

Well, kid, ya did it. You passed the tests and you're an Initiate now. I didn't think you were gonna make it, but'cha did, so I guess ya get to start to learn some real Secrets now.

Most around here worship Osram Ironoils, ya know. Wealth, jewels, all that. A fair few worship Anist Yellsthunder, hrmph, war, the fortress. That's good stuff too, even though not many know Anist was the one that let two demons up from Below, just 'cause he felt like it.

Yeah, not many worship Ozor. Muck? What kinda god'll tell you that muck is holy?

To be honest, I haven't really figured out the muck thing, either. I'm guessin' the high priest has a better idea.

Now, dreams, nightmares, and all the things you find in the night? You might say those are scary, and sometimes they are, but there's also something awe inspiring about it, you know? It's in our blood, to build high, to dig deep, and a little fear isn't a bad thing to carry with you down into the tunnels. Gives you respect, makes you think. Maybe brings you back alive someday.

Anyway, the high priest'll want to talk to ya later, but my job's to tell you a story you haven't heard yet.

I see th' others are here, we all get together for the old stories. Here we go. This is the story of Ozor's Strange Mood.

Ozor may be a god now, but in the time before time, he was a dwarf, or something like us. He drank, he dug and he built. And he was a Mechanic! Like us, here in the Mechanisms of Slapping, he was one HELL of a mechanic, maybe the best there ever could be.

Now one day at his workbench, Ozor felt the world go sideways underneath him, as though he weren't fully a part of it anymore. Then he felt his skin start to itch, like bugs were crawling all around inside him. Then he felt his arms and legs start to move, little twitches, out of control. I see a few of the old ones here know that feeling. It's called being Possessed, and it's not the best kind of Mood, almost like someone steals your body, takes it away from you and uses it.

How that happens I dunno, they say there's a god of gods, but nobody knows its name. Ozor was possessed by it, and he couldn't do anything but obey.

It happened to him like it happened to us, it makes you see a vision, it makes you NEED things, and if you don't get them, it eats you up from the inside. That's one reason why we have the Vaults, stuffed full of things that we might be forced to Need.

So Ozor knew he had to make Zirileshal, Firemourns.

The first thing he needed was coal, which was easy. He gathered up three big pieces and pressed them together in his workshop and as if his right hand were a hammer and his left an anvil, the pieces formed together.

The next thing he needed was logs. Again, he crafted them into carved spikes with only his hands and his will, because he was a God as well as a dwarf, after all.

But this was the time before time, and Ozor was more than just a dwarf, he was a God. And so for him, the things he needed were things you'd best pray are never asked of you.

The next thing Zirileshal demanded was Fire.

But how do you carry Fire? Ozor didn't have a choice, and fire was what he had to have. So he marched down to the magma at the base of the world and held his right hand in it until it caught.

Even for a god, that was a lot of pain, but he walked back up to his workshop, right hand on fire, holding his left hand near it to keep it from blowing out.

Then he put his still-smouldering hand on that piece of coal and wood and the artifact lit up like a torch. Smoke filled the room and all Ozor could see was darkness.

Whatever it was that possessed Ozor demanded one more thing to complete the artifact.

Just one.

It needed a live cat.

This is where, in the church of Ozor, we always stop a moment to remember. Say it with us, all together.

His name was Mister Fluffikins.

They say that was his pet cat, and he loved that cat, did Ozor. And then, in the time before time, he became the first dwarf to create and artifact and go insane at the same time.

Plus, by this point, half the fortress was on fire. That fire burned up the fort and everyone in it, and they say somewhere deep underground, Ozor's workshop is still burning.

Now, I'm not fully sure what lessons we're supposed to learn from Ozor and his artifact. I'll leave that to my betters.

Maybe we're supposed to learn to not dream too far above our station, or else there's nightmares waiting for us?

Maybe it's that we should finish what we start, no matter how hard?

Anyway, if we're ever gonna strike out and build a temple to a God of Dreams and Nightmares, the Night and .. Muck?, maybe the lesson is that we'd better be prepared for anything, and just be ready.

I'm just an old dwarf, and won't see it finished. But you, young Ducim. Work hard, earn respect, and you might just be there to find out what we're destined to do.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2016, 08:19:19 pm »

In the Spring of 103, the Priestess Zasit, a glassmaker, was possessed by an unknown entity.  Driven by mind-rending need, she selected green glass (not even aware that other dwarves had made it just for her), gabbro stone, cobaltite, tanzanite gems, green zircons, and cave spider silk.  For weeks, she labored, forsaking alcohol and food and rest.

Suddenly, as quickly as the unknown force had taken her will, she slumped to the ground, exhausted.  Upon the workbench stood Rithostuk Azmol Thun, Bellssneaked the Obscurity of Dominion in the Human tongue, a green glass barrel.  Such power had she channeled.  The barrel bore images of clouds, and of the ascension of Queen Thîkut Mazecity to the throne of The Glove of Winds, and others, and an image of Rithostuk Azmol Thun itself.  Mortal minds trembled at the sight of infinity.

Rithostuk Azmol Thun, the greatest and most singular barrel in the history of The Glove of Winds, now contains 10 units of cow's milk.  No dwarf will admit to being the one to put the milk in there.  Such is the reverence for this treasure that no cheesemaker will dare use the milk.  The milk sits there, unusable, unrotting, eternally.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:49 pm »

I have developed a beautiful machine to both appease the Lord of night, moon, and sky... And maintain a healthy population of devoted worshippers of Ad... I will be unveiling the "Moon Door" later this week... It seems I've exhausted the FPS of my laptop and must continue via PC... I also was overrun by zombies which I feel was acceptable to the Lord of the night so more followers were sent to continue temple construction. I currently have my scholar pondering Moon phases so upon his next development I think a sacrifice will be made to bring the dwarves of Darklens even closer with their Lord. Maybe becoming a were creature is perfection in the eyes of Ad.

Also let it be known my efforts are completely purist... I'm on latest SDL, no dfhack, no raw edits, no tiles etc, no save scrubs, not even dwarf therapist, running in Linux... Because I'm a masochist like that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:49:56 pm by Duck Slayer »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:33 pm »

Ptw

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2016, 11:54:32 pm »

[awesome-sounding cult stuff] .... Maybe becoming a were creature is perfection in the eyes of Ad. ...
Please please let it be a tortoise.

Or is that the only active were-curse in this world?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13