Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65634 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #480 on: January 25, 2016, 06:11:26 pm »

We probably should. Here are the plants with magical properties I've got planned so far. None of it's actually made yet, but I have the ideas in mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does the tool base potion thing work, exactly? And the invisibility? (I ask because I've not seen it, so it sounds interesting and intriguing)

Ideas I've had:

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 25, 2016, 06:16:01 pm »

So...I was tossing around a few ideas, watching anime for inspiration, you know, generally doing stuff. And I had the idea of weapons, that can only be gotten by fighting demons. Maybe they're really powerful, so only like a really lucky fortress can get one, or a powerful adventurer? The reason they're so special is because they're Cursed, so they do more damage to magical enemies. You could have some variety, like bows, swords, daggers, maces, etc. What do you guys think? I'm not sure on this one, but I thought it was interesting :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »

And I had the idea of weapons, that can only be gotten by fighting demons.

Demons

Demons

That brings up the question. Are our demons naturally of this plane, forged by the effects of raw magic(magicite) on mortal beings, or are they the massive titans of the extradimensional beings feasting on the core of the plane?

Edit: Also, does contact with a weapon cause syndrome effects? Like actual cursed weapons?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 25, 2016, 06:30:29 pm »

And I had the idea of weapons, that can only be gotten by fighting demons.

Demons

Demons

That brings up the question. Are our demons naturally of this plane, forged by the effects of raw magic(magicite) on mortal beings, or are they the massive titans of the extradimensional beings feasting on the core of the plane?

Edit: Also, does contact with a weapon cause syndrome effects? Like actual cursed weapons?

Not sure about where they come from, but contact with the weapons for too long can lead to horrible things. Like insanity, pain, death, possesion...you get the idea. The only exception is if someone is trained from birth for these weapons, and even then they rarely survive the experience.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:00 pm »

Not sure about where they come from, but contact with the weapons for too long can lead to horrible things. Like insanity, pain, death, possesion...you get the idea. The only exception is if someone is trained from birth for these weapons, and even then they rarely survive the experience.

That's part of my question. Does contact with weapons cause syndrome effects?

I think I'm gonna put necrosis on iron and test it in the arena.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 25, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »

We probably should. Here are the plants with magical properties I've got planned so far. None of it's actually made yet, but I have the ideas in mind.

How does the tool base potion thing work, exactly? And the invisibility? (I ask because I've not seen it, so it sounds interesting and intriguing)

Ideas I've had:

The idea was to make them tools that're just called "x potion" then make a boiling stone reaction that consumes the potion. That way people can drink them even if they aren't thirsty and people don't have to do crazy stuff with burrows to get the right person to drink them, just assign them to that workshop with the manager or disable the alchemy labor for everyone else. The invisibility one would work by giving the creature access to an interaction (using (CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION]) that gives them the hide ability. The usage hint would be blank, which if I remember right makes the creature use it whenever it's available. Just gotta make the cooldown shorter than the duration of the effect and that's that.

A side effect of doing it that way is that people could burrow their entire fort on the workshop tile and give everyone the potion's effect, but given the negative effects of these that probably isn't the smartest plan anyway.

Edit: I really like the permanent potions idea. The fumes are interesting, but could you explain a little more how that would work? And as I recall it takes DFHack to reliably apply coatings to weapons. It's technically possible with some really janky setups, but they're all just as likely to infect the person doing it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:05:04 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:50 pm »

The idea was to make them tools that're just called "x potion" then make a boiling stone reaction that consumes the potion. That way people can drink them even if they aren't thirsty and people don't have to do crazy stuff with burrows to get the right person to drink them, just assign them to that workshop with the manager or disable the alchemy labor for everyone else. The invisibility one would work by giving the creature access to an interaction (using (CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION]) that gives them the hide ability. The usage hint would be blank, which if I remember right makes the creature use it whenever it's available. Just gotta make the cooldown shorter than the duration of the effect and that's that.

A side effect of doing it that way is that people could burrow their entire fort on the workshop tile and give everyone the potion's effect, but given the negative effects of these that probably isn't the smartest plan anyway.

Boiling stones don't actually work all to reliably without DF Hack do to "breathing ticks" (65-75%?) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154562.msg6659549#msg6659549.

I actually had a possible solution that's posted in that link, but I can repost it if requested.
I think that his numbers are probably a wee bit off given a comment at the bottom about how often the effect works.

As to this, "The usage hint would be blank, which if I remember right makes the creature use it whenever it's available. Just gotta make the cooldown shorter than the duration of the effect and that's that." What I noticed in arena was that it wasn't used on self as often anymore. If I could make a suggestion? Use two, usage hint "greeting" and usage hint "attack_only(or whatever the actual thing is)." That way they'll be forced to use it in the only 2 situations they'll find themselves in.

Edit: My solution to large groups, which I posted in the thread, is theoretical, but might work.

There's a mod that covers weapons in adventure mode, if I recall.

Double Edit: The mod escapes me! Nooooooooo... Well... I see 2 possible ways to do it then. Weapons made of a material that melts inside the creature. Or.... momentarily give an interaction to the user that can target a material, and tell it to fire the poison at it..
Or give up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:58:24 pm by Urdothor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »

Ouch, well that's disappointing. And makes me wonder just how much else I know about what's possible and what's not is two or more major releases old, heh. I guess they'll pretty much have to be drinks to get them to work reliably, but it's so inelegant by comparison as far as gameplay is concerned.

The only problem I see with your solution is that the containers won't disappear along with the stones. We might be able to provide an explanation for that mechanically by making the player produce special containers to run the reaction that are, regardless of input material, made of a material with the necessary properties. But even that might fail, since the liquids would need to make it into the right container and as far as I know there's no way to guarantee that that will happen.

Edit: Or we could daisy-chain free automatic reactions that require, then consume, an otherwise useless product of the first (that will rot away if unused to prevent abuse) get more gas flowing. I don't know exactly how many it would take, but it's bound to work eventually, right?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:17:56 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »

Ouch, well that's disappointing. And makes me wonder just how much else I know about what's possible and what's not is two or more major releases old, heh. I guess they'll pretty much have to be drinks to get them to work reliably, but it's so inelegant by comparison as far as gameplay is concerned.

The only problem I see with your solution is that the containers won't disappear along with the stones. We might be able to provide an explanation for that mechanically by making the player produce special containers to run the reaction that are, regardless of input material, made of a material with the necessary properties. But even that might fail, since the liquids would need to make it into the right container and as far as I know there's no way to guarantee that that will happen.

Edit: Or we could daisy-chain free automatic reactions that require, then consume, an otherwise useless product of the first (that will rot away if unused to prevent abuse) get more gas flowing. I don't know exactly how many it would take, but it's bound to work eventually, right?

You can specify reaction classes to allow the reaction to require special containers!

[REACTION_CLASS:X] Reagent material must have the specified reaction class

Edit: So that means that my way can work, if we can get the SPEC_HEAT timing right on the fumes.

Double Edit: Boiling stone reactions Inhalation effects are a lot more consistent out of combat, so that means it should work fairly often.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:26:03 pm by Urdothor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:40 pm »

You can specify reaction classes to allow the reaction to require special containers!

[REACTION_CLASS:X] Reagent material must have the specified reaction class

Edit: So that means that my way can work, if we can get the SPEC_HEAT timing right on the fumes.

It would take a fair bit of tinkering, but if that's the case I don't see why this wouldn't work. Now we just need to ‼science‼ at it a little...

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2016, 08:29:18 pm »

It would take a fair bit of tinkering, but if that's the case I don't see why this wouldn't work. Now we just need to ‼science‼ at it a little...

I suppose all we really have to do is find what interval between SPEC_HEAT makes one stone boil as another's smoke dissapates.

Edit: What if we did 1 person potions as a stone that boils on touch, not air contact? So it's a contact syndrome, basically.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:36:18 pm by Urdothor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 25, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »

I thought contact syndromes with materials were kinda finicky. Did you ever do that test with nauseating iron?

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 25, 2016, 08:47:10 pm »

I thought contact syndromes with materials were kinda finicky. Did you ever do that test with nauseating iron?

I believe it's only finicky with weapons? I can give it a quick go.

Did you implement Bearskies reactions with the sand/clay(?) yet, by the way?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 25, 2016, 08:52:26 pm »

Yeah, I put them in earlier today.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 25, 2016, 08:54:06 pm »

Yeah, I put them in earlier today.

Just keeping track is all.

Edit: The player list is slowly gaining character, inspired by Cerapters "Cerapter Cancels Mod Game" suggestion. I vaguely remember having important things to do. Vaguely.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:59:46 pm by Urdothor »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42