Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65690 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »

Ah. Yeah, my school just throws projects and stuff at you pretty much from day one, and the rest of my time is filled with working on pet projects and stuff, so I'm normally pretty busy already.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2016, 11:20:51 pm »

You are plainly more industrious than many forumgoers.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:56 pm »

I imagine forum activity will fall off heavily until people get used to a school workload again.

Grumble six thirty to eight thirty grumble grumble.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2016, 11:33:43 pm »

I have one short class. Which is good, because it's hard.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:00 am »

Nah, not indutrious. I just have to be doing something, or I drive everyone else insane, not to mension myself.

Also, I'll be back who knows when. I'm going to be more busy than usual, because teachers just hate life.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2016, 01:32:36 am »

I'd like to join as a modder. I could also make some graphics eventually if we want to make a graphics pack to go along with this eventually. Rather simple stuff is all I can do, to be honest.

I have a lot of ideas for weird mundane creatures, plus an entire magic pseudophylum based on the Nuckelavee.

Spoiler: stuff (click to show/hide)
I think this sounds slightly too cliche, to be honest. I'd prefer if it was less magic being at fault directly and more it's presence in these worlds acting as a beacon that attracts the more divergent, random magic-based creatures (going along with the previously-mentioned Dungeon Dimensions analogy). I do like the idea of passive magic use, and I have some ideas for why there are mundane creatures while nature takes advantage of anything that it can that are based on that. Basically, my idea is that mundane creatures use magic at such a basic, cellular and natural level (using RNA-programmable enzyme summoning circles instead of ribosomes, for example) and for such mundane purposes (stuff like increased strength that's likely to be given to mundane creatures by modders anyway for the sake of competitive balance), that it's unrecognizable as magic both to animals that are explicitly magic and to more ordinary magic itself (due to the sheer volume of minute magical effects cluttering up their magic signature, preventing spells from recognizing them as targets), which gives them the magical resistance they need to stop their thaumobiological makeup from being jumbled by ambient magic.

TLDR: I think mundane creatures should use magic, but in a mundane way (not requiring special interactions), like vanilla's giant creatures that defy the square-cube law.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:50:15 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:20 am »

What's happening now?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2016, 06:02:02 am »

Now? Let's go practice medicine.
We wait, I think.

Also, another request
: could we have the creature's average size in the creature description? I think some mod or mods did this already, somehow like this:

"(~60 000 cm3) A medium-sized hippy who's all about protecting them trees."

I'd like this mainly because I think most of us will be making pretty alien shit. Some way to QUICKLY determine whether you should even take on an enemy would be nice. I mean, we'll still have the in-game and the 'out-game' wiki for these types of information, but you shouldn't have to consult either of those to get an idea regarding the power of two creatures.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2016, 11:33:22 pm »

Now? Let's go practice medicine.
We wait, I think.

Also, another request
: could we have the creature's average size in the creature description? I think some mod or mods did this already, somehow like this:

"(~60 000 cm3) A medium-sized hippy who's all about protecting them trees."

I'd like this mainly because I think most of us will be making pretty alien shit. Some way to QUICKLY determine whether you should even take on an enemy would be nice. I mean, we'll still have the in-game and the 'out-game' wiki for these types of information, but you shouldn't have to consult either of those to get an idea regarding the power of two creatures.

That's a good idea I think.

Sorry, fixing some bugs. The flavor of the day for bugs today:
Strobe deserts. Forgot to define soils. Will do shortly.

Also, Bearskie, a few minor issues I hadn't picked up on your raws. Fixed 'em

Edit: New idea.

So, I know in the original there wasn't really much at all until like the 3rd turn, and everything was rather bare right?

What if before we start everyone involved submits something? Like everyone submit a few basic things, like a basic creature, stone, plant, etc. before we actually begin?

I just finished the templates, so if we want to do that we can.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:01:03 am by Urdothor »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2016, 02:04:04 am »

I'll see if I can make a simple grazing animal. Nothing too weird. Just pretty much a vacuum-faced armless theropod dinosaur.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2016, 02:21:43 am »

Strobe deserts.

Strobe deserts.

Strobe deserts.

I feel that this must be a thing. Possibly as a feature of those areas worst corrupted by Chaos?

Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:16 am »

I'm pretty sure that that's a bug that can't be replicated. Otherwise I would insist that solid blood walls and creatures with molten glass for blood would have to be a thing as well.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2016, 04:52:06 am »

Could use exclusive grasses to place rainbow grasses in evil deserts somewhere. Can use alternate tiling to create strobe flashing effect. It's gonna be sooo DIIIISSSCOOOOOOO~!

Edit - Got the PM! Will be starting my turn, but everyone's free to make basic contributions while I'm at it. Here's the save Urdothor sent me, it contains the current templates and stuff. Some of them are off though -- you can't use identical tokens (eg two lungs both with token LUNG), but identical categories are ok.

Note. Halfling's values are alot higher than vanilla's and ours. Basic organic materials are often at least as strong as Urd's stone template, sometimes 2x, and come close to metal values. I'm going to increase my plant stats to match it -- I suggest you do the same.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:27:10 am by Bearskie »

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2016, 07:39:25 am »

Bearskie, you're more experienced than I am. Could you fix the things that are a bit off, such as the lungs, and boost my inorganic template values?

Or, I'll do it and send it to you. Just which happens to work out best.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:41:33 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2016, 08:50:39 am »

No problem. I'd also like to tidy up the body files. All the parts would be unchanged, but I'll make the connections more modular through con_cats instead of cons.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42