Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 284238 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: Omega Base
« Reply #2850 on: June 21, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »

So what does Freddie have to work with?
hang ten, I'll get to you. you were on the mission to the desert city, and the Lathal mission, correct? any additional ones? Also, do you have a beginner creature sheet?
pre-edit: let's see
Desert city: diplomacy, medium risk
10 coin, 6 substat
Lathal: High Risk, Long, Unique (technically a fetch quest, but a VERY IMPORTANT one)
Mid-mission: 20 coin, 4 stat, 12 substat
End of mission: 20 coin, 4 stat, 12 substat, Boon.
A boon is a special reward from Omega for DOING THE THINGTM. Think about it, and I'll think about it. you can hang onto the Boon too, to be called in at a time of your choosing.

Due to Aylia's nature as a shifter, items are less valuable to her than stats. is there any way to give up monetary compensation for statistical ones?
Example: Aylia's previous training with Senna, did not actually have any effects on her stats in any way, but was something she spent several turns on.
((Note: I think for balance reasons you're going to have to tell me no. but figured I'd ask))
On a simlar note, the Guest GM event at the time gave a half-level to be applied to either stats or skills, could something similar occur?

and that version of the Black mark seems manageable so long as I keep track of it and try to keep it under control, and I think she's going to be rather extremely in touch with her sense of mortality considering... you know.
unfortunately, no, I can't really trade them out at this time. But i'm sure there will be items of use to her. there were before, though I understand that things are markedly different now.
You may have one stat point for the Guest Gm half-level.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

New problem: Regarding magical affinity, Bruford is not "mechanical" per se. What's the name for the animating force of things like animated armors, clay golems, etc?
you have multiple problems:
1) Movement stat is at cursed, and as such you need that to be at 0, 0, 0. Otherwise you have NO agility, and are stationary. every attempt to move your body will result in calamity. Same with medical, it needs to be at 0, 0, 0. you cannot negatively modify a cursed stat or skill. thanks for showing me this issue :P
2)"killing smaller things" is way too broad for a giant. it amounts to a free bonus to all combat rolls.
3) that 5 coin would get you a medium creature sized axe. large would cost 10, and giant would cost 40

There is good news however: you've stuck with the game in spite of several discouraging situations, so I will grant you a boon of some kind. I don't think the boon will be the axe: you are pretty solidly melee OP as it is. The axe isn't going to make a reasonable difference for a little while yet. I know, I'll grant you the +1 to dex, and one more +1 to a subsat or subskill of your choice. I'll also grant you an additional 10 coin starting fund.

Now, as for affinity: you may choose mechanical, elemental: Iron, or alchemy, though I do not recommend the last one.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: June 21, 2018, 07:33:14 pm »

What's the cost for Ranged Weapon: Magical Firebreath?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »

Eh, it's alright. The dice just really hates me and I should stop feeling like it's the GM fault that I have bad luck.

The reason why Bruford has such crappy mobility it's because he's (as Egan noticed) a reference to a certain character that has a tendency to trip and fall over a lot. I'm probably okay with walking and not dodging anything ever, it wouldn't really make sense for such big and mighty creature to actually be evasive or fast.

What about changing "killer of small things" to only apply to humanoid sized creatures? Elemental:Iron sounds good as an affinity. Also, thanks for the small boon. I'll add that extra point to constitution so I have better chances at survival this time.

These should be my new stats, I'll edit the sheet in the other thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 21, 2018, 08:10:32 pm »

make it a spec? what qualifies it as magical instead of natural firebreath? what difference should I expect in the effect?

Eh, it's alright. The dice just really hates me and I should stop feeling like it's the GM fault that I have bad luck.

The reason why Bruford has such crappy mobility it's because he's (as Egan noticed) a reference to a certain character that has a tendency to trip and fall over a lot. I'm probably okay with walking and not dodging anything ever, it wouldn't really make sense for such big and mighty creature to actually be evasive or fast.

What about changing "killer of small things" to only apply to humanoid sized creatures? Elemental:Iron sounds good as an affinity. Also, thanks for the small boon. I'll add that extra point to constitution so I have better chances at survival this time.

stats look okay. Limiting the spec to humanoid sized creatures is not a significant improvement. I'm sorry, with this sraightforward build, I can't even think of a good alternative spec.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: June 21, 2018, 08:14:22 pm »

make it a spec? what qualifies it as magical instead of natural firebreath? what difference should I expect in the effect?

stats look okay. Limiting the spec to humanoid sized creatures is not a significant improvement. I'm sorry, with this sraightforward build, I can't even think of a good alternative spec.

Could "natural armor" be a spec? Bruford will probably look like an armored giant, only that inside the armor is just more iron.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 21, 2018, 08:37:21 pm »

spaz,
show me what you are spending level-up points on, would ya?
also, I think you are missing a couple pieces of the character sheet.
why do you have a shapeshifter special? You shouldn't have that.
why is your affinity Fey? Ah, did you copy paste from Lenglon? Anyway, your magical affinity should be undead, and Omega. That's right, you have an affinity to Omega Magics.

My bad, sorry, I had copy pasted and edited the one lenglon posted
I'll fix it. I really need to get my sleep schedule back on track.

I do need to figure out how many specializations I have, right now my mind isn't working and I can't seem to figure out how many how many I should have, I know cursed for ranged.

I think it's correct now, I was just really tired, please tell me if this is correct and if I need to include the level ups from the two missions vlad has done.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:40:57 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: June 21, 2018, 09:19:51 pm »

Spoiler:  Aylia (click to show/hide)
How's it look?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:59 pm »

Well, it's a ranged weapon, so I thought buying it as a ranged weapon would make sense.  It's powered by magic rather than requiring ammunition of some kind, and is affected by his magic stat and his ranged stat like it was previously, instead of just one of them.

I mostly just don't like getting stuff for free, and free abilities like that would not seem to be the case any more.  Freddie's breath weapon seemed at least equivalent to a standard 10 coin ranged weapon for a good-sized creature.  Natural weapons, although cheaper, are generally a lot weaker, and although his natural melee weapons were pretty good, they weren't anything special.

Plus, well, I might want to take specs to improve his skills with it, or spend coins to get upgrades to it in the future.  He did have implants affecting it in the past, for instance.  That was done as a spec then, but currency didn't exist at that point.  I also thought he had a still mostly fleshy but more cyborg body now, and that maybe buying natural weapons or upgrades or such would make more sense, as he no longer grows.

It just seems more unified to buy the weapon with coins and then buy the specializations to make use of them effectively.  Otherwise, just take a creature with a natural weapon that emulates the one you would buy, and bam, free weapon.

Anyway, here's the blank sheet.

Spoiler: Freddie (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:14:55 pm by Devastator »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:08 am »

So with the various finalizations to the new system, Gak's base sheet would look like this:

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 22, 2018, 05:58:21 am »

Could "natural armor" be a spec? Bruford will probably look like an armored giant, only that inside the armor is just more iron.
Since armor is basically a bonus to the constitution stat at the expense of some movement, natural armor would be redundant with constitution. You really like to take specs that mimic base stats and skills, don't you?

I do need to figure out how many specializations I have, right now my mind isn't working and I can't seem to figure out how many how many I should have, I know cursed for ranged.

I think it's correct now, I was just really tired, please tell me if this is correct and if I need to include the level ups from the two missions vlad has done.

You have two affinities: Omega, and necromantic. You get both of them, not one or the other. Beyond that, it looks right. Vladen was on the same missions as Freddie, so:

Slaves: 5 coin, 1 substat
Lathal: High Risk, Long, Unique (technically a fetch quest, but a VERY IMPORTANT one)
A boon is a special reward from Omega for DOING THE THINGTM. Think about it, and I'll think about it. you can hang onto the Boon too, to be called in at a time of your choosing.

Totals: 45 coin, 8 stat, 25 substat.

Spoiler:  Aylia (click to show/hide)
How's it look?
comparable to the character you had before, but with the black mark and pure Fey attribute. My gut tells me I allowed too much of your level-ups to return, and should halve the stat and substat grants. Also, race should be High Fey, for clarity.

Well, it's a ranged weapon, so I thought buying it as a ranged weapon would make sense.  It's powered by magic rather than requiring ammunition of some kind, and is affected by his magic stat and his ranged stat like it was previously, instead of just one of them.

I mostly just don't like getting stuff for free, and free abilities like that would not seem to be the case any more.  Freddie's breath weapon seemed at least equivalent to a standard 10 coin ranged weapon for a good-sized creature.  Natural weapons, although cheaper, are generally a lot weaker, and although his natural melee weapons were pretty good, they weren't anything special.

Plus, well, I might want to take specs to improve his skills with it, or spend coins to get upgrades to it in the future.  He did have implants affecting it in the past, for instance.  That was done as a spec then, but currency didn't exist at that point.  I also thought he had a still mostly fleshy but more cyborg body now, and that maybe buying natural weapons or upgrades or such would make more sense, as he no longer grows.

It just seems more unified to buy the weapon with coins and then buy the specializations to make use of them effectively.  Otherwise, just take a creature with a natural weapon that emulates the one you would buy, and bam, free weapon.

Anyway, here's the blank sheet.

Spoiler: Freddie (click to show/hide)
Going with a flat build, eh? That's good. it looks balanced. Creature type should be broaderthan race though, but draconian is reasonable as a creature type, at least until Ican figure out what overall slot they would fall into.
as for buying a natural weapon with coin - you see where that's a problem, right? Natural weapons are inherent to the body/mind/spirit of the creature at chargen. Although ... on the Dark grey Market ... and of course the Gnomes ... but a purchased upgrade like that no longer counts as natural, unless it is in exchange for another natural part of the body.
But, specs is where things like this have traditionally been added in the game so far, so I think you'll need to use one for it, unless you want to trade more stat/skill points for it. That said, fire breath is a better ranged weapon than standard weapons, excepting that it doesn't operate at longer ranges like bows would, so to purchase a similar non-natural weapon, via implants or the like, will cost more.

So with the various finalizations to the new system, Gak's base sheet would look like this:

I believe you were on the mission with Freddie, not with Vladen, who joined that mission with the second team. THe two teams didn't overlap until the very end, so:

Desert city: diplomacy, medium risk
10 coin, 6 substat

Totals: 50 coin, 8 stat, 30 substat, mission equipment (knives), Boon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 22, 2018, 07:04:07 am »

Probably going to do three sheets in total.  One where I add the substat points after adding the stat points, one where I add the substat points before the stat points, and one where I do stats/substats based on the mission results in order.  Mostly because there's a lot of differences, and you can get a ton of extra points depending on how that's interpreted.

This is the first one, with substats added after stats, or the lowest interpretation.

Here's the sheet with substats added before stats.  Do note how much more powerful this character is.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:10:57 am by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 22, 2018, 07:29:08 am »

I'm running out of ideas for specs, sorry. Would "throwing" be a valid spec? For both weapons and small enemies I am able to grab with my hands.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:13 am »

I don't see why you couldn't take a spec for grappling.

You could also take a stat point for reducing your total spec count.  Basic specs would have one fewer slot, and if you think of another one you want later, it's only one stat point to get another slot.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: June 22, 2018, 08:10:27 am »

I'm running out of ideas for specs, sorry. Would "throwing" be a valid spec? For both weapons and small enemies I am able to grab with my hands.
Thrown: miscellaneous is fine as a spec. That would cover, rocks, enemies, cabbage carts, etc. But to throw a weapon as intended, you'd need a spec in that weapon. So, I'll allow it with your axe, for example. But to throw a spear, well ,yo ucould do damage, but don't expect the pointy end to stick into the soft bit.

Probably going to do three sheets in total.  One where I add the substat points after adding the stat points, one where I add the substat points before the stat points, and one where I do stats/substats based on the mission results in order.  Mostly because there's a lot of differences, and you can get a ton of extra points depending on how that's interpreted.

This is the first one, with substats added after stats, or the lowest interpretation.

Here's the sheet with substats added before stats.  Do note how much more powerful this character is.

I haven't got a freaking clue what you are doing here. Could you walk through it with me in one stat? say, the melee, natural weapons one? I'm pretty sure there is a misunderstanding here somewhere.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:51 am »

Two points have been brought to my attention that are worth considering:

1) the rewards for the Second Lathal Mission are generous: a double level halfway through, and essentially a double reward at the end.

2) The reward for the first Lathal Mission could be reduced (say, halved), as it was a failed mission.

Both of these points have merit:
Gak:      two missions. Reward: 50 coin, 8 stat, 30 substat, mission equipment (knives), Boon.
Vladen:  two missions: Reward: 45 coin, 8 stat, 25 substat, Boon.
Freddie: two missions. Reward: 50 coin, 8 stat, 30 substat, Boon.
Kongor: tbd

Clunkers: six missions. Reward:  70 coin, 5 stat, 19 substat,
Aylia:       four missions. reward: 50 coin, 3 stat points, 21 substat points, Lathal mission equipment.

I did in fact intend for the Lathal second Mission to carry high rewards. I granted a double level up at mid-mission, and in effect a double reward at the end of the mission.
The Lathal mission came very close to being the last mission for this game. I wanted to find a stopping point and close the book. Those five players kept this game going though, and the mission WAS long, hard, and significant for Omega Legion itself. had the mission failed, Omega Base would have been destroyed, [redacted vital military secrets] would have been [redacted], and Omega Legion would have been reduced to a roving band of mercenaries, regardless of whether the game itself continued or not.

that said, Clunkers has been a vital character since the start, and Pancaek has been a positive influence on the game as well (though he did decline to join that last one, grrr).
I'm rewarding him with 3 additional stats, and 6 substats. Additionally, the exploration missions yielded opportunities for diplomacy as well, so I am awarding him 10 coins and 4 substats for the two diplomacy occurrences.

Finally, were I to reduce pay for failed missions, I'd have to reduce pay for the Lathal mission (only Aylia was on that one), the alchemist fetch quest (only Clunkers was on hat one), since someone killed the objective, and Vladen's reward from the slave rescue mission, since he died there. Additionally, the desert city one was only really half a success at best.

I'll let you guys discuss all that. if you feel strongly enough that I ought to nerf some rewards, I will.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 194