Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Guard  (Read 2414 times)

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Guard
« on: December 18, 2015, 12:19:09 pm »

Ive been having trouble with keeping my captain of the guard happy. Every fortress I play, my captain will always eventually start throwing tantrums. When reading his recent thoughts I will see something along the lines of "annoyed by the lack of cages and chains". Obviously I need more cages/chains but how much? Normally my jails are six rooms with a copper chain in each, that's not enough. Is there a specific place I need to build them, connected with his actual room, or can I just make cage traps near my fortress entrance? Should I make a rather large zoo?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Guard
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »

It sounds like he wants a bigger jail. Check the z-screen under "justice", that should tell you how many chains he wants in your jails.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »

Typically you need 1 cage or chain for every 10 dwarves, constructed and designated for justice.

A chain in this instance includes cloth ropes and metal chains.  A cage, on the other hand, includes only metal cages and not wooden or glass terrariums.  It doesn't matter where they are placed.  Also it's better to use just chains/ropes, since you can put food and booze stockpiles nearby so the dwarf doesn't need to be fed by someone.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 01:03:53 pm »

It sounds like he wants a bigger jail. Check the z-screen under "justice", that should tell you how many chains he wants in your jails.

I have never noticed that
Typically you need 1 cage or chain for every 10 dwarves, constructed and designated for justice.

A chain in this instance includes cloth ropes and metal chains.  A cage, on the other hand, includes only metal cages and not wooden or glass terrariums.  It doesn't matter where they are placed.  Also it's better to use just chains/ropes, since you can put food and booze stockpiles nearby so the dwarf doesn't need to be fed by someone.

Well that's good to know
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »

Best jail room design.

Code: [Select]
#####   # - wall, . - floor
#TCS#   T - table, C - chair, S - statue
#Bcf+   B - bed, c - chain, f - prepared food stockpile (no barrels)
#dd.#   d - drink stockpile, + - door
#####

The food stockpile + table and chair within chain's reach mean no one will need to feed the dwarf, and it won't get unhappy thoughts for not eating at a table, just like the bed will prevent unhappy thoughts from sleeping on the floor. Statue has a chance to give happy thought.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 10:35:35 am »

Best jail room design.

#####

The food stockpile + table and chair within chain's reach mean no one will need to feed the dwarf, and it won't get unhappy thoughts for not eating at a table, just like the bed will prevent unhappy thoughts from sleeping on the floor. Statue has a chance to give happy thought.

I don't know about you but I think my dwarves deserve the unhappy thoughts they get for having to eat without a table and sleep without a bed. IT's JAIL! It's not supposed to be FUN!

<grin>

I understand the minmax need to know how to do this, I just choose not to :)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:46:09 am »

Old habit. I guess you didn't play yet where jail sentence was a death sentence if you did not build your jail like this. Dwarves would become so unhappy they'd go miserable. While with this prison design, it was the other way around. Depressed dwarf goes into jail, ecstatic dwarf comes out.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 11:56:56 am »

Old habit. I guess you didn't play yet where jail sentence was a death sentence if you did not build your jail like this. Dwarves would become so unhappy they'd go miserable. While with this prison design, it was the other way around. Depressed dwarf goes into jail, ecstatic dwarf comes out.

Oh, no, I did play then. I've been palying for a long time. I just don't mind it when things go awry and people die, even all of them.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »

Best jail room design.

#####

even from a minimalistic standpoint that is kind of inefficient. the dwarves that will fill the food pile will probably do as much work as the feeders, plus nobody will get the happy taught from feeding/getting fed

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »

even from a minimalistic standpoint that is kind of inefficient. the dwarves that will fill the food pile will probably do as much work as the feeders, plus nobody will get the happy taught from feeding/getting fed

The design comes from older versions where prisoners didn't usually get fed, at all.  But if you put some food where they could reach it, they would eat it themselves.

I don't know the current state of dwarven prisoner care.  I haven't had a justice prisoner in a really long time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 03:17:33 pm »

The design comes from older versions where prisoners didn't usually get fed, at all.  But if you put some food where they could reach it, they would eat it themselves.

I don't know the current state of dwarven prisoner care.  I haven't had a justice prisoner in a really long time.
ah, alright then. i find digging a 3x1 hole works without any issues this version

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »

even from a minimalistic standpoint that is kind of inefficient. the dwarves that will fill the food pile will probably do as much work as the feeders,

Not at all. prepared food comes in stacks of many meals, just like a barrel of booze holds more than one drink. Plus you can lock down your prisons when they are unoccupied so your dwarves won't eat and drink from their stockpiles.

plus nobody will get the happy taught from feeding/getting fed
not getting the happy thought for being fed and given water is more than offset by not getting unhappy thoughts for not eating at a table, not getting unhappy thoughts for lack of alcohol, plus the happy thoughts for admiring own fine table, own fine chair, and own fine statue (if you designate a room from the bed and assign it to the chained dwarf, that is. I think you can even get the 'dined in a legendary dining room' thought if you assign a dining room from the table, and make everything out of fancy stuff like platinum).

You're right on the nobody getting a happy thought for feeding or bringing water though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:10:18 pm by martinuzz »

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »

even from a minimalistic standpoint that is kind of inefficient. the dwarves that will fill the food pile will probably do as much work as the feeders,

Not at all. prepared food comes in stacks of many meals, just like a barrel of booze holds more than one drink. Plus you can lock down your prisons when they are unoccupied so your dwarves won't eat and drink from their stockpiles.

plus nobody will get the happy taught from feeding/getting fed
not getting the happy thought for being fed and given water is more than offset by not getting unhappy thoughts for not eating at a table, not getting unhappy thoughts for lack of alcohol, plus the happy thoughts for admiring own fine table, own fine chair, and own fine statue (if you designate a room from the bed and assign it to the chained dwarf, that is. I think you can even get the 'dined in a legendary dining room' thought if you assign a dining room from the table, and make everything out of fancy stuff like platinum).

You're right on the nobody getting a happy thought for feeding or bringing water though.
legendary dining room in jail cells?! even my most pretentious nobles dont earn that kind of treatment. it takes real dedication to turn a jail into a luxurious rehabilitation center!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 08:42:25 pm »

legendary dining room in jail cells?! even my most pretentious nobles dont earn that kind of treatment. it takes real dedication to turn a jail into a luxurious rehabilitation center!
Which just made me wonder if it's possible, after adding a chest to the empty floor spot, to designate it as a tavern, and with the help of some nefarious burrow micromanagement, give the prisoner his own personal barkeep and band of performers  :D . I should add a temple too, by designating one of the locations from the dining room and the other from an overlapping i-zone

Must .. try... Waiting for either a mayor or a raising of the lands to nobility, so I can export some banned goods to get some test subjects in prison.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:48:45 pm by martinuzz »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 09:06:59 pm »

It doesn't take much at all to make a "legendary dining room".
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2