Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Guard  (Read 2404 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Guard
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 10:45:51 pm »

It doesn't take much at all to make a "legendary dining room".
True. Still, the 'shared room' penalty for the room being jail cell, bedroom, and dining room does make it take *some* effort in a 3x3 space.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 12:14:06 am »

I don't mind making jail cells luxurious, mostly because its bulshit nobles making bullshit demands that get them there in the first place. Urist McFancypants, you know good and God-damned well those lead goblets were traded to the elves BEFORE you issued that export ban! *sigh* Sorry, Urist McSmith,back to the slammer with you... We'll reconsider your request to get some "magma plumbing" installed in his highnesses bedchamber's...

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 01:25:13 am »

Of course if the captain needs 1 cell for every 10 dwarves, out-fitting every cell into a rehab centre seems like a huge expensive waste. Seems much better to have empty 3x3 rooms and redecorate after the innocent dwarf has been locked up. Say, by stealing furniture from the offended noble's room.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 09:21:18 am »

I don't mind making jail cells luxurious, mostly because its bulshit nobles making bullshit demands that get them there in the first place. Urist McFancypants, you know good and God-damned well those lead goblets were traded to the elves BEFORE you issued that export ban! *sigh* Sorry, Urist McSmith,back to the slammer with you... We'll reconsider your request to get some "magma plumbing" installed in his highnesses bedchamber's...

That has been fixed in this version!

You can now sell off goods in the brief moments your nobles have no export bans. Even if they re-instate the ban before the caravan leaves, you are safe as long as you made the trade while there was no export ban.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 01:03:39 pm »

I don't mind making jail cells luxurious, mostly because its bulshit nobles making bullshit demands that get them there in the first place. Urist McFancypants, you know good and God-damned well those lead goblets were traded to the elves BEFORE you issued that export ban! *sigh* Sorry, Urist McSmith,back to the slammer with you... We'll reconsider your request to get some "magma plumbing" installed in his highnesses bedchambers...

That has been fixed in this version!

You can now sell off goods in the brief moments your nobles have no export bans. Even if they re-instate the ban before the caravan leaves, you are safe as long as you made the trade while there was no export ban.

Oh thank God, this one drove me crazy.  I've lost a few smiths from an export ban going into effect after the caravan had started moving.  And while we can control mayor and baron appointments, there is still no way to prevent that Duke who arrived from spamming you with anvil mandates. When you have to import iron. Magma.  Plumbing.

Btw, about pimping out 20 jail cells... just put a bed, chair, table, statue, and rope in each ahead of time.  You can worry about setting up the stockpiles after an inmate gets incarcerated.  I seriously doubt you'll have 20 prisoners at any given time, but just putting in the furniture should be easy enough. They don't have to be masterwork platinum and engraved with diamonds... just owning some middling quality wood stuff is usually enough to give them some warm fuzzies. 

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 04:17:04 pm »

My typical design for a prison complex:

1) carve out a large room
2) put down precious-metal chains at regular intervals
3) Designate rooms from each chain that cover the whole room.
4) create a food (meal) stockpile that coveres the whole room, then delete parts of it so that there is a 1-tile stockpile for each chain
5) create a food (drink) stockpile that coveres the whole room, then delete parts of it so that there is a 1-tile stockpile for each chain
6) Engrave the floor.

The combined value of the precious-metal chains and engravings should compensate for the shared-room penalties.  I find beds, tables and chairs are unnecessary - the bad thoughts due to their lack seem to be outweighed by the benefits of gold chains and masterwork engravings.

Doing the stockpiles that way is probably unnecessary, but I find it involves less micromanagement in the long term than creating individual ones for each cell.  Also, it makes it easier to set them up to take from your main piles.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 [2]