Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: getting rid of useless artifacts  (Read 6292 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
getting rid of useless artifacts
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:50:34 pm »

time and time again my dwarves get possessed and produce worthless artifacts and gain no experience

all these artifacts are starting to attract attention
the most recent being a flying blob titan.... made of snow XD

but really out of 7 artifacts only 2 of them have been useful, the warhammer so badass it shoots bolts, and a chair for urist McImSpecialGiveMeFancyStuff

is there anyway to get rid of the headscarf, face veil, earring and rings?

also is there any way to make sure my dwarves dont keep making useless crap like that?

yet another one of my dwarves got possessed, this is the 7th possessed one, only one wasnt possessed
is there a way so make them not get possessed?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: getting rid of useless artifacts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:23 pm »

I don't think you can prevent the making of useless artifacts, but you could always sell them off or incinerate them with magma. This will make the creator of the artifact upset, but if they gained no skills then I guess it's not that big a deal.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:04:06 pm »

You might be able to force the artifact into a garbage dump and just drop a bridge on it.

The moods themselves are based on a timer that counts until it hits a number to make an artifact.
I don't think you can really choose whether you want it to be a fey, secretive, or possessed mood.
I think you can actually force a fell one... It might have something to do with unhappiness?

You just have to hope that your brand new weaponsmith just so happens to get a fey mood and make a steel sword...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »

You cannot sell or burn artifacts away. I do not know about drawbridges, but artifacts cannot be dumped.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:29:59 pm »

Also ,the loss of an artifact seriously upsets the dwarf that made it.

Also also, the gain of skill has nothing to do with the quality or artifact produced and instead is due to the type of mood they get - 'possessed' does not grant skill, sadly.

There is no way to influence what sort of mood a dwarf goes into.

A moody dwarf will make an artifact of the highest skill that can have a mood (in Dwarf Therapist, this is referred to as a 'moodable skill'.)

If you want to increase your chances of getting weapons, make sure that every dwarf with no or very poor skills makes a handful of weapons soon after arriving at your fort, thus granting a level or two of 'weaponsmith' and making that their highest moodable skill. Then even if they get possessed and don't get legendary skill, they'll still make an artifact weapon.

Most of the time.

A dwarf can only go into a mood once ever, resulting in either an artifact or an insane and soon to be dead dwarf.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:03:41 pm »

You can weaponize the ones made from a flammable material. Just drop them into a magma-filled pit and they'll burn forever, Generating lots of smoke that traps creatures in place and kills the ones that need to breathe. Throw a hatch over the top and link it to some nearby pressure-plates and you have a sort of proximity mine.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:39:03 am »

also is there any way to make sure my dwarves dont keep making useless crap like that?
Moody dwarfs make artefacts according to their highest appropriate skills.

Masons make rock furniture, carpenters make wood furniture, weaponsmiths make weapons, bone carvers make bone items, etc.

Farmers, peasants, etc with some level of masonry will make masonry items, etc.  Farmers, peasants, etc without any of the above skills will make craft items (and gain craft skill as a result).

What item they actually make is random, unless they "like" a particular item.  A mason that likes tables will make an artefact rock table.  A bonecarver that likes crossbows will make a crossbow.  But a mason that likes crossbows will just make a random rock furniture.

Wetal workers sometimes insist on using their favourite metal (or at least they did in earlier versions), but material preferences don't seem to matter for other labors.

If you are willing to do a lot of micromanagement (inspecting all migrants for skills and preferences, and retraining them as necessary) you can get reasonable control over the sort of artefacts your dwarfs make.  If a dwarf likes shields, train them in armourshithing, carpentry, or leatherworking and if they get a mood you will get a metal, wood, or leather shield.  If a dwarf likes platinum and warhammers, make them a weaponsmith and if you are lucky you might get a platinum warhammer.  (Conversely, if they like tin and swords, don't make them a weaponsmith, or you could endup with a tin sword).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:26:59 pm »

I made a stockpile near the edge of the map for useless adamantine maces and stealing npcs like kobolds stole them

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »

I haven't encountered dwarves insisting on preferred materials, but even if it's the case you can control the materials used, either through mass forbidding unwanted materials or restricting the dwarf's access with locked doors (I don't think burrows stop moody dwarves).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

CraftyButcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:00:23 pm »

There is no way to influence what sort of mood a dwarf goes into.

I know it used to be determined by dwarf happiness. Happy dwarves would become Fey, ok dwarves would become Possessed and unhappy dwarves would murder their friend and turn them into Dwarf Leather Trousers.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:32 pm »

Sorta. Only fell/macabre are caused by happiness (the lack of). Otherwise it's random.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:21 pm »

You cannot sell or burn artifacts away. I do not know about drawbridges, but artifacts cannot be dumped.

I never had a problem dumping artifacts.  It was my primary means of getting artifact battle axes out of my woodcutters' grubby paws.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 09:37:18 am »

unhappy dwarves would murder their friend and turn them into Dwarf Leather Trousers.

"It menaces with spikes of dwarf baby bone."

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:05 am »

unhappy dwarves would murder their friend and turn them into Dwarf Leather Trousers.

"It menaces with spikes of dwarf baby bone."

On it is an image of a dwarf and a dwarf in dwarf baby bone.  The dwarf is laughing.  The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture.  It relates to the loss of Urist Mcspareparts in the summer of 177.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 11:53:03 am »

Can't you offer the artifacts to the caravan to give the the monarchs in the mountain home, or elves, or humans?
Pages: [1] 2