Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: getting rid of useless artifacts  (Read 6290 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: getting rid of useless artifacts
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »

Go read the thread in General Discussion about roughly this same topic. :P

No, you cannot; they cannot even be BROUGHT to the trading depot.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 11:29:08 pm »

Metal preferences are only enforced is you have produced (not bought) a metal of that type. So if your weaponsmith likes tin and SWORDS, just don't directly sdmelt casseterrite or/melt tin items. Otherwise, he'll go insane refusing steel until you find him another bar of tin.

There are weights in the skills, too.  Woodcrafting and such have a much lower priority than the metal jobs, I think it's 2-3 times less likely?  So if you are good at screening migrants and grooming them for weapon/armor moods, you'll trigger far more of these. Otherwise, your 1-2 smiths get drowned out by the unwashed masses wanting to make artifact toy wooden anvils.

Clothing artifacts never degrade, so they aren't that terrible, but its hard to get as full set, obviously.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 07:10:58 am »

But now the children play with those artifact toys! It is adorable watching little urist handling a toy hammer worth 80000 dwarfbucks!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:55 am »

The best way of reducing worthless artefacts is to make sure every dwarf that hasn't mooded is at least dabbling in some useful moodable skill, like armoring, blacksmithing, and weaponsmithing.
If they already have dabbling or above in other moodable skills, at least it will reduce the chance for it to get a useless mood, since the RNG will have to pick between the skills already present and the usefull skill.
If they don't have dabbling or above in any moodable skill yet, it will ensure that if they go moody, they'll go for the skill you picked.

As for the OP.. Why throw away face veils? Just put them on your mercenaries as face armor that will never wear out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:25 am »

No! The highest moodable skill is ALWAYS used. I don't know whether rust or experience within a level matters, but a Proficient Mechanic and a Dabbling Weaponsmith will never smith a weapon as a mood.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 12:14:39 pm »

There is no way to influence what sort of mood a dwarf goes into.

I know it used to be determined by dwarf happiness. Happy dwarves would become Fey, ok dwarves would become Possessed and unhappy dwarves would murder their friend and turn them into Dwarf Leather Trousers.

Perhaps if you put a bunch of unhappy dwarfs into a room near some goblins they will make =Goblin Skin Thong=?
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 02:10:30 am »

Install a "display case" mod and all artifacts can become Room Enhancers.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 01:53:15 pm »

Can't you stockpile them somewhere outside, then delete the stockpile and designate a dump under them?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 [2]