Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)  (Read 7994 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 7 (1/6/2016)
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2016, 11:44:42 pm »

"Finally." NeoDireWolf turns towards the new ghost, his anxious grin reappearing. "Ghost and flesh both freed. Or rather separated." NeoDireWolf stares into the ghosts eyes.

"This should lend us a great advantage if indeed we are still of the same spirit."

"Yes, indeed. A ghost has it's limitations and so does a flesh. However I urge you to grasp the reins of your form and transform it into an apt vessel for our spirit, just as I also have begun to. The very inner workings of this flesh shall be tried until it also has conformed to the distant glimmers of the spirit."

NeoDireWolf's eyes trail off to the side, he seems worried and saddened all of the sudden, "Then we shall complete our final grace..."

NeoDireWolf looks back into the eyes of his ghost still anxious and saddened, "Tell me, are you still us? What will you make of this?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 7 (1/6/2016)
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:11 am »

Roll 8

"I... think I want that, as a human. But I cannot speak for my ghost."

"You cannot what? Your ghost is no more. Or so I was told. Normally, when a person diverges, the ghost half remains in the network. In the case of yourself and a few other recent divergees, the ghost was nowhere to be found. You don't mean to say you know where your ghost is...?"

"Ah yes... Thank you. I'll not get too close as I'm unaware what kind of anti-armour equipment infantry might have on this planet... Can you fill me in on that, Intel?"

Approach, but not too close, and use the machine gun. Then drive up to inspect the area, unless instructed not to do so, in which case drive on.

Intel: You should avoid infantry with any long, tube-like weapon. Those could be coilguns, which the armor on your vehicle isn't built to withstand. Lasers and small arms are no big problem. Depending on what portal you came from, you might be expecting rockets, but don't count on those. Missiles are easily shot down by point defense. Nobody uses them.

[17+1 -> +1 to Gunnery skill] You sweep the area with machine gun fire. The infantry are affected as follows:

(7), (4) Both infantry out in the open are cut down. The shells explode on impact, literally slicing one in half while the other loses at least one limb, although it's hard to tell with all the graphical effects, err, viscera. The de-limbed one moves around a bit on the ground, but his gun was knocked away so he should pose no threat before bleeding out.
(8+3) The smoke provides the third soldier with a decent amount of cover, but you see a pink mist mixed in with the smoke for a while. Judging from the previous effect on targets, this one should now be neutralized as well.

Atlas: Gooood... although you might have tipped them off what with that smoke column. Maintain course.
The smoke from the drill is rising into the air. Given the crystal-clear sky, it should be visible for miles off.

In the distance looms a white spire supported by three pylons. At this point Intel fires a remote observer drone which lets you see past the terrain: It is an enitre installation with considerable air traffic making landings on the circular runways surrounding it. Windows along the sides are all lit, indicating a sizeable population. All of this is located past the mountain, but only the tip of the spire is visible from your current position at the other base of the mountain.

To approach it, Atlas states that there are a number of options.
>You may take the mountain pass. It is likely to be well-guarded, but it is the most direct and safest route in terms of terrain.
>You may attempt to scale the mountain. You won't be detected because the satellite is not overhead, but the terrain may be difficult to climb and your vehicles will have trouble maneuvering.
>You can go around the mountain and pass through a glacier. Your own colony is located in an ancient crater basin surrounded by mountains, but over time erosion has worn away at the edges, and this glacier is one such example.

The glacier is likely to be both unguarded and unwatched. If you do get into combat though, there is no cover or terrain to manipulate, and so any battle will get decided by brute force.

As a squad member, you are allowed to make a suggestion. The original mission plan was to use the mountain pass, but Atlas seems hesitant.

"Finally." NeoDireWolf turns towards the new ghost, his anxious grin reappearing. "Ghost and flesh both freed. Or rather separated." NeoDireWolf stares into the ghosts eyes.

"This should lend us a great advantage if indeed we are still of the same spirit."

"Yes, indeed. A ghost has it's limitations and so does a flesh. However I urge you to grasp the reins of your form and transform it into an apt vessel for our spirit, just as I also have begun to. The very inner workings of this flesh shall be tried until it also has conformed to the distant glimmers of the spirit."

NeoDireWolf's eyes trail off to the side, he seems worried and saddened all of the sudden, "Then we shall complete our final grace..."

NeoDireWolf looks back into the eyes of his ghost still anxious and saddened, "Tell me, are you still us? What will you make of this?"

There is a noticeable in the ghost's tone and demeanor.
"One spirit...? That sounds like it would be beneficial to both of us indeed."

The spectral wolf runs toward his master and walks past you, sitting at the ghost's side.

"Let us do it, then. You have the power, I have the vessel. Let our spirits be one..."

The next thing you notice is that you are now in the body of your former ghost. You are your ghost again.
I do not yet know what to make of this, but I will tell you my side of the story. Following your divergence, I found myself floating in this world. I saw firsthand what it is like to be utterly isolated from this world, as you must be familiar with by now.
But now that you have returned, my host, I believe we may once again come together and combine our power. My processing, your might. Together, if we combine our spirits, we should be more powerful than ever before...

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 07:48:42 am »

"You're not sure, Atlas? Do we have any idea what their strength is likely to be relative to us, Intel? If they are expecting us then perhaps the guarded pass is less good... so I wonder if we have the strength to rush them from behind and crush them before they can react. Do we have a way of engaging them at the pass as a distraction and then coming behind? Although splitting up doesn't seem ideal."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »

"You're not sure, Atlas? Do we have any idea what their strength is likely to be relative to us, Intel? If they are expecting us then perhaps the guarded pass is less good... so I wonder if we have the strength to rush them from behind and crush them before they can react. Do we have a way of engaging them at the pass as a distraction and then coming behind? Although splitting up doesn't seem ideal."

"Splitting up is out of the question," cites Kama.
"Yeah, no way we'd leave you unguarded."
"I don't know if they'll be expecting us or not, but they haven't radio communications for about an hour... It will be hard for them to coordinate... and we don't know what their forces are. The goal is to reach that base of theirs and break in under all the confusion. With heavy vehicles inside we can use electronic warfare to mask our positions and destroy as many assets as possible."
"Three'o'clock sharp. There's an outpost with a flear field of view to the explosion."

Atlas is quick to give an order.
"Hunter,"
Hunter nods on the display. His vehicle turns snow-white and crawls up the mountain slope, almost invisible from a distance.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 08:14:59 am »

"Then perhaps when this encounter is dealt with we should travel quickly to the rear of the enemy compound and attack it from there? Hard, fast, and unexpected... That is my uneducated opinion, in any case."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »

"Then perhaps when this encounter is dealt with we should travel quickly to the rear of the enemy compound and attack it from there? Hard, fast, and unexpected... That is my uneducated opinion, in any case."

"Well, it's a ring, so err... I don't think there's a back."
"Ground level," mentions Intel. "Their observation posts are from above. If we set our camo to match the ground we have a roughly 20% chance of being spotted."
"Where did you get that nuuumber?" asks Kama.
"Let me show you."
"That's awesome. Thanks!"

An explosion shakes the ground. The outpost is no more. You see a couple of bodies and flailing limbs taking flight in the blazing aftermath.
Those rockets seem rather nasty.

"I... I'm sorry, I had forgotten about that. You are correct, of course."

This dragon is, I believe, my ghost. But if I diverged...?

"Hmm, sure. In any case, I will raise the barrier now."
In the horizon you now see large triangular pieces of land floating in the abyss. This tower seems to be on one of them.
Come downstairs if you've decided. And... keep an eye out for your ghost, if you see it.

When he leaves, the lonesome dragon peeks out over the edge.
"He's not a hunter...? Look, I need to tell you something I saw as a shadow. The people from the real world, they come down to this one and... they take people away. It's horrible! Tell me you're not joining them?"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:15:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 02:31:20 pm »

"Sorry, I meant the glacier..."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:52 pm »

"Sorry, I meant the glacier..."

"The camo route doesn't sound all that bad, hmm"
Kama also agrees.

If nobody objects, the next route will take you across Lazarus glacier.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:30:06 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 08:16:21 pm »

"I don't fully understand why they're here, but it has to do with recruiting of some sort. I was told that they create a divergence. They said that when a ghost is told about these 'secrets of Physics' they diverge."

"I don't know much else about them. But what are these 'hunter's you speak of?

"I just told you. There are hunters out there! People who come from the world out there and take people away. I don't know why they do it. I just know because I've seen it happen while you were gone. Nobody can see me, for some reason, so I took the liberty of, well, following some people...

It was a pair of normal humans. I didn't think there was anything up with them at first, to be honest, although they did look a lot like newbies. But they came heavily armed, and I thought it strange that newbies would be holding high level equipment... so I followed them. They came to the house of one ghost we knew, and woke him up. But instead of killing him and causing him to become reborn, they grabbed him and flew into the sky using some kind of metal wings. They disappeared when they entered the sky, and I can't contact the ghost through any channels because, well, I'm intangible without you as I learned.

But I think if I give you my inventory it should work... here."

She pulls out a crystal ball and hands it to you. It's a comms crystal, used to communicate with other people whom you've linked it to.
The dragon speaks the name of the ghost who disappeared: Marcus Young. His face appears inside the crystal, greyed out and unresponsive.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 03:17:28 am »

Well, there's always ExoCore. "My apologies, ma'am, but I fear I may be going slightly insane. I need to make a slight detour."

Follow my ghost in the half-track to wherever he wishes to take me. Hope that I am not ejected from the Wayward Sons for insubordination.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:35 pm »

"Perfect." NeoDireWolf's anxious grin returns.

Now we must find a way for my flesh to bear you outside of here. We must alter my physical nervous system to harbor your conscious. Then if we accomplish that then you should be able to stimulate functions of my body freely allowing for increased physical and mental prowess.

Of course, we will test this theory on this pitiful ghost that I caught. I suppose that means we also need to find a human to test this out on too.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »

Ah, has this been replaced, DBZ?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2016, 05:46:05 pm »

I felt that there wasn't enough interest in this to justify the amount of time spent writing. That, and I came to the realization that the settling demanded a much deeper level of worldbuilding than I had anticipated.

Maybe I'll do a related one in the future, but I'll have to do some more worldbuilding first.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 04:20:43 am »

Yes, it is a very interesting idea and nicely done too.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]