Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)  (Read 8004 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 4 (12/28/2015)
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2016, 05:53:00 am »

"Uh, apologies ma'am. I seem to have been thinking out loud there. I hope you didn't hear anything too odd in that."

They said my ghost had vanished as apposed to a normal divergence, so that is the result of it I guess. I should trek carefully to not alert the instructor, but I must know what that is about.

Get in the drivers seat, and try to slowly move in the direction of my ghost. Move slow enough that the instructor does not notice.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 4 (12/28/2015)
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2016, 06:25:48 am »

Roll 5

"This... is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you."

If I can, leave the Divergents and go to Meat Factory.

The door is wide open. You leave--a female clerk shouts "Come again!" as you pass the threshold. Looking back, you realize that there are no female clerks present in the lobby, although there is a woman descending the stairs you came from.

In the Meat Factory building you discover a contorted hall of mirrors, reflecting your figure walking in multiple directions. You notice that one of the reflections, off in the distance, is acting strangely.
"The building has been crossed," it says, in your voice, then walks up.
"This one seems to lack lack awareness. He is a flesh torn between too worlds, unable to discern fact from fiction. But what is fiction? Is it a thought?"
It looks you straight in the eye.
"How can thoughts be fiction when the only thing one can be sure of is his thoughts?"

You feel a draft coming from a staircase a few meters ahead. The staircase appears to be levitating, but cuts off after a certain distance, as if obscured by a wall.

Neil wondered whether he could find anything in what the man said to be a compliment. He didn't think so. Not going by the way he said it. Oh well...

Drive the tank a bit. Listen to the man's instructions. Drive it a bit more - better! Also shoot.

((all presuming doing so won't kill or maim anything...))

The controls lock up as you fire.
"Not in here!" the ghost shouts. He removes his cigar and puffs an orb of smoke toward one end of the hangar. The door opens slowly, revealing a purple dawn and a dim red sun hanging over the horizon, amidst a plain of endless ice. You can see mountains in the distance.
"Over there. The outside."

Something does not seem right about the controls as you move the tank along the designated path. They feel... cold. It's not a feeling you are used to on everyday equipment. Usually no tool feels cold unless something is wrong, but perhaps here in the real world...
Then again, you were one standing inside a building. How are you even in this hangar?

"I'll have some drones set up the dummies."
An entourage of treaded drones rolls out from both sides of the hangars, each carrying dummies made from a form of plastic. They stand them outside to create a sort of impromptu firing range. Several other tanks roll up past you and take up a position to fire already.

Uh, do whatever they want me to. Inquire as what to do.

You put the headset on?

The feeling you get is one of being yanked out of the real world and being shoved back into the network. But instead of your old self you are stuck with your weak, physical body. Knocked to the (virtual) floor, you see darkness all around, and you sit atop an obsidian tower. Stars slowly come into view, as do brighter stars with names by them: planets.

You hear a slithering sound coming from below the tower floor which you stand on. There is a stairwell leading into the darkness, but it is unlit.

"Uh, apologies ma'am. I seem to have been thinking out loud there. I hope you didn't hear anything too odd in that."

They said my ghost had vanished as apposed to a normal divergence, so that is the result of it I guess. I should trek carefully to not alert the instructor, but I must know what that is about.

Get in the drivers seat, and try to slowly move in the direction of my ghost. Move slow enough that the instructor does not notice.

Driving Instructor: Hmm, alright. Oh! I see that you know how to drive it. Good, that just means...
A drone lifts off from the top of the halftrack, rising into the air and setting a couple of holographic traffic cones ahead of you.
Driving Instructor: Just drive along the course.

It seems an easy course, so you'll get a +1 to actually following the course.

But the retreating horseman seems an issue. It looks like the drone can't see him, or else the instructor would talk.
Sir Exarch stops his horse, and slowly returns to your vehicle after he sees you aren't fully committing.

"For shame. We have been together all this time. What is the matter? Do you not trust your own self?" he exhales a white vapor. The terrain around you is an icy plane, although for whatever reason the sky is black. You can still see the ground quite easily as if it were evening.
"But it seems I cannot yet take things into my own hands. So I ask of you: come with me, that we may discover a means to bring ourselves back together."

"So... Am I just snagging someone?"

Descend to the edge of the forest area to start hunting ghosts.

"Indeed. And I must say," it remarks as you descend. He yells from the portal.
"I like the way you think."

The girl seems to stay behind and doesn't follow you.

As you descend upon the world below, you identify a lone ghost wandering the shrubberies of the forest. This is near the edge of the plane, where the canopy is not so thick as to obscure sight.
Landing in the dark forest beneath a pitch black, sunless sky, you take up a stealthed position as you plot your next move.

[15] The situation is as follows:
>You identify three ghosts total.
-->One is your initial target. It appears to be of a magus archetype, meaning the ghost wears a pointed hat and robe characteristic of the Magus school of learning. Said school places heavy emphasis on the gathering of essences and samples from unknown lands, which is what this ghost appears to be doing. That implies he is not of the local region.
-->One is also located along the edge of the forest. It appears as nothing more than a dark silhouette, dashing from tree to tree and eventually fading from view. You believe you saw black winds and a cape on it.
-->One is located further toward the edge of the forest plane. You think you spot fishing gear leading out into the abyss, as well as a pile of chests near the ghost's site. Clearly, he is fishing for worldfish that wander the sea between planes.

>The forest contains ample cover. You will have a +2 to entering/re-entering stealth and evading
>The forest will make it easy to cover your tracks, giving -2 to enemies tracking you, but also -2 to yourself tracking someone you have lost sight of
>You have no weapons, so the goal seems to be to bring a ghost back alive. Your wings may be strong enough to drag one back to the portal
>The forest up ahead is getting thicker and the trees are getting taller. You see swarms of glowing creatures floating through the air, most originating from deeper within the forest. There are also single isolated glowing creatures, as well as a few birds with long, barbed tails

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 5 (1/1/2016)
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2016, 12:17:00 pm »

"Okay, I'm ready for the command. Any advice?"

Wait for the word to go and start firing on the targets from right to left, and also practice driving and firing if possible.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

((How does magic work. IF I grab this mage is he gonna speak some magic words and blast me with a spell?))
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »

((How does magic work. IF I grab this mage is he gonna speak some magic words and blast me with a spell?))

Familiar with these sorts of acts, you know that so long as you can keep him from speaking and making hand motions, you are safe. You were never told about your vulnerabilities in this half-human, half-ghost form that you are in though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:25:46 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2016, 04:59:38 pm »

Knee the mage in the back of the head and fly him back up the the facility.

Tell me, can you hear me from down here?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:24:01 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:51 pm »

Familiar with these sorts of acts, you know that so long as you can keep him from speaking and making hand motions, you are safe. You were never told about your vulnerabilities in this half-human, half-ghost form that you are in though.
((Speaking and hand motions, or speaking or hand motions? Are both needed, or either one?))

((It depends on the spell, but words are always required. hand motions are only required for certain spells, mainly ones that require a direction. Omnidirectional ones don't always require motions))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 05:37:11 am »

Roll 6

Knee the mage in the back of the head and fly him back up the the facility.

Tell me, can you hear me from down here?

[10 vs 10] Already in stealth, naturally, you approach the magical ghost from behind, outside of his field of view. However, the glowing orbs around him begin to flash different colors.
Mage: My, what colors! What? There is danger afoot?
He begins scanning his surroundings, forcing you to crawl in the brush. Eventually he stops scanning--in a direction different from your own.
[2 vs 2] During your second attempt, the motes and faeries grow more and more restless as you get closer. The magus is, however, now conditioned to ignore them seeing as there was no danger. By simply avoiding him and baiting the orbs into signaling danger more often, you are able to make him ignore them outright.

He is trying to catch them, after all. Odd how they would signal danger to him like that...

[16 vs 3 -> +1 Ambusher skill] During your third approach, the orbs grow furious. But unfortunately the magus does not react to them this time, and you are able to safely deliver a blow to the target's head. [12] Your wings can carry him easily, though you suffer a small penalty to your flight speed.

[2 vs 11] As you prepare to fly though, you find that you've been caught in an ambush of your own. Black webs and tendrils emerge from your surroundings and wrap themselves around your body. You would be stuck now.
...[14] If you weren't able to just walk out of it effortlessly. The tendrils slip away. This is a rather high-end psyche ability called "Dark Snare", so you aren't entirely sure how you were able to walk out of it so easily. The figure behind you, dressed in hussar wings and bearskin garb, shouts in frustration, and a spectral wolf in the distance howls indignantly.

"Curse everything! Tell me, what did you do? Why am I but a phantasm?"

...'Asmodel' descends upon stairs from the portal in the sky, which has moved much closer than it was before. He is simply your reflection this time, although his dress matches your ghost's former wear. He also keeps his odd eye.
"Most curious. I will take the magus into our chambers shortly, but this... this is something I have never seen happen, though I've theorized it to be possible..."
The angel vanishes from existence, as does the magus you just knocked out.

"Okay, I'm ready for the command. Any advice?"

Wait for the word to go and start firing on the targets from right to left, and also practice driving and firing if possible.

[16 -> +1 Gunnery skill] You shoot rather well! You drop the targets closest to your front with relative ease, missing only a few times. The man/ghost called Ares speaks to you through the vehicle radio, presumably to compliment you on your fine aiming skills--
"You seem to control the targeting computer well enough," he mentions. "I can't really say the same for the others."

The other tanks are four in total: two heavy tanks like your own, one light tank with jump jets, and one medium tank hunter with a low profile and a salvo of rockets instead of a turret.
They didn't seem to do so well from what you can tell. There are many craters in the ground past their targets, wheras all of your shots at least hit the board and thus fragmented.
"Alight, weapons locked for now. Let the drones clean up."

The drones do clean up, rather meticulously in fact, disguising the fact that there were ever craters in the ground by sprinkling them with artificial snow. "They'll cover your tracks and follow your advance, you can hide them in your chassis if you like. Call on them for repairs if you get damaged." says Ares.

"I apologize for the rush, but we have to roll out soon. The ExoCore satellite is just about to pass from our field of view. They use beamed communications so we can't intercept their communications, but they can intercept ours with the satellite. However, once the satellite passes we have about an hour to move without them being able to react on a strategic level."

I look down at the stairs, then study the stars and planets, seeing if they're familiar to me. Then, I look around and see if I can find any sources of light. Either way, go down the stairs, but try to remember which way the light was if I saw it.

These stars and planets seem... familiar, though you're not sure where this feeling of deja-vu is coming from. The network doesn't have 'stars,' per se, but rather 'planes,' which are organized in a 3D patchwork of connections. They can be flown between, along with the associated dangers, but the actual work is a dark abyss to your knowledge. This... is different. Something about it feels alive.

[2] You have no sources of light with you aside from the stars. The tower is, however, ambiently lit quite well. The same cannot be said of its interior, though you should easily be able to find your way back by just going up.
You descend the stairs and stare face-first into the maws of a great and horrifying monst--wait, you recognize it. She is a dragon, over two meters in length, with razor-like limbs and claws, and a set of spindly, almost skeletal wings. It seems to be clinging to the wall, and inspects your face before speaking.

"Oh, it's me."

You see torchlight coming from further down the stairs, accompanied by only a single set of footsteps. The stairwell is devoid of hiding places, but the dragon is able to cling to the walls and ceiling. You could perhaps count on the figure not noticing you if he is wearing a hood.
Outside, the chances of hiding are more realistic. You could scale down the edge of the tower, and perhaps hide in a window. It is of fairly low-tech construction, with simplistic fortifications and a complete lack of guard rails.

"This... is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you."

If I can, leave the Divergents and go to Meat Factory.

The door is wide open. You leave--a female clerk shouts "Come again!" as you pass the threshold. Looking back, you realize that there are no female clerks present in the lobby, although there is a woman descending the stairs you came from.

In the Meat Factory building you discover a contorted hall of mirrors, reflecting your figure walking in multiple directions. You notice that one of the reflections, off in the distance, is acting strangely.
"The building has been crossed," it says, in your voice, then walks up.
"This one seems to lack lack awareness. He is a flesh torn between too worlds, unable to discern fact from fiction. But what is fiction? Is it a thought?"
It looks you straight in the eye.
"How can thoughts be fiction when the only thing one can be sure of is his thoughts?"

You feel a draft coming from a staircase a few meters ahead. The staircase appears to be levitating, but cuts off after a certain distance, as if obscured by a wall.

Driving Instructor: Hmm, alright. Oh! I see that you know how to drive it. Good, that just means...
A drone lifts off from the top of the halftrack, rising into the air and setting a couple of holographic traffic cones ahead of you.
Driving Instructor: Just drive along the course.

It seems an easy course, so you'll get a +1 to actually following the course.

But the retreating horseman seems an issue. It looks like the drone can't see him, or else the instructor would talk.
Sir Exarch stops his horse, and slowly returns to your vehicle after he sees you aren't fully committing.

"For shame. We have been together all this time. What is the matter? Do you not trust your own self?" he exhales a white vapor. The terrain around you is an icy plane, although for whatever reason the sky is black. You can still see the ground quite easily as if it were evening.
"But it seems I cannot yet take things into my own hands. So I ask of you: come with me, that we may discover a means to bring ourselves back together."

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:48:56 am by _DivideByZero_ »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 6 (1/3/2016)
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »

"Okay, well, I'm ready to go when the rest of the team is."

Get en route to the target!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 06:06:03 am »

Well, I'm here for a reason. Though it seems I'd better hide.

Test my wings to see if I can fly, though I probably can't. Try to climb down the tower, just far enough to be out of sight. Wait until I think the person's come up, and then try to figure out what they're doing without them noticing me. If they do see me, try to scare them.

The dragon moves as you consider hiding, dragging you along! You grab onto its body, putting a great strain on its shoulders as it attaches itself to the walls with its claws.
The dragon is capable of flight, although not with a person hanging on. You know this much.

The person emerges from the flight of stairs. Dressed in a multicolored cape, with many flashing lights resembling circuitry, and a suit of matte plate armor that's hardly visible in the night, he seems equipped for combat.
"Hmmph," the person/ghost begins. "I thought you wished to know more about our worlds. I know you are there. This is the Emphatic Peak, where the neural substrate is linked such that emotions and feelings bleed through to those nearby! Though really, I am surprised to feel your emotions as well. As a mere spectre in this virtual space, you do not possess a neural substrate... I am Philemon, by the way.

I am a divergent ghost working for the organization. You can come out now, it is not like I can hurt you."

He begins patrolling the edge of the tower. The dragon whispers to you: "Who... what are these... divergent? Are you... am I... are we supposed to be meeting him?"

"Okay, well, I'm ready to go when the rest of the team is."

Get en route to the target!

You form a tank column moving along the wastelands. Ares cuts out, saying your fellow squadmates know the mission well enough. If you stay in radio contact with the base, there is a chance ExoCore will discover the operation. Meanwhile, using short-range comms only, you are basically ghosts. Hmm, there's that word again.

The squadmates introduce themselves along the way. The first, one of the Heavy Tank drivers, introduces herself as Kamacite. She takes on the appearance, in your communication window, of a scarlet-haired girl with astonishingly large eyes. The background of the window appears dark, and you can't see the tank interior from the camera feed.
"Pleased to meet you! You don't need to worry too much about us. Just watch your own back, we'll make sure you're alright. Awesome?"

The next squadmate wears a black mask and goggles, with white hair trailing down to reach his shoulders. He drives the light tank with the jump jets.
"Name's Intel. Job is intel and recon. You can thank me later."
"Hey!" Kamacite interjects. "This could be the last time one of us meets a flesh-and-blood human. So make your this intro count!"
There is no further response from Intel.

The third squadmate buts in. He is the one piloting the low-profile tank hunter. He looks rather normal on the feed, brown-haired, with yellow eyes that glow with microcircuitry.
"Well, I'm called Hunter. But I picked the role after my name, not the name after the role. Intel's a freak."

The last squadmate, a gruff man man with a bit of stubble and short, curled hair, calls himself Atlas before shouting out, "Hostiles at two'o'clock! Weapons sharp. Neil, you take 'em out. It's good practice."

He diverts your attention to what looks like a drill rig manned by three infantrymen, as you can tell by the rifles they have slung on their backs. They haven't noticed the vehicle column yet, and the distance is about 600 meters. Your interface paints them as targets, and zooms in on their uniforms' ExoCore insignas.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 01:32:31 pm »

Sorry, guys, I'm gonna have to drop out. I'm too busy right now.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 05:34:20 pm »

"A real flesh and blood human? You're not?"

Open fire on the enemy!

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »

When Asmodel is done look through data.

I feel like I have lost something.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 03:48:40 am »

((Sorry to have you go.))

Roll 7

"Uh... I guess so."

Reveal myself! And introduce myself if asked to.

"That was very unkind of you!" says the blinged-out Divergent. "But thank you for cooperating."
He holds out his arm toward the sky, which glows and emits tendrils of numbers and strings tearing through the networkspace. They reach into the the sky, bringing down a few of the stars you see and removing them from the celestial sphere.

"This is Sirius," he begins, holding a blue-white globe above his palm. "It was once the brightest star in man's sky. But now it is one of many Brightest Stars, for we live on many worlds..."
He brings down another. This one is a red-orange star with a few pinpoints of light circling around it. Looking closer, you see they are globes, incliding one which is a glaciated world, much like...
"This is our star. The real universe, as real flesh and blood sees it, is very different from what you see in the network. Rather than scattered worldplanes separated by miniscule distances, astronomically speaking, the real universe is composed of vast oceans of nothingness, interspersed with rare islands of light as you see here.

Man sought an answer to why the world is so large and yet humans are so small. To fill in the gaps, man created a world of his own, far smaller. Small enough to fill."

He zooms in on the snow-covered globe.
"This planet is in its infancy, as is our star. Every year, ultraviolet flares scorch the surface clean of all simple lifeforms, including the microbes we introduce in a vain effort at terraforming. We of the Wayward Sons of our ancestors take pity upon those who live on, unaware of our hopeless situation in the real world."

He points to you.
"These terms may be unheard of to one such as yourself, because. But I, as one who diverged, am given access to this knowledge, as are the rest of those who diverge and join our ranks, people of all kinds, both flesh and machine. If you join us, you too shall be versed in the secrets of Physics.
But of course, these secrets come at a great price. One you know the truth, it is unlikely you will be able to visit the network without constant supervision. You will not be allowed to spend much time with those other than your recruitment targets, for the the knowledge of the real world is like a forbidden fruit: once a ghost perceives the fundamental secrets of a universe more nuanced and sublime than the one Man has created, he cannot help but use his superior computational faculties to advance ahead of his human host. When that happens..."

He makes the motion of two fists separating from each other. "There is a divergence."

"A real flesh and blood human? You're not?"

Open fire on the enemy!

[10] Your aim, though spectacular whilst holding position, leaves much to be desired on the move. Three shots pass the infantrymen without harm; one blast knocks down the drilling rig, sending shards flying and causing some electrical arcs to fly before releasing a deluge of black smoke from the generator.

Two of them run away from the wreckage; the other takes refuge within the black clouds, hoping the smoke will protect him from machine gun fire.

Speaking of which, Intel points out that your vehicle has a machine gun. It would me more efficient to use its rapid-fire heated shrapnel shells to deal with infantry, rather than waste explosive ammunititon.

When Asmodel is done look through data.

I feel like I have lost something.

"Indeed you have! Do you even recognize me?!"
The bearskin-garbed winged hussar attempts to shake your body by the shoulders, but he passes right through. The spectral wolf, in the distance, attempts to catch a nearby mouse-like creature dashing from log to log, but it is unable to do so.

"It seems we have stumbled upon two ghosts. I will let you experiment with both of them, but first you must subdue the other."

The other ghost looks distraught.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 7 (1/6/2016)
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 07:53:52 am »

"Ah yes... Thank you. I'll not get too close as I'm unaware what kind of anti-armour equipment infantry might have on this planet... Can you fill me in on that, Intel?"

Approach, but not too close, and use the machine gun. Then drive up to inspect the area, unless instructed not to do so, in which case drive on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5