Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System  (Read 33443 times)

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
Re: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »

Unfortunately, at least according to my first pass, it looks like only Immortality will get historical figures to seek out secrets on their own initiative. Also, for some reason, my 1050-year worldgen with many civilizations doesn't seem to have produced any widely-read slabs, although that may be due to technical difficulties preventing me from finding them.

The fact that the Secrets of Life and Death tend to be duplicated twenty times over or so during worldgen makes me wonder if it would help to have multiple copies of the same secret in the raws.

Also fun: it turns out that any creature with innate supernatural knowledge of a secret can write a slab on it. I found a slab about the secrets of fire written by a dragon.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:08:42 pm by GregHayes »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »

Now the big question: If a creature acquires a secret during fort mode (naturally or otherwise), can they write it down during gameplay?  And can other fort members read their book and learn the secret as well?  Moreover, can a visiting scholar teach a class on a secret they know?

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 06:48:17 pm »

Where in the raws would I add new secrets? I found the example secrets folder, but I don't think that is correct.
You could put it into the interaction_standard.txt file, since that already has some interactions in it.
My initial test didn't show any historical figure-written spellbooks for the secrests of fire, but it only showed two or three historical figure-written spellbooks for the secrets of life and death, so it's possible that 250 years just isn't long enough. I'm examining the results of a 1050-year worldgen now.
I wonder if the folks who learn the secrets just don't live long enough to get around to writing down their thoughts. The necromancers have the advantage of living forever without dying of old age.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:43:03 pm by thriggle »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 12:32:52 am »

You could put it into the interaction_standard.txt file, since that already has some interactions in it.
Normal practice with reactions, items etc is to create a separate text file with the appropriate headers. Not sure how that works with interactions though.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 12:35:58 am »

Normal practice with reactions, items etc is to create a separate text file with the appropriate headers. Not sure how that works with interactions though.
There are a number of finicky bits with interactions, but they do parse multiple files just fine so long as the filename and internal header are valid.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

Unfortunately, at least according to my first pass, it looks like only Immortality will get historical figures to seek out secrets on their own initiative. Also, for some reason, my 1050-year worldgen with many civilizations doesn't seem to have produced any widely-read slabs, although that may be due to technical difficulties preventing me from finding them.

The fact that the Secrets of Life and Death tend to be duplicated twenty times over or so during worldgen makes me wonder if it would help to have multiple copies of the same secret in the raws.

Also fun: it turns out that any creature with innate supernatural knowledge of a secret can write a slab on it. I found a slab about the secrets of fire written by a dragon.
try setting secrets to 0 in the advanced worldgen,if i recall correctly it will only affect the vanilla necromancy
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »

I think it's any megabeast with a relevant sphere. They can receive worship, and thus grant secrets to followers just like gods.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 02:56:28 pm »

It should be possible to create books containing any secret you like via DFHack. So a magic mod could have a DFHack powered reaction that consumes something rare (plus a blank book) and produces a book with a specific secret.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »

It should be possible to create books containing any secret you like via DFHack. So a magic mod could have a DFHack powered reaction that consumes something rare (plus a blank book) and produces a book with a specific secret.
Now the tricky but is if it can have no divine teaching or mundane research or mundane recording (meaning no vanilla method to learn the secret). Curious if the reaction would work as intended in worldgen.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:53 pm »

It would never work in worldgen, as worldgen would not be able to access the DFHack part that would actually make it work. In theory you could insert books with secrets into libraries during worldgen, but I don't remember how that may be done (someone (I forget who) figured out how to insert "artifacts", the principle would be the same).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »

I figured out a theoretical method which should allow you to insert the artifakes into world-gen since the script creates the right historical figure creation event links and such. You would need to add a way to pick figures to make them, and a way to have them spaced out through world-gen, I didn't get around to poking at it more but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »

Well, so long as all the parts are possible then the next time someone (who is not afraid to use DFHack) wants to make a magic system something can probably be worked out (for Masterwork?).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »

Well, I'll be updating my scripts and whatnot once I can work with dfhack, I'd be helping the structure/offset hunt if I wasn't so unstable due to swapping to a less-polished window manager/desktop environment (Plasma) to kill the tearing issues I was getting with KDE.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 09:09:14 pm »

necromancers seem to discover more than one secret..

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 01:17:19 pm »

hmm I was wondering with the idea of spheres if an adventurer megabeast of said sphere moves into a site will they give their secrets out?
is it even possible for adventurer megabeasts to give out secrets?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9