Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 10x10 farmplots?  (Read 3237 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
10x10 farmplots?
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »

Am I going insane, or can we now make 10x10 farmplots? I thought it was limited to 5x5?

...Why can we suddenly make 10x10 farmplots?

...Is this a foray into farming 'improvements'? Stuff us with so much food that we completely panic when soil quality and like come into play?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: 10x10 farmplots?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »

10 10 farmplots were always possible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »

You are, in fact, going insane.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:07:45 pm »

Really? How strange. I must've blocked it from my mind because there's absolutely no need for anything more than a 5x5 plot.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »

AFAIK, farm plots use the same system than building walls and hence 10x10 is the maximum.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:12 pm »

Really? How strange. I must've blocked it from my mind because there's absolutely no need for anything more than a 5x5 plot.

My 5x5 plot became insufficient before the end of my second year because all the foreigners were emptying my food stockpile.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 04:28:37 pm »

The problem with a 10x10 plot is that you can only plant one food type in it per season without lots of micromanagement, and it probably won't get fully suited before the season change. Smaller plots allow diversity which in turns makes for happier dwarves and easier farming.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 04:32:43 pm »

ive always used 4x4 plots possibly not enough anymore it seems.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »

16 plants growing at the same time is supposed to feed HOW many people?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »

Shameless plug lol...

I am making a mod that will make a 10x10 plot actually have a use. If you want a more challenging food system you might want to check it out!

Crimson Crops

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:10 am »

Really?  How do you manage it?  In my usual fort setup I have between 6 and 8 10x10 plots for underground food (2 plump helmet, 2 sweet pod, 2 cave wheat, a quarry bush and a dimple cap.  If 8, I add 1 more quarry bush and 1 more sweet pod) and sometimes 2 or 3 above ground as well.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 12:59:28 am »

If you have a handful of very skilled / legendary farmers instead of a legion of novice farmers, a small farm can produce an unreasonable amount of food.  That may have changed in the newest version, and I'm guessing that there is substantially more demand for brewable plants in the new version in general due to taverns.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 02:30:58 am »

Also aboveground crops are way more effective than dwarven crops.  Everything grows all year round and tenaciously.  The fiber crops especially are superior to pig tails. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 07:25:24 am »

Also aboveground crops are way more effective than dwarven crops.  Everything grows all year round and tenaciously.  The fiber crops especially are superior to pig tails.

Though I do find it a bit ironic that the above ground plants can grow year round regardless of season, while the underground plants are limited by the calendar.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 09:02:59 am »

If you have a handful of very skilled / legendary farmers instead of a legion of novice farmers, a small farm can produce an unreasonable amount of food.  That may have changed in the newest version

It hasn't.

and I'm guessing that there is substantially more demand for brewable plants in the new version in general due to taverns.

A bit more, depending on how many visitors you have.  It's not an order-of-magnitude difference or anything.

I don't know what the people with multiple 10x10 farm plots are doing.  It's completely beyond me.  You simply do not need that much farm space.

Even with complete noob farmers (dabbling Planter), 1 tile feeds and boozes 1 dwarf.  You get 3 plump helmet crops per tile per season.  Brew 1 into alcohol, and that's 5 units of booze and 2 units of food.  That supplies a dwarf's needs for the season.  With skilled Planters, a single tile feeds and boozes way more than 1 dwarf.

Add in additional food sources (caravans, hunted or slaughtered animals, gathered plants from the surface including tree droppings, cheese, eggs) and you basically only need to farm crops for alcohol and textiles, though personally I do grow and cook quarry bushes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2