Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 10x10 farmplots?  (Read 3233 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10x10 farmplots?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 04:32:57 pm »

Dorfs eat and drink more in 0.42.02 than in 0.40.24. The standard embark booze usually ran out during winter, but now runs out during late summer with a large summer migration wave, or early autumn with a small one. Add visitors (which I haven't had any, so far), and you'll need a bit more food and booze than before, but not huge amounts. Also, a new food source has been added (or rather, returned) in the form of beak dogs. I only caught a small portion of them in my first 0.42.02 fortress (shelved due to the absence of visitors), and I had beak dog stew/roast/... coming out of my ears. I appointed an X-bow dwarf who spent the time killing beak dogs with wooden arrows rather than training at the range, and the only down time was when the old target had expired (and sent to the butcher) and a new one was organized.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »

I havent had any trouble what so ever. Just embark with one skilled grower and brewer and add additional ones by each wave. Have them dedicated to only growing and brewing. Helps if you embark with a shitton of plump helmet seeds and little of everything else. Then just have it going constantly on a big plot. As the fort grows just add more plots and variation as you have dwarves to spare and things to trade for. Its really how I have always done things and it works just fine.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 07:27:28 pm »

Even with complete noob farmers (dabbling Planter), 1 tile feeds and boozes 1 dwarf.  You get 3 plump helmet crops per tile per season.  Brew 1 into alcohol, and that's 5 units of booze and 2 units of food.  That supplies a dwarf's needs for the season.  With skilled Planters, a single tile feeds and boozes way more than 1 dwarf.
???
How can anyone not take advantage of the many crops in DF? I know plump helmets grow twice as fast, but some variety is nice. My dwarves never drink the same booze twice.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »

They actually get bad thoughts from having the same food and drink...I tend to grow a large variety myself

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:06:26 pm »

Even with complete noob farmers (dabbling Planter), 1 tile feeds and boozes 1 dwarf.  You get 3 plump helmet crops per tile per season.  Brew 1 into alcohol, and that's 5 units of booze and 2 units of food.  That supplies a dwarf's needs for the season.  With skilled Planters, a single tile feeds and boozes way more than 1 dwarf.
???
How can anyone not take advantage of the many crops in DF? I know plump helmets grow twice as fast, but some variety is nice. My dwarves never drink the same booze twice.

I'm very dedicated to booze variety.  I make 2x2 farm plots (usually), and grow everything except dimple cups, staggering the crops to maximize the plant variety each season (except winter).  I also utilize above-ground plants, to varying extents based on the embark.

I just use the plump helmet growth rate as a baseline to explain how to roughly calculate the number of farm tiles you need.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 05:28:30 am »

I don't know what the people with multiple 10x10 farm plots are doing.  It's completely beyond me.  You simply do not need that much farm space.

I am pretty sure they do abandon their forts early. I made an experimental agricultural school with about 40 tiles strawberries once for a few years, now two decades later my dwarves still drink mainly strawberry wine... Hard not to notice, when you run with the setup for any length of time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:39:22 am by taptap »
Pages: 1 [2]