Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia jumping through fortifications again?  (Read 2114 times)

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia jumping through fortifications again?
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:22:06 pm »

Has anyone else seen instances of Militia managing to jump through Fortifications?

I had it happen yesterday, but I put it down to overly aggressive marksdwarves climbing the single layer wall of my motte & baily and going over the wall to get to the Goblins they could see. Today it happened again and appeared that they went through the wall, though they MAY have gone up two flights of stairs to do it. It's hard to tell. Beware your Marksdwarves safety again..

Possibly related, if you build a block wall on say layer 1. Then build walls above on the 2nd layer (with corresponding floor on layer 2). Then carve Fortifications on layer 1. Then decide to change the position of the walls on layer 2 to be extended over the top of layer 1 to get an overhang, wherever the Fortifications are, they now have no floor above.

In previous versions Walls that are built have the wall and the next higher level floor right?
Built Fortifications have just the wall segment with no next level floor.

It's almost as if Fortifications carved into built walls delete the corresponding floor on the next layer above.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia jumping through fortifications again?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »

Actually, I think it was always the case that built walls, by themselves, have no "floor" on them.

Or rather, they have it in the sense that dwarves can walk on them, but not in the sense of preventing diagonal pathing. For that, you need to add a real floor on top (at least that's how it was in .40).
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:21 pm »

Hmm. I'm not sure about that. In this case they're definitely dodging through the fortifications however. I just restarted at the same point the second goblin invasion shows up. And I had a major bout of 'lets all dodge through the walls' mass suicide.

They do seem safer when atop a 5 z level high archer tower. They are NOT jumping through the overhang slit if there is one and the Goblin Archers seem disinclined to shoot back at range. Seems like one needs to put fortifications MUCH higher from a given opponent to keep the user's safe.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:35:23 pm »

That walls should be unsafe from diagonal pathing is news to me. It used to be that carved fortifications were safe as well, while built ones were floor-less.

However, it could be that fortification top floors are lost on carving if they are covered on top. The logic could be the same as for obsidianizing a staircase in magma, where the floor disappears when the staircase above is removed, but a floor is generated if the staircase above is removed before the obsidianization.

I've had dorfs dodging through walls in 0.40.24.

I thought X-bow dorfs could target only +/- 3 z levels?

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

PTW

Also, I had no idea about this. Can anyone confirm this? If it's true I need a massive overhaul of my walls...

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:43:45 am »

I've had dorfs dodging through walls in 0.40.24.

I had half my milita pop through the fortress walls in was I've never seen. It was bad.

As to heigh, they were definately shooting 5z levels down at the last gobbo after the rest had been killed in round two after I save reloaded. After sorting out that goblin invasion i set the fortress to reworking the embrasures to higher levels on overhangling towers.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:50:33 am »

even if i had floors above my fortifications and the floors they were standing on they still somehow managed to jump through the fortifications into the 5tile wide moat. i just dont rely on their judgement anymore

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 10:35:49 am »

i just dont rely on their judgement anymore
The first mistake you made was trusting their judgment to begin with.  :)

With alcohol actually having an effect on how dwarves act and feel, I think we have even less reason to trust them.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:50 pm »

It's always been possible since jumping was added to be able to jump through fortification. Same applies to dodging AFAIK
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 09:10:49 pm »

A stopgap measure is to have them defend a burrow that's defined as the top of the wall, rather than having them stationed up there. If I remember right, soldiers won't leave their assigned burrow no matter what, unless given a direct order otherwise.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 03:31:15 pm »

A stopgap measure is to have them defend a burrow that's defined as the top of the wall, rather than having them stationed up there. If I remember right, soldiers won't leave their assigned burrow no matter what, unless given a direct order otherwise.
they will still jump through eventually

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:37:09 am »

Yey Im not the onlly one with this problem
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.