Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So is there any reason to not turn a meeting hall into a tavern!?  (Read 6243 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: So is there any reason to not turn a meeting hall into a tavern!?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 06:02:39 pm »

In reply to the thread title:

apparently, one. To prevent vampiric guests from feasting on your dwarves

A vampire feasting in a busy tavern hall is going to be absolutely hammered by the time he leabes.

In both senses
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 06:25:18 pm »

Two reasons not to have a tavern:

1.) Poetsplsion.

2.) Broker trying to SOCIALIZE! instead of trading like he should be.

EDIT: Oops. Hit save before finished writing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:27:42 pm by Darkwood71 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:16 pm »

I've never understood why people leave the "Only broker can trade" option on.  Life is so much easier when you just let the nearest dwarf trade.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:01:55 am »

Two reasons not to have a tavern:

1.) Poetsplsion.

2.) Broker trying to SOCIALIZE! instead of trading like he should be.

EDIT: Oops. Hit save before finished writing.

I solved my poetslopsion with military force. They should not have sung the "Hi-HO" song

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:15:43 am »

Okay, let me see if I got this right:

1. Place tables and chairs.
2. Open q menu.
3. Create dining hall from table.
4. Designate dining hall to be a meeting hall as well.
5. Close q menu.
6. Place booze stockpile and empty coffers in dining/meeting hall.
7. Designate dining/meeting hall as tavern with l menu.
8. Assign tavernkeepers and mugs also from l menu.

THAT should work, right? Also, is there any way to control the quality and material of mugs used in a particular tavern?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 10:30:23 am »

2. Open q menu.

No.  You're confusing meeting hall and meeting area.

2. Open q menu.
3. Create dining room from table.
4. ESC out, open i menu.
5. Create a meeting area (zone) that overlays the entire dining/tavern space.
6. Assign the meeting area (not the dining room!) to a tavern.  (It helps to think of the tavern as a Brand Name, not a physical space.  It only becomes a physical space when you associate the tavern's brand with a meeting area or a dining room or a bedroom.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:29 am »

2. Open q menu.
5. Close q menu.
6. Place booze stockpile and empty coffers in dining/meeting hall.
7. Designate dining/meeting hall as tavern with l menu.
8. Assign tavernkeepers and mugs also from l menu.

THAT should work, right? Also, is there any way to control the quality and material of mugs used in a particular tavern?

Don't even bother making the dining hall from the table. Dwarves will still eat in the tavern if there are tables, chairs and your food stockpile is close. I usually put a smaller food stockpile inside the tavern meeting area too.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:16 am »

Don't even bother making the dining hall from the table.

That's interesting.  If you skip the dining room step, do you lose the "She is content dining in a legendary dining room" thoughts?

Dwarves will still eat in the tavern if there are tables, chairs and your food stockpile is close.

Indeed, dwarves will eat at any chair that isn't part of a room owned by someone else.  This is a pain in the ass, typically, when you want to send them into the big fancy tavern but they choose the library instead.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 10:53:03 am »

That's interesting.  If you skip the dining room step, do you lose the "She is content dining in a legendary dining room" thoughts?

Oh true! They might. I wonder if they have a similar thoughts for eating/drinking in a legendary tavern. I might make my taverns with adjoining dining rooms now that are strictly for citizens/residents. Though I don't know if I will worry so much about the loss of that thought anyway because the positive thoughts they get from being around performances constantly more than makes up for the loss of dining room contentment.

Dwarves will still eat in the tavern if there are tables, chairs and your food stockpile is close.

Indeed, dwarves will eat at any chair that isn't part of a room owned by someone else.  This is a pain in the ass, typically, when you want to send them into the big fancy tavern but they choose the library instead.

I was fearful of this problem too, but it doesn't seem to come up. If you have plenty of free seats in your tavern and the food stockpile is closer to your tavern (and something's gone wrong if your food is closer to your library than your tavern) they seem to eat in it exclusively. This might be an emergent property of how some people happen to layout their fortresses. But I dunno. Everything in my tavern seems to work as intended with the sole exception of instruments.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 11:30:05 am »

No.  You're confusing meeting hall and meeting area.

2. Open q menu.
3. Create dining room from table.
4. ESC out, open i menu.
5. Create a meeting area (zone) that overlays the entire dining/tavern space.
6. Assign the meeting area (not the dining room!) to a tavern.  (It helps to think of the tavern as a Brand Name, not a physical space.  It only becomes a physical space when you associate the tavern's brand with a meeting area or a dining room or a bedroom.)
Alright, will do.

Don't even bother making the dining hall from the table. Dwarves will still eat in the tavern if there are tables, chairs and your food stockpile is close. I usually put a smaller food stockpile inside the tavern meeting area too.
I'd rather play it safe and make sure my dwarfs get happy thoughts from legendary dining rooms.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 12:06:44 pm »

so if you have a meeting hall designated from a statue garden or a well, and its not a taven, do dwarves still hang out there and admire things?  (assuming there is a sufficient tavern elsewhere).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:08:23 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]