Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So is there any reason to not turn a meeting hall into a tavern!?  (Read 6237 times)

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Taverns make my dwarves happy and bring an influx of new npcs into my base.  Is there any reason why I would have a regular meeting hall other than I guess if you want a private no outsiders meeting space?

I love the changes im just trying to wrap my head around things and how I want to use the new features.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: So is there any reason to not turn a meeting hall into a tavern!?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:21:28 am »

If you think about it, it's a little odd to have something that's JUST a meeting hall. Having great taverns makes more sense for a lot of races. Especially considering the relative poverty of nobles/guild leaders. It would be cool to require council chambers once a fort becomes mountainhome or something.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:11 am »

Even if you want to keep out the outsiders, that's an option in the tavern/library/temple restrictions.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:15 pm »

Gameplaywise: not really at all, AFAIK.

Obviously, some things just aren't taverns, temples or libraries. Mostly RP.
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:52 pm »

Another thread mentioned the problem of a tavern keeper not doing his job when attached to a meeting hall based tavern. Overlaying the meeting hall with a tavern zone solved that problem, but chests and stuff in them were counted double. Removing the table forming the base of the meeting hall removed the double count, if I understood it correctly. Haven't yet tried it myself, but I've never seen my tavern keeper serve anything...

Edit: Removing the anchor table from the zone does nothing, but removing the chests removes the item duplication. Haven't yet seen if the tavern keeper starts to work, though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:43:13 pm by PatrikLundell »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »

Another thread mentioned the problem of a tavern keeper not doing his job when attached to a meeting hall based tavern.

You have it backwards.  It requires a meeting area to work.  A tavern created from a dining room, without a meeting area assigned, doesn't put tavern keepers to work.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »

If you have no meeting hall, idle dwarves and livestock cluster around your wagon, or where your wagon would be.

Early on, I'll designate a large grassy area outside as a meeting hall so idle livestock have a large grazing area and won't get annoyed from being too close to one another.  That is simpler than assigning a large zone as a pasture and individually pasturing animals there.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »

@greycat: I'm afraid I don't have it backwards. You can't create a dining hall based tavern without first making the table a meeting area. The tread claimed that still wasn't sufficient, and that you needed to create a meeting area based on a zone as well. It didn't work for me, though, as my innkeeper still just simulates instruments and socializes. I suspect my attempt at a quantum booze stockpile might be the cause (people drink OK, but I've never seen any serving).

@Bouchart: You created a meeting ZONE outside (which I tend to do as well, early on), but you didn't create a meeting HALL, i.e. a dining room (based on a table) set to be a meeting area as well. It's really messy with areas based both on furniture and zones...

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:09:22 pm »

Hmm what are inn keepers supposed to do?  Mine has no other jobs and he socializes and bullshits like most innkeeps would.  I assume hes supposed to serve booze and thats the issue? 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 03:05:03 pm »

@greycat: I'm afraid I don't have it backwards. You can't create a dining hall based tavern without first making the table a meeting area.

That's incorrect.  Both martinuzz and I observed the same thing: if you create a dining room, and then make the dining room a tavern, the keepers don't work there.

I did it by digging the room, then building a table and chair inside it, querying the table, resizing the dining room, then pressing location, add location, inn/tavern, and so on.  That seemed like the logical way to do it.  Turns out that's not the way Toady was doing it.

The tread claimed that still wasn't sufficient, and that you needed to create a meeting area based on a zone as well. It didn't work for me, though, as my innkeeper still just simulates instruments and socializes.

You need a meeting area associated with the tavern, and a booze stockpile (inside that area?), and a chest/coffer full of mugs (inside that area?).

We're still learning all the details, obviously.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:07:34 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:20:11 pm »

You need a meeting area associated with the tavern, and a booze stockpile (inside that area?), and a chest/coffer full of mugs (inside that area?).
This is the only way I've made taverns and I get all the features we know to be working.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »

This is purely theory add i haven't played with it yet, but from what i read the booze stockpiles and bedrooms can be in separate zones and still included as part of that tavern so long as they're naked add the same "location".
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 04:57:10 pm »

This is purely theory add i haven't played with it yet, but from what i read the booze stockpiles and bedrooms can be in separate zones and still included as part of that tavern so long as they're naked add the same "location".
"Named as"?

Little Freudian slip there :P
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 05:40:18 pm »

@greycat: I think we're talking past each other, because your description of what doesn't work matches my description of what didn't work...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 05:46:43 pm »

In reply to the thread title:

apparently, one. To prevent vampiric guests from feasting on your dwarves
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2