Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Weird fistfights.  (Read 15933 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Weird fistfights.
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:36:05 pm »

So, some of my dwarves randomly started a fist fight. No one is unhappy, so it's not a tantrum.

And they are pretty serious about it. No deaths, but some major wounds and crippled dwarves !

The combat logs are unsure. There is a children who is a major actor and yet she is getting punched pretty hard.

Is that a loyalty cascade due to some random fist fight due to the new emotion system ?

Apparently someone became enraged due to arguing he felt insulted due to arguing, and then became enraged), then punched someone else, and then a punching spiral happened. It's not done yet.

Edit : Now the fistfight spreads over the fort. This is not what I wanted when I wanted to train some guys for combat... time to lock the fort and try to solve this without death.

I wonder if that's the new emotion system... if socialization is a ticking timebomb due to that, DF is bringing a whole lot of fun upon us :P

Or maybe it is a direct consequence of me having modded dwarves to like martial prowess more...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:38:32 pm by Naryar »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Weird fistfights.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »

Maybe it was a bar fight that just got out of control.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »

Socialization has ALWAYS been a ticking time-bomb when it comes to dwarves. The trick is to keep them busy busy busy so they don't have time for it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

On the emotion going extreme, in addition since DF2014 there's a nasty bug (that seems to still exist in 42.x) , related to corpses and how horrified dwarves seeing them will be , adding up stress level to their emotion every single time they see the same corpse :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7435

So now that sieges are back and that gob corpses will accumulate a lot (considering all gobs coming to siege your fort are weak skilled fighters), i recommend to use atom smasher to get rid of enemy corpses, so your dwarves will only be under the horror stress thing only once (when they transport the corpses to your atom smasher), as letting those corpses around will mean the horror will trigger regularly and you may lose several important dwarves to stress.

I had a legendary bone carver in df2014 that got hit by that problem, and would not work anymore
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg6340119#msg6340119
(note that she never saw any of the enemies dying, she only saw corpses in the stockpile for when she was using bones to craft things)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:18:11 pm by Robsoie »

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:31:22 pm »

wow, thats still around? it should be fixed or reduced with diminishing returns or SOMETHING.... whats more absurd is that it also affects non-sentient corpses, meaning that your dwarves will go insane unless you hide that corpse of a dead dingo or other some such nonsense

i just imagine specially trained CIA dwarves rushing a kitten corpse through secret underground tunnels to prevent the general public becoming exposed to the truth...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:43:41 pm »

No corpse-induced stress, dwarves are generally happy, no sieges yet. Besides, corpse-induced stress seems to have been seriously reduced this version.

Not a barfight either. It started next to my workshops.

I assume it is a feature.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:48:09 pm by Naryar »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

Corpse related stress seems to have been reduced considerably. However, I've seen a fair number of dorfs who like to brawl and like to argue, so I think a large part of it is dorfs letting off steam. We'll probably have to do something about the worst misfits...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »

No corpse-induced stress, dwarves are generally happy, no sieges yet. Besides, corpse-induced stress seems to have been seriously reduced this version.

Seems to me you should use that other feature: The sheriff?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 05:52:21 pm »

Seems to me you should use that other feature: The sheriff?

Justice is silent about the matter.

Also yeah... one of the rowdy dwarves made my only nurse dodge into a magma pit in the magma forges. So yeah. I assume I will have to do something about that.

And the dwarf who did that was involved in the first fight. So that's just rowdy dwarves, it seems.

The solution is magma, of course, but...

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 11:40:17 pm »

I've had one bar brawl. It was more of a domestic dispute though, between my leatherworker and her husband, the captain of the guard. It seems like the leatherworker has a tendency to argue, was pretty liquored up and the two came to blows. Things got dark pretty quick.

The squadmates of the CotG started helping him beat up his wife. The leatherworker lost her lower teeth, was covered in bruises and had fingers on both hands mangled. Some burly smiths stepped in and beat the everloving shit out of the CotG in what I can only assume is an expression of their opinion on domestic abuse. Then the marksdwarf squad started fighting the CotG's squad, and one another. My tavern was covered in teeth. The CotG ended up in a heap at the end of the brawl, shaken/scared.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:35:58 am »

Seems to me that this is probably intended behavior, being more or less what you would expect from a society of battle-crazed alcoholics.  Nobody died and it doesn't cause the whole fort to spiral into unrecoverable madness, so basically what you get out of it is a bit of a productivity hiccup in exchange for some free combat and medical training.

Dwarf behavior seems a lot more variable and personality seems more important now with the new motive and focus system, so maybe enlist your rowdier beards into the military so they can focus that energy on the goblins.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:43 am »

In the last bar fight I had in my fort, a child was beat to death with several *green glass goblet* by 2 fishery workers and a cheesemaker. Clockwork Orange ain't got nothin' on Dwarf Fortress.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:48 am »

I've had one bar brawl. It was more of a domestic dispute though, between my leatherworker and her husband, the captain of the guard. It seems like the leatherworker has a tendency to argue, was pretty liquored up and the two came to blows. Things got dark pretty quick.

The squadmates of the CotG started helping him beat up his wife. The leatherworker lost her lower teeth, was covered in bruises and had fingers on both hands mangled. Some burly smiths stepped in and beat the everloving shit out of the CotG in what I can only assume is an expression of their opinion on domestic abuse. Then the marksdwarf squad started fighting the CotG's squad, and one another. My tavern was covered in teeth. The CotG ended up in a heap at the end of the brawl, shaken/scared.

This is simply amazing
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:21 am »

This is simply amazing
It is terrifying.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 02:41:14 am »

Hold on, the fights don't count as crimes? That seems to be a bug that someone should report.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.
Pages: [1] 2 3